Does anyone own short term rental in Rocklin CA?

Does anyone own short term rental in Rocklin CA?

Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone,

I own a single-family rental property located in the Rocklin area with the zip code 95677. It has been occupied by tenants for a few years now and it cashflow but not by a lot. Lately, I've been contemplating the idea of venturing into the short-term rental market and I'm considering whether converting this property could be a good start. I've checked out Airbnb listings in my area but only found a few listing. Roseville does has a lot of more listing tho. I also look at data from AirDNA but I'm uncertain about its accuracy for my area.

As this would be my first time doing short-term rental, I would like to gather insights and feedback from the community at BiggerPockets, those who own properties in my area. Since I don't live in Sacramento, I'm curious about the demand for Airbnb in my area. Any guidance or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

2Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
2y

First I would see what the regulations are there especially if there are only a few listings. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Gab Loo. So did you search on VRBO as well? It is important to use both to verify the viability of STRs in an area.

    AirDNA can be hit or miss depending on how many rentals are in a specific area, but looking at overall listings on both AirBNB and VRBO can help add to the data points.

    You have to ask yourself what would bring folks to Rocklin? Is there a lot of cool stuff to do? There is a reason that there are only a few on AirBNB.

    Another thing is that it appears that you are limited to 90 days max as a STR.

    Here is the site that talks about running a STR in Rocklin -

    EDIT - Still having trouble posting links. They get removed. Here is another attempt.

    ssshttps://www.rocklin.ca.us/form/lasting-success-short-term-re...sss

  • Sara KlausBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I helped a client purchase a property in Roseville (Not Rocklin.. but close) that had an ADU they rented as a mid-term rental. The previous owner exclusively rented to traveling nurses, and they continued to do the same for the first couple of years after purchasing. I may still have their rental data, if you'd like to see it.

    The size of your house will make a big difference on your success in Rocklin as well. The clients I've worked with had issues with parties for their larger homes and ended up leaning towards traditional rentals or mid-term. Requiring a longer stay will help decrease your issues with parties. 

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    2y

    First I would see what the regulations are there especially if there are only a few listings. 

  • Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
    2y

    Hey Gab, yeah, STR's are very much location and property specific. Also, there is more volatility in the rental strategy. If you want to go down the STR road, I'd suggest making sure the property pencils as an MTR/LTR as a back plan. I've helped many BP members buy STR's and MTR's in the Roseville/Rocklin area. Be happy to chat over the phone if you'd like. Best of luck.

    Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    I do apologize for my late reply everyone. Was busy with my 2 years old couldn't get to my laptop

    Michael Baum Thank you so much for pointing out 90 days limit. I have been to that page but some how I didn't see that limitation. In that case STR isn't a good fit for Rocklin then. Thank you again!

    Sara Klaus I have never thought about mid-term rental in rocklin. I would love to heard what are the demand there. I will dm you my property address

    Scott Scoville I will reach out to you today!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.