Creating direct booking site for STR's. What is your experience and advice?

Creating direct booking site for STR's. What is your experience and advice?

New to Real Estate · St. Louis · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 11 votes

We are creating a direct booking site for our short and medium term rentals and I am interested in hear your experience and advice. 

We use Hospitable.com as our PMS and they make calendar integration and payment through stripe easy enough. 


I am wondering how people handle security deposits (or other protection) for short term guests?

How do you handle leases for medium term guests, 1-6 months. 

What marketing do you do?

What other advice can you give?

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 16 votes
3y

Hey Jacob,

I personally don't deal with security deposits anymore, but I do collect non refundable pet deposits. My STR insurance through Waivo covers what I would have usually collected as a security deposit if I do need to file a claim. The guest pays for that insurance coverage through an "admin" fee. Will only be $25 or so per reservation.

We just use a standard rental agreement.

Outside of the main OTA's, we've had much success on FurnishedFinder and referrals through local Facebook groups. People often get mid term leads that they don't have room for so every once in a while it works out for someone in the group.  

Make sure while using FurnishedFinder you are actively reaching out to every lead that pops up, even if your property may not be an exact fit. People that are too passive on FurnishedFinder don't have much success with it.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Hey Jacob,

    I personally don't deal with security deposits anymore, but I do collect non refundable pet deposits. My STR insurance through Waivo covers what I would have usually collected as a security deposit if I do need to file a claim. The guest pays for that insurance coverage through an "admin" fee. Will only be $25 or so per reservation.

    We just use a standard rental agreement.

    Outside of the main OTA's, we've had much success on FurnishedFinder and referrals through local Facebook groups. People often get mid term leads that they don't have room for so every once in a while it works out for someone in the group.  

    Make sure while using FurnishedFinder you are actively reaching out to every lead that pops up, even if your property may not be an exact fit. People that are too passive on FurnishedFinder don't have much success with it.

  • Investor · Tallahassee · Member since 2019 · 249 posts · 93 votes
    3y

    I agree with Allen, outside of Airbnb and VRBO, next best option is FurnishedFinders and Referrals. 

    Look into StayFi. Guests have to give you their email to use the WIFI so you can have them repeat guests in the future and you can redirect them to your direct booking site so you can advertise to them

    I've heard of using google vacations as another avenue

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Jacob Switzer. So we don't use a direct booking site yet. I have a domain but haven't really moved on it. Wordpress is going to be my friend. :)

    So a medium term rental is just a long term rental with a short stay date. You will need a lease and full background of those that want to stay. Without it, you will be stuck.

    FurnishedFinder is the best place that I know of where you can find those that are looking for longer term housing for travel. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.