How closely does Airbnb watch messages with guests?

How closely does Airbnb watch messages with guests?

Financial Advisor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 190 posts · 143 votes

For context, we built a local area guide (under construction) for our STR area. This also includes our direct booking page and every page of the website, has a link to our direct booking page. With time, we hope to build more articles & get this to rank in google which should bring more direct bookings.

1) If a guest asked for recommendations (through the Airbnb app) for local attractions, restaurants etc.   Currently, we have not sent the link to our website because it contains a direct booking link. 

2) We also send out a handful of links to private youtube videos we put together for various FAQ's (how to use door lock, pool cover, unlock interior doors etc.)  I'd like to add an outro to these videos with a link to our local area guide / direct booking site 

My question is, how closely does Airbnb monitor these links through their messaging app? IE - we don't want to get red flagged or kicked off of the platform because we are promoting our own direct bookings.  However, if it's a link at the END of a youtube FAQ video, will Airbnb ever see it?  
What are your thoughts on all of this? I want to tread carefully & stay below the radar... 

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
4y

@Daniel Murphy I can't speak to the specific set up you have, but I agree with some of the above posts that Airbnb has an automated algorithm that picks up emails, phones and key words sometimes. But mostly contact info and links inside the message body section.

What I do when a guest asks if they can book directly is: I make a point to respond that per the Airbnb rules I am not allowed to provide them with direct booking information or with the link to my direct booking site and that I always abide and respect the Airbnb rules. (I make sure I put that in the message in case Airbnb ever came after me.). After that I tell the guest that while I cannot provide them any information, they are free to look up online my rental company, my direct site and my credentials by googling Up At Sunrise Vacation rentals. I also cannot prevent them from researching and comparing prices for the property that might be available there or on other sites. (Airbnb can't prevent them from doing that either). At that time if guests want to book direct they find the site on their own and book there. 

Keep in mind that if you don't book anything through Airbnb and are successful in directing all to book directly, you will actually not get to be Super Host and will lose search positioning on Airbnb. So it's a balancing act. 

As for guests that have already stayed with me, I capture their email address when they sign my electronic rental agreement (a requirement of my house rules). Once I have that info, IF I liked them, I send them info about how to book directly next time if they would like to do so. On the other hand, if they were crappy or dirty guests, I don't send them that info, lol. My software automates those emails as long as I flag the ones I want to exclude. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I think they have automation to flag and remove links and phone numbers. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA · Member since 2021 · 180 posts · 158 votes
    4y

    Airbnb contract with guests is written as a limited license for the use of your property in this one instance. They have anonymized blocks prior to booking and then you can send links, contact, after the reservation is confirmed. Before booking for an inquiry if you want to promote..Yes you would have to get around them hiding your information. So if it’s a phone number it could be a “poem” like …two, then one two, after that three two three. And finally fifteen hundred =(212)323-1500

    I think you are fine to promote your global brand as long as you are not directly pulling people off site to book they will not be concerned. If the guest chooses to book next time directly with you, there is no rule against it. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y

    Side suggestion: 

    Guests walk in. One of the first things they will of course look for is the wifi password. Next to that is a tablet (with a bunjee lock thingie attaching it to the table/wall) and the words "pick me up!" 

    Once they pick it up and swipe, they are greeted with the content you want them to see. And a tablet they are free to use, too, provided they want to stay within 2 or 3 feet of that location. And perhaps there's a universal devise charger too, similarly locked down, for the guests that forget/lose/etc their own charger. 

    AirBnB will not have an opportunity to monitor this activity. 

    Quick glance online has the bunjee lock thingie at $15, universal charger another $15, plus whatever tablet you want to go with (your old Android/iPad from 1-2 generations ago, gathering dust somewhere, would probably work fine).

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    4y

    It is all algorithm based, I don't think are clicking the links you send.  With that being said, we are very careful to promote any sort of direct booking via the Airbnb app messenger.  If guests ask if we take direct bookings we say yes, but that is about the extent of it.  We do have a guidebook we push out that sits on Amazon webservices servers, it is a link that goes via an automated email message 2 days prior to check in.  It bypasses Airbnb systems.  We are constantly looking for them to rebook directly with us if they've enjoyed their stay.  Getting their email for follow-up, and of course signing the contract/security deposit is one way to ensure you have good contact to send them direct booking messages after their stay.

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    4y

    I am pretty sure that they legions of elves, much the like the keebler elves, that are constantly scouring the listings for just this type of activity....for all you know, I may be one of them!!! You are sooooo busted!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
    4y

    @Daniel Murphy I can't speak to the specific set up you have, but I agree with some of the above posts that Airbnb has an automated algorithm that picks up emails, phones and key words sometimes. But mostly contact info and links inside the message body section.

    What I do when a guest asks if they can book directly is: I make a point to respond that per the Airbnb rules I am not allowed to provide them with direct booking information or with the link to my direct booking site and that I always abide and respect the Airbnb rules. (I make sure I put that in the message in case Airbnb ever came after me.). After that I tell the guest that while I cannot provide them any information, they are free to look up online my rental company, my direct site and my credentials by googling Up At Sunrise Vacation rentals. I also cannot prevent them from researching and comparing prices for the property that might be available there or on other sites. (Airbnb can't prevent them from doing that either). At that time if guests want to book direct they find the site on their own and book there. 

    Keep in mind that if you don't book anything through Airbnb and are successful in directing all to book directly, you will actually not get to be Super Host and will lose search positioning on Airbnb. So it's a balancing act. 

    As for guests that have already stayed with me, I capture their email address when they sign my electronic rental agreement (a requirement of my house rules). Once I have that info, IF I liked them, I send them info about how to book directly next time if they would like to do so. On the other hand, if they were crappy or dirty guests, I don't send them that info, lol. My software automates those emails as long as I flag the ones I want to exclude. 

  • Property Manager · Lake Geneva, WI · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Chris Mason save the bungee cord setup and buy a subscription to www.yourwelcome.com - digital guest guidebook on a smart tablet built for short-term rental guests, collects guest emails, serves property guide info and videos, local recommendations, and upsell services...if it gets broken or stolen, it's replaced for free. 

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jason Smolarek:

    @Chris Mason save the bungee cord setup and buy a subscription to www.yourwelcome.com - digital guest guidebook on a smart tablet built for short-term rental guests, collects guest emails, serves property guide info and videos, local recommendations, and upsell services...if it gets broken or stolen, it's replaced for free. 


     One of these days, I'll invent something that no one else has. One of these days.... :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.