Worthington, OH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 7 votes
Good morning,
I am in contract for a condo in Destin. Preparing to rent it as a short term rental, I read that there needs to be an authorized “responsible part” that lives within 30 miles from the property and able to respond to any issues within an hour. Furthermore, there needs to be a “clear sign on the property with the name and contact information of the responsible party. The size of the signage should be 18″ x 18″ and should indicate the occupancy limits and parking information. You are also required to display the registration decal that you will obtain from the city in the upper left-hand corner of that sign. The sign should be posted within seven days after registration; no guest may stay in the home until the sign is posted”.
As an out of state owner who will be managing my own property, I do not know who can be this designated party. What’s more, I do not have friends or family in Destin.
I would greatly appreciate any ideas of how other out of town investors make this decision.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Yes, most people just use their cleaning company. They will charge you an extra monthly fee, like $100 mo. Given the fact that you're dealing with a Condo, does this deal still work?
And bear in mind that with a Condo and their HOA, the rules can change in a heartbeat. One bad event with another STR and they can close them all down overnight.....a bit risky...
Yes, most people just use their cleaning company. They will charge you an extra monthly fee, like $100 mo. Given the fact that you're dealing with a Condo, does this deal still work?
And bear in mind that with a Condo and their HOA, the rules can change in a heartbeat. One bad event with another STR and they can close them all down overnight.....a bit risky...
Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. I specifically invested in an area that is super short term rental common and friendly. It is a good reminder, however, that things can always change within an HOA.