Looking for builders & architects for STR construction in Gatlinburg

Looking for builders & architects for STR construction in Gatlinburg

Brentwood, TN · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes

Hey folks. We bought a lot in Gatlinburg a few months ago and would like to begin interviewing home builders and possibly architects. I've read through the forum, but am looking for more recent feedback than what I found. We're targeting 1,800 - 2,500 square feet to be used as a short term rental with some personal use. We're open to separating the design from the builder, but also spoke to a couple builders that have design in-house. Lot has a view, city water and utilities, and a very flexible HOA.

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
2y

I would try and find plans you like and skip the architect. 

We have a 6 bedroom cabin with game room and movie room.

It has 4 bedrooms downstairs each with their own private bedroom.  

2 bedrooms upstairs each with private bathroom.

The Gameroon downstairs has a half bath.

They built the house around almost 10k gallons of water storage tanks.

If this cabin were destroyed I would build it back exactly the same as I love the layout.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Mike H., do a search and you will find some topics on this.

    Short answer is that building is going to take a while. 18 months minimum I think.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    I would try and find plans you like and skip the architect. 

    We have a 6 bedroom cabin with game room and movie room.

    It has 4 bedrooms downstairs each with their own private bedroom.  

    2 bedrooms upstairs each with private bathroom.

    The Gameroon downstairs has a half bath.

    They built the house around almost 10k gallons of water storage tanks.

    If this cabin were destroyed I would build it back exactly the same as I love the layout.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Just be careful with who the builder is there are a LOT of not only terrible builders but down right scrupulous builders in that market.  I know I have been down that road with 3 different builders personally and have friends that been down that road with other builders as well.  

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 681 posts · 476 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I would try and find plans you like and skip the architect. 

    We have a 6 bedroom cabin with game room and movie room.

    It has 4 bedrooms downstairs each with their own private bedroom.  

    2 bedrooms upstairs each with private bathroom.

    The Gameroon downstairs has a half bath.

    They built the house around almost 10k gallons of water storage tanks.

    If this cabin were destroyed I would build it back exactly the same as I love the layout.


    OP should first determine what the scope of work is and what is necessary at your local municipality/Building Dept to do the new build. If you'll need an architect/engineer to sign and seal/stamp permit drawings, you'll be paying twice for plans if you "find plans you like" online. Go directly to an Architect with the ideas you have for the project/property. 

    -Jared W. Smith, RA - Principal Architect at Architect Owl PLLC (Licensed in NY & CT)
       

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    If possible, I would suggest finding and tweaking plans on your own and going that route. If you really want an architect then there are 2 solid companies that I would recommend. Compass is one of them and I can connect you.

    Builder wise, there are so many in there are so be careful because there are quite a few scammers. I have a short list of builders I trust that do excellent work within their timeline. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.