STR Deal Analysis - Seller Financing Marrakesh Morocco

STR Deal Analysis - Seller Financing Marrakesh Morocco

Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 172 votes

Hello everyone!  I am considering expanding overseas and looking at a property in Marrakesh, Morocco, and would like to your thoughts on this property.  My offer has been accepted, and I need to decide if I go through with it this week or not.  Here is some information:

4B/4B Riad in Bab Doukkala (just meters from the Medina), with pool and highest rooftop view in the area.  Comes fully furnished.
Purchase Price:  €280,00
Down payment: 50%
Cash to close: €165,422
Loan: 5%, term 5 years
Monthly PITI: €2,962
USD to Euro is $0.91 currently, but will probably strengthen in the next couple of months

I used the enemy method of comping other Airbnbs with 4B in the same neighborhood.  I think that nightly rates could range between $214 - 320.  Occupancy looks pretty good for the area with May being about 40-50% booked.

If I assumed the worst case (lowest pricing and 40% occupancy, the monthly rents would be $2,611 and annually that would be $31,330).
Most likely case is $250 per night at 50% occupancy.  Monthly rates would be $3,813 which would be $45,750 per year.
Optimistic would be $320 per night at 50-60% occupancy which would range $4,880-5850 per month, and $58k-70k per year.

I know that the rents are in $ but I would collect rents in € because the loan will need to be repaid in EUR, and I will want to limit my FX exposure until I get the loan paid off.

Thoughts on this deal?  My wife is nervous about it being so far away from our comfort zone.

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Ian Tyndall, well this is an interesting buy. For me, it would too far out of my comfort zone.

    You are definitely investing a lot of cash up front. I guess one of my biggest worries would be getting back out if things go south. How is the ownership structured? Do you actually own the property or does another entity own it?

    Who do you plan to cater to as far as guests go?

  • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 172 votes
    3y

    It is usual business practice in Morocco for the down payment to be 50% or more.

    My target audience would mostly be US, UK and French travelers.  There is a lot of increasing demand for this market as people chase unique destinations and lower costs.  A non-stop flight to Marrakech from Washington Dulles will open by the end of the year on Royal Air Maroc which will open up the market even more.  It is only a 5 hour flight from IAD.  The current flight goes into Cassablanca and requires a connection.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Well @Ian Tyndall, I just can't provide any real help here. Personally I don't see myself going there, ever. Not my cup of tea.

    Have you chatted with any local property managers to see what they say about the market?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.