Any tips for acquiring private money for a glamp site?

Any tips for acquiring private money for a glamp site?

Real Estate Agent · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 17 votes

I have been looking to gather some private money to expand my glamp site near Houston. Has anyone raised money for this or found investors? Any tips on where to start besides family and friends? I've funded most by myself and my business partner but trying to see what are some ideas out there. Thanks! 

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
3y
Quote from @Garrett Brown:

I have been looking to gather some private money to expand my glamp site near Houston. Has anyone raised money for this or found investors? Any tips on where to start besides family and friends? I've funded most by myself and my business partner but trying to see what are some ideas out there. Thanks! 


 You are much better off waiting and funding on your own. More partners the worse off you will be in the long run. 

I’ve had offers to partner on deals in the smokies but it’s just not worth it to me unless it’s family. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Garrett Brown:

    I have been looking to gather some private money to expand my glamp site near Houston. Has anyone raised money for this or found investors? Any tips on where to start besides family and friends? I've funded most by myself and my business partner but trying to see what are some ideas out there. Thanks! 


     You are much better off waiting and funding on your own. More partners the worse off you will be in the long run. 

    I’ve had offers to partner on deals in the smokies but it’s just not worth it to me unless it’s family. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I agree about minimizing partners.

    What about an equity line or credit card?

    Can't be too expensive to expand a camp ground.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Sweat equity. Do it yourself. Rent tractor and backhoes for trenching. Pour your own pads, build your own structures. Figure it out. Huge savings for you....

  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Sweat equity. Do it yourself. Rent tractor and backhoes for trenching. Pour your own pads, build your own structures. Figure it out. Huge savings for you....

    I did this for my first STR on a full rehab, best decision I ever made. I'm mostly writing checks like @John Underwood now, but you learn a lot on the first one. Also, when you get in the ground you meet a lot of people locally. I had some help from several people, but they respect you more for doing it yourself and seeing you working on it. As a result of this, I now have a licensed GC and electrician who will do any job for me now for a ridiculous low price and top priority. They like doing work for me, and they don’t view me as just another “out of state investor” because I was on the ground working in the trenches alongside them. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Carbone:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Sweat equity. Do it yourself. Rent tractor and backhoes for trenching. Pour your own pads, build your own structures. Figure it out. Huge savings for you....

    I did this for my first STR on a full rehab, best decision I ever made. I'm mostly writing checks like @John Underwood now, but you learn a lot on the first one. Also, when you get in the ground you meet a lot of people locally. I had some help from several people, but they respect you more for doing it yourself and seeing you working on it. As a result of this, I now have a licensed GC and electrician who will do any job for me now for a ridiculous low price and top priority. They like doing work for me, and they don’t view me as just another “out of state investor” because I was on the ground working in the trenches alongside them. 

    Thank you for this info! I can definitely see the benefits as I've done alot of work myself already and have met some great local workers. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Carbone:
    Quote from @Garrett Brown:

    I have been looking to gather some private money to expand my glamp site near Houston. Has anyone raised money for this or found investors? Any tips on where to start besides family and friends? I've funded most by myself and my business partner but trying to see what are some ideas out there. Thanks! 


     You are much better off waiting and funding on your own. More partners the worse off you will be in the long run. 

    I’ve had offers to partner on deals in the smokies but it’s just not worth it to me unless it’s family. 


     Thank you alot for this. I agree for sure and I have been struggling to figure out how to expand more quickly. I think I need to just keep getting cash flow and then stack up ready for my next site build. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Carbone:
    Absolutely! Once you have been in the trenches and sweated and bled with the guys, you are a part of the team. That alone is worth doing it for. Buy an occasional lunch, bring donuts once in a while...Friday go get a 12 pack for the boys...
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.