STR Revenue Target vs Purchase Price

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan DempseyBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Pocono Pines, PA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 117 votes
4y

@Pretty Khare

These are great numbers, awesome to hear about the niche in Tampa.

To quickly sift and compare apples to apples, the minimum a property gross to purchase price ratio needs to be 1.67% in markets I underwrite in.

So for a 500K house, gross rent would need to hit at least $5000x1.67%, or $8,333 gross.

Generally I see STR expenses to be between 35-40% of gross if you have management in place, cleaning revenue, maintenance, utilities, etc.

Being conservative this leaves 60% of gross as NOI typically. If you want 1% rule on NOI (a minimum standard for a good deal in STR), then you'll need 1.67% gross (1/.6).

I know @Josh Messinger is seeing this in the Poconos as this is a market I invest in heavily, and I’m sure most of those Tampa rentals mentioned are in a similar boat.

STR is my sole focus, always ready to chat STR if you reach out!

Live Free,

JD

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Thanks William

    I appreciate the advice, it looks like I need to take a mini coarse on determining ROI COC LTV and a few other abbreviations. Anyhow we are neighbors it look like (Covington, Louisiana). I will connect to you and look forward to speaking to you in the future.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.