Why I like STR much more than Long-Term Renting

Why I like STR much more than Long-Term Renting

Realtor · Pocono Pines, PA · Member since 2019 · 183 posts · 108 votes

I've been involved in Real Estate for a year now. I jumped right in with a Short term rental management 

company (Liberty City Living). Throughout my time it was very fun to watch the company grow from a mere

60 units in Philadelphia managed, to over 200 managed in multiple markets just a year later. Ever since I was 

in high school learning about Investing and real estate and finance via Youtube, BP, books, podcasts, etc.

I knew that real estate would be my game to play. One strange thing occurred though, In my mind, Long term

renting would totally be what I got into, via Househacking a duplex or something of that nature, but when I 

started to get involved with property management of Short term rentals, my perspective changed dramatically.

My entire plan of Long Term renting would go straight out the window and now I was only after STR properties.

Here are some of the major reasons why I like STR much better than Long Term Renting:


Guests PAY FIRST, before getting info about how to get to the place and how to get in they must pay first, so there 

is no worry about a tenant paying on time.

Bad tenants are gone after the reservation, so it makes rowdy guest reservations quick and then they are gone

Tenants sometimes damage items whether it's long or short, but with STR, you are able to chargeback guests and 

get compensation for damaged or broken items at your place, so there isn't much worry there.

The rental income is typically much more than Longer-term renting as I have seen, you can expect a 2-3x increase

in cash flow for Short term rental properties compared to Long Term

When you offload the work to a Property management company, there is nothing to worry about as an owner you 

are simply able to collect a check each month and that's it. 

- Mike Eichler

                                                    What are your thoughts on these, are there any I missed?

5Reply
175 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

1. Management is not investing. 
2. long term or short term they’re both better than the stock market! 


See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
    3y

    I like both. I have 6 STR's that I own and self manage and I love them for different reasons. They are WORK... but I get to enjoy them, I get free vacations, I got to decorate them and I learned to love hosting. I enjoy creating vacations for families- that is very meaningful to me. My properties have grown in value from my first STR $30k down payment to a portfolio worth $4m+ in just 3 years. I did this because the STR's are in nice areas where I was able to build equity. That's it. The secret isn't the cashflow that everyone is going crazy about- its the equity and value and tapping into that is how you can grow like 1031 exchanges, cost segregation for taxes and cash out refi.

    I also have 10 LTR's that are so passive that I forget that I own them. They are managed out of state and they have small growth... these are long and steady strategy and will be paid off in 10-12 years and continue to grow on their own. I don't have crazy expectations for those- they are passive. 

    I think doing BOTH is key. mixing it up with everything- and EDUCATION, you learn by doing.....but you gotta know what your plan is before you jump in. Melissa

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Mike Eichler completely agree with you. There are also great tax benefits that come along with STRs.

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    3y

    I disagree. I make FAR more in value on my LTR than my STR. Why? Because LTR are value by Income Approach why STR are valued by comps. This is because of who buys them.

    STR's are predominantly purchased by very small investors. Banks that finance these will normally value them on what other "Like" properties sold in the building or nearby, regardless if the unit earned more revenue.


    LTR’s are looked at differently by a bank.  If you have a property with the same number of units and bedrooms but with greater revenue you will be valued higher.  This is where you make your large paybacks - higher incomes, lower expenses.  The difference between the two is higher cash flow and higher evaluation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.