Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 11 votes
Hello! I live in Dallas TX. My friends has a home in the M-Streets with a detached 2 car garage. How do I find out if she is able to convert that into an ADU / mother in law suite? The home is technically in "duplex zoning". Just trying to confirm if this is an option for her.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Regardless of whether or not the city will allow it, there are other factors to consider. I dealt with this many times in the San Diego area and it was usually not possible to just 'turn a garage into an ADU'. ADUs are considered 'living space, whereas garages are not. Garages are not built as living space, the main consideration being the slab and it's lack of proper rebar, PSI, and vapor barrier.
I've been asked to have the slab X-Rayed to prove that it was up to current codes. A lot of times it was just easier to tear the garage down and start new.
So while you are at the city asking about zoning, ask about their interpretation of the code as well....
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Regardless of whether or not the city will allow it, there are other factors to consider. I dealt with this many times in the San Diego area and it was usually not possible to just 'turn a garage into an ADU'. ADUs are considered 'living space, whereas garages are not. Garages are not built as living space, the main consideration being the slab and it's lack of proper rebar, PSI, and vapor barrier.
I've been asked to have the slab X-Rayed to prove that it was up to current codes. A lot of times it was just easier to tear the garage down and start new.
So while you are at the city asking about zoning, ask about their interpretation of the code as well....
Regardless of whether or not the city will allow it, there are other factors to consider. I dealt with this many times in the San Diego area and it was usually not possible to just 'turn a garage into an ADU'. ADUs are considered 'living space, whereas garages are not. Garages are not built as living space, the main consideration being the slab and it's lack of proper rebar, PSI, and vapor barrier.
I've been asked to have the slab X-Rayed to prove that it was up to current codes. A lot of times it was just easier to tear the garage down and start new.
So while you are at the city asking about zoning, ask about their interpretation of the code as well....
Interesting. I would think a permitted garage built to code is doable. It would have adequate structure so long as you're not going up with a 2nd story. You would vapor barrier the floor, and raise the floor 2" with R 7 rigid insulation topped with plywood. It's those garages that people like me slap-up at a friends house on a weekend when no-ones looking that may be a problem. :)