Are La Jolla STR regulation the same as San Deigo?

Are La Jolla STR regulation the same as San Deigo?

Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 7 votes

Hi SD BPers -

I am doing some research into STR regulations in SD and have found that there is now a 1% cap in SD and a 30% cap in mission beach.

As an out of towner, would anyone in this forum know if the 1% cap also applies to short term rentals in La Jolla, or are La Jolla STR under another jurisdiction? Anyone have any experience on this?


Thanks,

Marco

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 92 votes
4y

Yes, La Jolla falls under the jurisdiction of the City of San Diego. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 165 votes
    4y

    Hi @Marco Pangilinan. I don't have any direct experience owning an STR in CA, however I would imagine it's done by City. I'm not sure why there's a different cap because I thought Mission Beach was part of the City of San Diego. I also believe that La Jolla is considered a "Special Community" but still under the umbrella of the "City of San Diego". Sorry that's not more helpful!

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 92 votes
    4y

    Yes, La Jolla falls under the jurisdiction of the City of San Diego. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
    4y

    @Marco Pangilinan There is a way to get around this! If you are a primary resident and renting out the units you are not in while living on the property you get a permit outside of the 1%. I am looking to land a small multi to do that exact thing in san diego!

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Marco Pangilinan I'm going about this 2 ways on 2 separate properties, one is an owner occupied multifamily so qualifies for one of the exceptions and a separate property that will be 30+ days furnished only.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 176 votes
    4y

    Hi @Marco Pangilinan

    Are you planning on living in the property? La Jolla is in the city of San Diego and therefore falls under the 1% cap. You would be exempt from this if you used the property as a primary residence. You could also rent out 30+ days to avoid the 1% limitation. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.