Hurricane Ian Damaged my Vacation Rental! Need experienced help!

Hurricane Ian Damaged my Vacation Rental! Need experienced help!

Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 7 votes

On September 28th, my vacation rental, which was set to bring in over 100k this year was flooded with 7.5 feet of water. It's currently gutted and we are just waiting, waiting, waiting on insurance. There's this FEMA 50% rule and we are not sure what to do. I live around the block and my actual home was also damaged, and my two tiny homes also flooded, so we've been dealing with a lot. Basically my whole business was destroyed in 24 hours...

The county has my property (w/o) land valued at $202,207.  It's 1435 sq feet.

I have $100,000 per the 50% rule to fix the whole property up without having to raise it to the current base flood elevation of 11 feet.  My contractor said it would be around $130/sq foot, but that he could mark the permits at 100k and tack the remainder of the balance onto my personal property.  Is this a bad idea?

I am also considering getting an appraisal to re-evaluate the building pre-storm, which I will most likely do.

My question is:

Has anyone been through this before?

Part of me is wondering if it's worth tearing down and rebuilding a new property just in case this happens again so I don't have to deal with possible flooding, and because it will make the property hopefully more valuable.  I applied for an SBA loan, which could potentially help with the additional cost to build.  I have not heard back on how much insurance will be giving me yet, but my total limit is $210,000, and they offer an extra $30k if you have to raise to the current base flood elevation.

What are the things I should consider when making this decision?

What steps should I take next?  I should be hearing back from insurance in the next month.

Anyone with experience in this please HELP! 

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y

If you have to do a complete rebuild, can you raise these up on raised foundations? I know it's more costly, just a thought....

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Lynzie Mackey. So sorry to hear about all this. I haven't any experience in this are but here are some thoughts.

    The insurance company isn't in the business of paying more unless it is in the policy. They won't just add the extra 30k.

    If it was me, I would rebuild if I could. Do more to make it more resistant to storm damage etc.

    I would also raise your rebuild rate a bunch. Our place is in north Idaho and does have some fire risk as we are out in the woods on Lake Coeur d'Alene. I just raised our rebuild rate to $350/sqft. You current rebuild value is about $150 per sqft which is very low.

    I haven't heard of the 100k per 50% rule before so it is difficult to help. Is that from FEMA? Is that part of your insurance?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I would keep it at the 100k with the contractor so you don't have it raise it this time.

    Does your insurance reimburse for lost rents during the rebuild? Most STR insurance has this.

  • Member since 2020 · 62 posts · 46 votes
    3y

    @Lynzie Mackey have you looked into getting a public adjuster to help you with your claim?

  • Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @michael 

    @Michael Baum Yes the 50% rule is from FEMA for flood damage... Good idea about the rebuild rate. I think FEMA just has different rules on flood policies. The 30k is for "Increased Cost of Compliance" and is a FEMA program, but you're right, it might not be easy to get. The 100k is based on the tax collectors

    @John 

    @John Underwood yes, my wind policy does have rental loss coverage, but they immediately denied me because I had a roof exclusion due to it being a flat roof and the damage was mainly done by flood.  I'm talking to a public adjuster about it now.

    I think I agree with not raising it if I don't have to.  The last time the island flooded like this was 60 years ago.  But nothings guaranteed!  Is there risk with having the contractor do this?

    @Bob Metry Meeting with one next week... Have you used one before?

  • Member since 2020 · 62 posts · 46 votes
    3y

    @Lynzie Mackey yes I have used public adjusters in the past. Good ones have been very beneficial for me getting claim amounts significantly higher than I could have received without their help. 

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 241 posts · 179 votes
    3y
    I wouldn't play the game of applying some of the cost of the rebuild to your personal residence to avoid bringing it to flood code. You will be better off in the long run bringing the structure's elevation above the flood level. This should reduce future flood insurance rates, increase the marketability of the home as well as decrease the chance of having to go through this in the future. The home should also gain storage space under it with the higher foundation.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    If you have to do a complete rebuild, can you raise these up on raised foundations? I know it's more costly, just a thought....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.