Advice Needed- Revenue Analysis & Listing Onboarding Specialist

Advice Needed- Revenue Analysis & Listing Onboarding Specialist

Specialist · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 51 votes

Hello Investors,

I am looking for advice from property managers, virtual assistants and people who use virtual assistants to operate their business.

Aside from STR projects, I freelance my services to management companies. My first client who I have had since December has been paying "per project." What I do are comprehensive revenue analysis and if the home owner likes the financials, the company has me onboard the listing onto Airbnb & VRBO. I take a lot of time to get accurate comparables of the home, input my numbers and calculations on an expansive Google Sheet and give numbers based on 25th, 75th and 90th percentile. If that moves to the next step, I create the listings. I do research on popular attractions near by and by no means is this listing made up of "fluff." In fact, I feel like I know the house in and out when I am done.... Anyways to the point.

The company wants to have "access" to me through out the month for basically unlimited analysis and listings for a monthly rate. I asked what they had in mind and after I did the math it does not make sense at all for me but they are insistent. They also want me to look at a list of possible listings to be onboarded and instead of doing a rev. analysis and tell them "yes proceed with this home" or "no not worth your time or money."- Basically not wanting to pay for a revenue analysis but getting a professional opinion. As a young woman in the industry I do not want to taken advantage of but I want to come up with a compromise where we are both happy.

To The Bigger Pockets Community, do you pay your assistants a flat fee per month or per project? I don't want to lose a client but I don't want to compromise myself either. I am looking forward to your expert advice!

Thanks,

Emily

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

Would need to know more about this but what it sounds like to me is... You have a property management company that wants to hire you but you want more money than they want to give you? So. Sounds like a pretty easy decision.

Don't take the job. Or. If you don't have other options and want to grow.. take the job and learn as much as you can until you can get yourself into a better opportunity.

I've taken many jobs that didn't pay much. But my broke rear end didn't have any options in those days.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Would need to know more about this but what it sounds like to me is... You have a property management company that wants to hire you but you want more money than they want to give you? So. Sounds like a pretty easy decision.

    Don't take the job. Or. If you don't have other options and want to grow.. take the job and learn as much as you can until you can get yourself into a better opportunity.

    I've taken many jobs that didn't pay much. But my broke rear end didn't have any options in those days.

  • Specialist · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 51 votes
    3y
    I was hired in December and now they want to make changes. Hope that helps! I’ve been in the industry since 2017 honing in on my skills. I ventured into the analytics side of things BECAUSE of my knowledge. Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Would need to know more about this but what it sounds like to me is... You have a property management company that wants to hire you but you want more money than they want to give you? So. Sounds like a pretty easy decision.

    Don't take the job. Or. If you don't have other options and want to grow.. take the job and learn as much as you can until you can get yourself into a better opportunity.

    I've taken many jobs that didn't pay much. But my broke rear end didn't have any options in those days.


  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Emily K., this can be tough or easy. @Luke Carl laid it out pretty well and you just have to decide.

    When I was working, I used to get hired out on occasion as an expert on specific systems integrations for large businesses. They charged a flat rate per hour plus travel and expenses when I had to fly there.

    If you already have a contract in place (you do have a contract right?), then you need to enforce that.

    You could make things more basic. Easy analysis rather than the in depth you have been doing.

    If they want the level of analysis you provided before, they need to pay for it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    Definitely make sure you get paid what you are worth.  Otherwise, you will regret it and feel like you aren't being valued while doing said work...which in turn might make you not work as hard.  It's a vicious cycle.  I'd be happy to talk directly about rates, etc.  Feel free to message me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.