Cool feature I found for the Roku TV many people are using

Cool feature I found for the Roku TV many people are using

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes

I found this by accident.

Log into your Roku account on your computer.

Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.

12Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @John Underwood:
Quote from @Ken Boone:
Quote from @John Underwood:

I found this by accident.

Log into your Roku account on your computer.

Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.


 So I have not used guest mode on my Rokus because I was afraid that once I do that, then the Xfinity Stream app (which provides my cable TV and local channels on all my Roku devices through out each cabin) will be logged out as well.  Have you tested that by chance?


 No I haven't.  I have Direct TV at this property. I'd like to know how this works too because we have the xfinity app on many of the TVs at our cabin.

Same question if your running YouTube TV.


 Well I did find a few threads on reddit, asking if the feature existed to allow you to login to certain apps and leave them logged in while in guest mode.   The answers were pretty clear that both YouTube TV and Xfinity Stream will be logged out.  That pretty much kills guest mode for me.  

Honestly I have been running this way for 5 years and yea every now and then (maybe once a year) a guest might notify us that they forgot to logout.  But other than that no issues.  The Roku account I use in my STRs is different than my home account so no big worries.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Wow! I had no idea! I am going to give it a shot and see how it works.

    Maybe we can add a splash screen!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Ok, logged in and turned on guest mode. You can add up to 2 lines of text.

    No way to add a custom splash screen. Still a very cool thing.

  • Ricky A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chapel Hill, NC · Member since 2014 · 135 posts · 112 votes
    3y

    We've used guest mode for a few years on all our units, but I never knew you could customize a message.  Will definitely check this out!

  • Jim MuellerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Central NY · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    That’s awesome! Going to have to take a look. Thanks for sharing. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    That's cool! I stayed at a Resort in Scottsdale where by the time you got to your suite, it had your name streaming on the TVs....it was kinda classy...

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I found this by accident.

    Log into your Roku account on your computer.

    Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

    You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

    This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

    What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

    You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.


     So I have not used guest mode on my Rokus because I was afraid that once I do that, then the Xfinity Stream app (which provides my cable TV and local channels on all my Roku devices through out each cabin) will be logged out as well.  Have you tested that by chance?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I found this by accident.

    Log into your Roku account on your computer.

    Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

    You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

    This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

    What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

    You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.


     So I have not used guest mode on my Rokus because I was afraid that once I do that, then the Xfinity Stream app (which provides my cable TV and local channels on all my Roku devices through out each cabin) will be logged out as well.  Have you tested that by chance?


     No I haven't.  I have Direct TV at this property. I'd like to know how this works too because we have the xfinity app on many of the TVs at our cabin.

    Same question if your running YouTube TV.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I found this by accident.

    Log into your Roku account on your computer.

    Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

    You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

    This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

    What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

    You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.


     So I have not used guest mode on my Rokus because I was afraid that once I do that, then the Xfinity Stream app (which provides my cable TV and local channels on all my Roku devices through out each cabin) will be logged out as well.  Have you tested that by chance?


     No I haven't.  I have Direct TV at this property. I'd like to know how this works too because we have the xfinity app on many of the TVs at our cabin.

    Same question if your running YouTube TV.


     Well I did find a few threads on reddit, asking if the feature existed to allow you to login to certain apps and leave them logged in while in guest mode.   The answers were pretty clear that both YouTube TV and Xfinity Stream will be logged out.  That pretty much kills guest mode for me.  

    Honestly I have been running this way for 5 years and yea every now and then (maybe once a year) a guest might notify us that they forgot to logout.  But other than that no issues.  The Roku account I use in my STRs is different than my home account so no big worries.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I found this by accident.

    Log into your Roku account on your computer.

    Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

    You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

    This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

    What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

    You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.


     So I have not used guest mode on my Rokus because I was afraid that once I do that, then the Xfinity Stream app (which provides my cable TV and local channels on all my Roku devices through out each cabin) will be logged out as well.  Have you tested that by chance?


     No I haven't.  I have Direct TV at this property. I'd like to know how this works too because we have the xfinity app on many of the TVs at our cabin.

    Same question if your running YouTube TV.


     Well I did find a few threads on reddit, asking if the feature existed to allow you to login to certain apps and leave them logged in while in guest mode.   The answers were pretty clear that both YouTube TV and Xfinity Stream will be logged out.  That pretty much kills guest mode for me.  

    Honestly I have been running this way for 5 years and yea every now and then (maybe once a year) a guest might notify us that they forgot to logout.  But other than that no issues.  The Roku account I use in my STRs is different than my home account so no big worries.


     Good information to know, thanks for researching it!

  • Investor · DC | MI | TN · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I found this by accident.

    Log into your Roku account on your computer.

    Under My Streaming Devices and TV's:

    You might already have guest mode selected for your STR Roku devices or TV's, if not you can turn this on here.

    This will automatically log out your guests from all their streaming accounts.

    What I just found was that you can customize a welcome message that the guest will see when they arrive and turn on the TV for the first time.

    You could say welcome to "insert name of your STR here" or even get crazy and put each guest name in before they arrive.


     So I have not used guest mode on my Rokus because I was afraid that once I do that, then the Xfinity Stream app (which provides my cable TV and local channels on all my Roku devices through out each cabin) will be logged out as well.  Have you tested that by chance?


     No I haven't.  I have Direct TV at this property. I'd like to know how this works too because we have the xfinity app on many of the TVs at our cabin.

    Same question if your running YouTube TV.


     Well I did find a few threads on reddit, asking if the feature existed to allow you to login to certain apps and leave them logged in while in guest mode.   The answers were pretty clear that both YouTube TV and Xfinity Stream will be logged out.  That pretty much kills guest mode for me.  

    Honestly I have been running this way for 5 years and yea every now and then (maybe once a year) a guest might notify us that they forgot to logout.  But other than that no issues.  The Roku account I use in my STRs is different than my home account so no big worries.

    @Ken Boone have you had any issues with guests logging out of your streaming tv service (YouTube TV, Xfinity etc.) and not being able to log back in? Do you know whether Roku allows you to disable logout of certain apps so that can be prevented?

    I'm about to start renting my first STR, and I've put Roku TVs throughout it. I'm hoping to have a seamless streaming TV experience and avoid having to give guests passwords or help them troubleshoot if they accidentally sign out of the streaming TV account.


    The issue you mentioned of guests forgetting  to log out of their own accounts shouldn’t be a problem (for you) because most services allow people to remotely log out. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Castellino:


    I'm about to start renting my first STR, and I've put Roku TVs throughout it. I'm hoping to have a seamless streaming TV experience and avoid having to give guests passwords or help them troubleshoot if they accidentally sign out of the streaming TV account.


    The issue you mentioned of guests forgetting  to log out of their own accounts shouldn’t be a problem (for you) because most services allow people to remotely log out. 


     Unless things have changed in the past few months there is no way to have an always signed in account on a channel on Roku when operating in guest mode so I don't use guest mode.  Guests just sign in to whatever apps they want to use and logout when finished.  Occasionally, a guest forgets to logout.  Hasn't been a big deal in over 5 years of doing it this way.

    Xfinity is the cable company I use, so I can use their Xfinity streaming app across all my Roku devices at my cabins.  So basically I log in to that account and leave it logged in.  From what I have experienced, there are situations that cause that to be logged out though.  I don't know if it just times out after a certain period or what, but every now and then I check it on a Roku device and it is not logged in.  

    If that happens, you just ask the guest to sign in and it will prompt them with a URL and a code.  You just need to go to that URL and punch in the code from your Xfinity account.  You can do this on your phone, and it will log you back in.  No need to give the guest a password or anything.  

    I do check to see if that is logged on random devices when I am at my cabins, and it happens every now and then.  I have only had it happen on one guest though the whole time so it has not been a big deal for me.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    So I was just at the lake house for Thanksgiving. getting it setup for guests.

    I turned on the TV and totally forgot that I setup guest mode.

    I will say that it works like a charm! I just put in the date of my exit and everything worked just fine.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    So I was just at the lake house for Thanksgiving. getting it setup for guests.

    I turned on the TV and totally forgot that I setup guest mode.

    I will say that it works like a charm! I just put in the date of my exit and everything worked just fine.


     Did you customize the splash screen with your house name?

  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I found this by accident.

    Thanks John! Very helpful information.
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    So I was just at the lake house for Thanksgiving. getting it setup for guests.

    I turned on the TV and totally forgot that I setup guest mode.

    I will say that it works like a charm! I just put in the date of my exit and everything worked just fine.


     Did you customize the splash screen with your house name?

    I did! Says "Welcome to the Idaho Lake Retreat!"

    Looks pretty cool actually. No graphic which I would love to do.
  • Investor · DC | MI | TN · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @Mark Castellino:


    I'm about to start renting my first STR, and I've put Roku TVs throughout it. I'm hoping to have a seamless streaming TV experience and avoid having to give guests passwords or help them troubleshoot if they accidentally sign out of the streaming TV account.


    The issue you mentioned of guests forgetting  to log out of their own accounts shouldn’t be a problem (for you) because most services allow people to remotely log out. 


     Unless things have changed in the past few months there is no way to have an always signed in account on a channel on Roku when operating in guest mode so I don't use guest mode.  Guests just sign in to whatever apps they want to use and logout when finished.  Occasionally, a guest forgets to logout.  Hasn't been a big deal in over 5 years of doing it this way.

    Xfinity is the cable company I use, so I can use their Xfinity streaming app across all my Roku devices at my cabins.  So basically I log in to that account and leave it logged in.  From what I have experienced, there are situations that cause that to be logged out though.  I don't know if it just times out after a certain period or what, but every now and then I check it on a Roku device and it is not logged in.  

    If that happens, you just ask the guest to sign in and it will prompt them with a URL and a code.  You just need to go to that URL and punch in the code from your Xfinity account.  You can do this on your phone, and it will log you back in.  No need to give the guest a password or anything.  

    I do check to see if that is logged on random devices when I am at my cabins, and it happens every now and then.  I have only had it happen on one guest though the whole time so it has not been a big deal for me.

     @Ken Boone great point about being able to log in remotely via the URL. That’s a reasonable fix for occasions when the service gets logged out. 

    YouTube TV doesn’t appear to require periodic re-logins. It would be ideal if there’s a way to prevent people from logging out. I’m going to play around with the settings to see if you can do it under Parental Controls, or something similar. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.