Hello or HOWDY as the case may be here in Bryan College Station. I'm very new at investing. I was considering getting a 4 bedroom home for traditional 12 month housing. But the more I research, it seems that STR might be a better way to go. Bryan in particular seems like a better market for it. Does anyone else have experience in Bryan or College Station? What would you suggest to start out with? Any tips? Thanks in advance.
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Hey Grant,
STR are a strong move to increase cash flow. Naturally, the logistics of hosting guest is more involved as compared to the more passive long-term rentals. I believe strongly that STR can be a great tool in the a buy and hold investors' tool box.
CS - it can be difficult to operate in CS. They have local laws that prevent you from Airbnb'ing single-family homes unless they are your primary residence. And yes they do enforce these laws.
Bryan - Bryan has little to no regulations so really the only thing to watch out for are HOA rules and possible dead restrictions.
Some things to keep in mind with STR.
- furnishing costs add up quickly. I guestimate 7-9k for my 2-bedroom apartment and 10-12k for a 3 bedroom / 2 bath
- Hospitality taxes are likely your second biggest expense behind cleaning. In both CS and Bryan you'll owe 15% of your gross revenue to Uncle Sam.
My last tip: For quick analysis of potential income, I like to use Rabbu.com
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
Just make sure you're not overpaying for a property because the potential STR numbers work. If the LTR numbers work as well then move forward. I would get on airbnb and see who your competition is and see how you can be better
Real Estate Agent · College Station, TX · Member since 2020 · 124 posts · 68 votes
3y
Airbnb in College Station and Bryan does really well. It takes more time and isn't as passive although if this is your first investment I would say look into doing Airbnb to help out financially while getting started and like @Eliott Elias mentioned if it ends up not working for STR you can then switch it to LTR.
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Hey Grant,
STR are a strong move to increase cash flow. Naturally, the logistics of hosting guest is more involved as compared to the more passive long-term rentals. I believe strongly that STR can be a great tool in the a buy and hold investors' tool box.
CS - it can be difficult to operate in CS. They have local laws that prevent you from Airbnb'ing single-family homes unless they are your primary residence. And yes they do enforce these laws.
Bryan - Bryan has little to no regulations so really the only thing to watch out for are HOA rules and possible dead restrictions.
Some things to keep in mind with STR.
- furnishing costs add up quickly. I guestimate 7-9k for my 2-bedroom apartment and 10-12k for a 3 bedroom / 2 bath
- Hospitality taxes are likely your second biggest expense behind cleaning. In both CS and Bryan you'll owe 15% of your gross revenue to Uncle Sam.
My last tip: For quick analysis of potential income, I like to use Rabbu.com
STR are a strong move to increase cash flow. Naturally, the logistics of hosting guest is more involved as compared to the more passive long-term rentals. I believe strongly that STR can be a great tool in the a buy and hold investors' tool box.
CS - it can be difficult to operate in CS. They have local laws that prevent you from Airbnb'ing single-family homes unless they are your primary residence. And yes they do enforce these laws.
Bryan - Bryan has little to no regulations so really the only thing to watch out for are HOA rules and possible dead restrictions.
Some things to keep in mind with STR.
- furnishing costs add up quickly. I guestimate 7-9k for my 2-bedroom apartment and 10-12k for a 3 bedroom / 2 bath
- Hospitality taxes are likely your second biggest expense behind cleaning. In both CS and Bryan you'll owe 15% of your gross revenue to Uncle Sam.
My last tip: For quick analysis of potential income, I like to use Rabbu.com
Good luck!
@Gregory Schwartz - wow, excellent info. Question: If the deed restriction for the subdivision doesn't mention any rental restriction, would you consider that a go?
Does a deed restriction supercede any HOA rules? If the deed restriction doesn't mention anything about STR, but an HOA does, can it be legally enforced?
Airbnb in College Station and Bryan does really well. It takes more time and isn't as passive although if this is your first investment I would say look into doing Airbnb to help out financially while getting started and like @Eliott Elias mentioned if it ends up not working for STR you can then switch it to LTR.
Thank you, this is excellent info. Where would you recommend that is more passive for a first investment?
Just make sure you're not overpaying for a property because the potential STR numbers work. If the LTR numbers work as well then move forward. I would get on airbnb and see who your competition is and see how you can be better
@Eliott Elias
Makes sense, thank you. The market right now in BCS is higher than it should be. This seems to be in a high bubble.
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Deed restrictions are rarely enforced but they are 100% enforceable. Just depends on how nosey the neighbors are. In my case, my neighborhood's deed restriction committee dropped the hammer on my little operation. :(
From my experience, HOAs that mention restricting STR will enforce that rule, and yes they have all the authority to do so. Believe it or not, HOAs can actually foreclose on houses in the neighborhood.
@Gregory Schwartz wow, very good to know. thank you Gregory! What type of property would you most recommend in this current market in Bryan for a starting investor like me? SFH? or something different?
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 10 votes
3y
@Gregory Schwartz as an Aggie and STH, I would really watch out when pricing your Airbnb in BCS. Myself along with a bunch of my friends will book airbnbs the second the college football schedule drops. Even pricelabs can’t beat changing a price that fast. I would just ensure you don’t allow booking that far in advance and/or have a season where those weekends are already super high.
I haven’t fully vetted airbnbs in college station, but I know you can do pretty well if you maximized game days and graduations. Keep in mind thanksgiving 2024 is going to rake in a ton of money with the rivalry game returning
Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Hey @Ian Fortney I have made the mistake more than once not being aggressive enough for ring weekends, graduation weekends or home games. From my experience Pricelabs rent is about 20-30% under what the market demands on those weekends.