Short-term rental feasibility in strict Grand Rapids District

Short-term rental feasibility in strict Grand Rapids District

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

All, 

I'm just starting out and have been looking into various options for my first REI purchase. Lately, I have been looking at investing in a small 1-2 bedroom condo. I have no doubt that once I save enough money to purchase a second investment opportunity, which would allow me to move out of the condo and rent it out, that it will cash flow. It is located right by Medical Mile and there is a very good chance I could get a long-term tenant or even explore medium-term renters.

However, in order for me to be able to save up for another property, I'll have to save and get creative in order to make the condo cash-flow or at least curb some of the rent for the first year. My plan is to air bnb the entire condo. I have a unique situation in which my parents have a second small beach house (which is where I currently live). My plan would be to list my condo on airbnb and whenever I have tenants, just stay at my parent's second home. Essentially, I'd be living in two spaces depending on tenant occupancy. 

Mainly I'm just looking to see if this is even possible. I know that this would technically not be in accordance with the city of Grand Rapids Airbnb restrictions. But how risky exactly is that? Does the city of Grand Rapids check up on Airbnb for people that are breaking the rules? Do condo buildings do that? What would the repercussions be? Has anyone done that in this community? 


Thanks for any and all comments. 

Cheers,

Seamu

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y

If it's illegal to do why take that chance?

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    If it's illegal to do why take that chance?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Exactly what @John Underwood said there @Seamus Crane.

    It doesn't bode well for your investing journey to plan to break the law.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Not a risk I would be willing to take 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    3y

    It's legal in GR but you have to have a class B business license. We are currently getting ours for a property right now as it allows us to rent 1 bedroom as a short-term rental. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions. The city is cracking down really hard right now so I would just get apply for the license before you list it on any of the platforms. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.