Mid Term rental on primary in San Diego?

Mid Term rental on primary in San Diego?

New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Didn’t see a thread for midterm rentals so using the short term thread.

I have a portion of land on my Primary residence I will be putting a ADU on for mid term rentals to traveling nurses and college students.

My initial plan was to use a Heloc to finance this project but my concern is since it is on my primary residence I will not be able to refinance and pay the Heloc off like in a BRRRR deal and use the Heloc for further deals? Unless that is possible?

I also would like to avoid a cash out Refi since my current rate is 3.25.

What are your thoughts for a rookie investor?





0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    refinancing your primary in San Diego in that scenario would be a cash out refinance.

  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 739 posts · 410 votes
    4y

    Hi @Jordan Ray, you are correct in that you cannot refinance the ADU itself.

    However, you can refinance the entire property. At that point, you run into the issue of getting a higher rate. 

    The best way that I can see you doing it is to HELOC and then do a HELOAN at the end. It would be a fully amortizing, fixed-rate second lien that does not pay off the first lien so you keep the low rate. Granted, you would need enough equity for this.

    That would be my suggestion. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.