Orange beach new construction house for str

Orange beach new construction house for str

Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes

Greetings, we are beginners with str investing, went under contract for a new construction house, 3/3.5, 2000 sq ft, across the street from the beach, good area with many restaurants and entertainment. Having cold feet! Estimates say the rental potential is 55 to 75k a year. I notice a lot of competition from beach front condos of the same size. The community has 120 houses, similar size, all eligible to be strs. Large community pool, 2400 Hoa a year. The house is not on a water. We are  6 hour drive away, so plan to use management comp. No mortgage, so can skip the insurance (is it a good idea at all?). My hope is if it will not give lots of cashflow, at least we’ll cover the expenses and it will appreciate as the area will develop, inflation raises etc. My thinking- many ppl escape Florida now bc of taxes and insurance cost. Maybe Alabama cost will flourish soon. Any thoughts? Should we do it? Have to decide by Friday. 

1Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 447 posts · 441 votes
2y

Please do not skip out on good insurance!!!! This is your first line of defense if something goes wrong

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2024 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalia V.:
    Quote from @Annie Seurer

    I have a few thoughts:
    -Homes just off the water (in walking distance) almost always have better ROI due to lower purchase price. It's honestly the prime location.
    -Is there a garage? Can you convert into another bedroom? 
    -Don't skip insurance! 
    -I know the panhandle well in terms of STRs. We had quite a few there with the last large fund I was with and A LOT of the homes look exactly the same and have all the same amenities. I think this area is prime to stand out but you'll need to spend likely more than 30k to furnish and amenitize. I think 25k to furnish, stage and stock with essentials (linens, towels, kitchen, etc.) Then, I would add some stand out amenities and convert the garage if you can (or another small space if available). This should significantly boost your revenue and make you stand out among the competition. 

    Thank you Annie, that’s helpful. 
    the community is 3 min drive/12min walk to the beach. Some homes are smaller 1500sq ft on pillars, which gives them three parking spaces under the house. Our chosen house is bigger but on a slab, I liked it bc it’s more spacious and looks better quality with tall ceiling etc. But no garage :/. Pillar ones do not have any backyard. We have nice size backyard, all sand, I was thinking to add a sitting area/outdoor eating area/firepit. Private pools not allowed, maybe a hot tub, still don’t have definitive answer if it’s allowed. The subdivision is on the wetlands, its nature protected area. You are exactly right, the houses that stand out (wetland view, kids game room..) have already more reviews on Vrbo in this subdivision. We’d have to stand out somehow. Does the pillar home make more sense, same 3/3,5 but it’s 500 sq ft smaller. It’s also cheaper 675k. 
    I love a large backyard - there is so much you can do! Some people don't think hot tubs are necessary in Florida, but when you are that far north, I think absolutely! We have done cool hot tub bars that people love and it's low cost. A firepit would be great too if allowed - the more seating areas you have the better. I wonder if you could fit a little game back there, too. 

    If the home on pillars had a backyard I would say go with that one, but it sounds like that isn't an option. Your hero shot will likely be your fun backyard. 

    Are golf carts allowed? If so, this can be a great option to make extra cash. 
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Yes, golf carts allowed! My thinking hot tub would attract guests in winter months, when you can’t swim in the gulf or community pool. 

  • Interior Decorator · Charlotte NC · Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    2y

    My advice would be to knock it out of the park in terms of design and amenities and then you have less to worry about when it comes to the competition. Take a close look at properties that are doing well nearby and see how you can model what they are doing and then add some extra perks to beat those too. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    @Natalia V. Don't do it!! Buying something that you would even consider skipping essentials like insurance or hoping for appreciation just to try to make your numbers work is a terrible idea. There are people all across the country who have jumped on the STR bandwagon hoping to make money and are now wishing they had never done it. Determine what your financial expectations are for an investment property, run your numbers very conservatively (and for gosh sake, include room for unexpected costs, even on a new build) and then see if it makes sense.

    And be care of taking advice from someone who has something to gain from you.

  • Candace PfabBusiness Member
    Realtor · Orange Beach AL · Member since 2018 · 150 posts · 125 votes
    2y

    I know the community you are talking about & have sold in there, so happy to help in any way.  Do not skip on insurance.  It's relatively inexpensive on new construction like that & I can connect you with a great insurance agent here.  We have owned investment property in Orange Beach since 2009.  Feel free to reach out!  We have helped many BP investors in this area and have many resources that may be helpful to you!

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark S.:

    @Natalia V. Don't do it!! Buying something that you would even consider skipping essentials like insurance or hoping for appreciation just to try to make your numbers work is a terrible idea. There are people all across the country who have jumped on the STR bandwagon hoping to make money and are now wishing they had never done it. Determine what your financial expectations are for an investment property, run your numbers very conservatively (and for gosh sake, include room for unexpected costs, even on a new build) and then see if it makes sense.

    And be care of taking advice from someone who has something to gain from you.

    I don’t understand how you can run any numbers if the occupation rate is a big unknown. We don’t have to skip anything, as there is no mortgage. I’m just comparing the potential gains with a cd in the bank. You can earn 35k a year not lifting a finger. But it’s not feasible in a long run. I see real estate as a better application for money that inflation eats away from. If inflation is 3% and interest at the bank 5%, you are earning 2%. With the house, very conservatively the gain will be the same 35k a year plus house appreciates. And we can use it when the calendar is not booked. And we can move to that house to retire, it’s a good size for it, not high yearly cost as in Florida. 
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Candace Pfab:

    I know the community you are talking about & have sold in there, so happy to help in any way.  Do not skip on insurance.  It's relatively inexpensive on new construction like that & I can connect you with a great insurance agent here.  We have owned investment property in Orange Beach since 2009.  Feel free to reach out!  We have helped many BP investors in this area and have many resources that may be helpful to you!

    What’s your honest opinion, is that subdivision a good investment?
  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    @Natalia V. Are you looking for an investment or a retirement home? Two different objectives. And if you can’t develop potential revenue numbers with some level of confidence, you are taking a big risk (or leap of faith) in buying any property. That is a fundamental part of real estate investing.

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark S.:

    @Natalia V. Are you looking for an investment or a retirement home? Two different objectives. And if you can’t develop potential revenue numbers with some level of confidence, you are taking a big risk (or leap of faith) in buying any property. That is a fundamental part of real estate investing.

    All estimates from different sources are saying 55-75k, airdna gives 65k by the address. How confident can anyone be with this? Idk. Why not two objectives if they align?

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    @Natalia V. It is challenging to come up with revenue numbers given the fluctuations in the STR sector over the past four years and the vast increase in competition. So I suggest getting a ‘best guess' figure based on several sources (Airdna, Rabbu, STR Insights - don't rely on just one) and then build in some conservatism and see if you are still comfortable what your pro forma kicks out.

    And yes, you can certainly have two objectives if they align in some ways. But deciding which is most important to you will help in determining the return you are willing to accept.

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Enemy method seems good too to help being realistic

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    I just talked to the management company that handles a few houses at the subdivision we are thinking to buy, she’s saying the honest number of rents revenue is 45-50k, may to August is all the earnings, all other months are pretty much dead. There are a lot of competition and the market is weaker for str demand this year. So after all expenses maybe 20-25k to the pocket. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 143 posts · 114 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalia V.:
    Quote from @John Mason:

    Oh I see

    there are 2 options

    1. Go through with your deal which may work out

    2.Back out and spend 2 months doing research on Destin , Fort Walton Beach and also other places like Biloxi MS, connect with investors and realtors there and see if you can do better

    I know Destin, 30a, Panama City beach, we go there all the time. The orange beach came to play bc of low taxes and basically same beach quality. Same 6 hour drive for us. Sarasota clear water has longer season/warmer, but houses are old and again, taxes 8-10k on a 550 house, plus insurance 6-7. 

     I would definitely argue that Destin beaches are far, far superior to Orange Beach!! Just from a beauty and clarity standpoint... but both are of course great.

    There's plenty of STR options on the Emerald Coast that still cashflow with today's rates... let me know if you need me to take a look for you or send anything over.

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    I guess the insurance in Florida plays a part

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    So in the dead months does MTR work?

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Mason:

    So in the dead months does MTR work?

    I was told if the house has stairs not likely to get monthly snowbird rents, as they are mostly older ppl. Also I was told -to get ahead the competition (and my suspicion about the prevalence of 2-3 bedroom beachfronts was confirmed) - we have to go pet friendly and accommodate 10-12 in that 3 bd house. I’m not crazy about the idea. The house will be trashed in no time. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I actually just got back from a week vacation in Orange Beach - we stayed at one of the Phoenix condos - nice enough place, decent amenities - the kicker here was we were on the beach - the balcony overlooked the beach. That's my deal breaker - when it comes to the beach I want a beach view along with walking access. I don't want to drive a car, park etc. 

    You definitely need insurance - one hurricane could wipe you out or cause enough damage to where it essentially (not literally) still wipes you out. 

    Remember AirDNA includes the cleaning fee in their revenue calculations - you will have to pay the cleaners - this is a significant expense. 

    Management will likely be 15-25% of gross revenue depending on the service. 

    Lots of other houses in the neighborhood - why would someone rent yours? Better amenities? Better finishes? More activities (games, outdoor décor and games - games also end up with missing pieces very often). Better price? More convenient? Bigger size? I don't know if yours would be unique enough to stand out amongst all the others... 

    I gotta be honest - I don't think this makes money - high cost of materials, high rates relative to the last 15 years, probably not looking at much appreciation (I wouldn't expect the last 15 years to be the norm), lots of competition (there are a few brand new high rise condos going up), gulf shores is just down the road as well. It's a very seasonal area as well. You're competing against institutional investors (Brett Robinson to name one) that own a ton of them, market them very well and have this stuff down to a science. 

    I think the STR market peaked in 2020- very early 2022 - I don't think it's necessarily what it was played out to be. I don't think you see nightly rates increasing either - I think you actually see a decrease in rates due to the competition and peak from 2-3 years ago.

    There's a HOA you mentioned - so there will be HOA fees and every 5-10 years there will be a "special assessment" (this is equivalent to capital expenditures on a LTR type house).

    I didn't run numbers - but I personally don't like it. I looked heavily into the STR market back in 2022 and it didn't make a ton of sense then. I'd do it, but I'd need a unique location that's beachfront. I think it makes even less sense now

  • Member since 2023 · 78 posts · 37 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalia V.:

    Greetings, we are beginners with str investing, went under contract for a new construction house, 3/3.5, 2000 sq ft, across the street from the beach, good area with many restaurants and entertainment. Having cold feet! Estimates say the rental potential is 55 to 75k a year. I notice a lot of competition from beach front condos of the same size. The community has 120 houses, similar size, all eligible to be strs. Large community pool, 2400 Hoa a year. The house is not on a water. We are  6 hour drive away, so plan to use management comp. No mortgage, so can skip the insurance (is it a good idea at all?). My hope is if it will not give lots of cashflow, at least we’ll cover the expenses and it will appreciate as the area will develop, inflation raises etc. My thinking- many ppl escape Florida now bc of taxes and insurance cost. Maybe Alabama cost will flourish soon. Any thoughts? Should we do it? Have to decide by Friday. 


     I have properties in states other than the one I live in. I use management comp for some of them, but not all. It is possible to manage your properties with Turno, as it creates automatic cleaning projects, has problem report functionalities and so on. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but managing my properties remotely has given me a lot more time to focus on other activities. My only piece of advice is: don't choose the cleaner based on your pocket, choose based on your heart. The lowest-priced cleaner is rarely the most efficient one.

  • Candace PfabBusiness Member
    Realtor · Orange Beach AL · Member since 2018 · 150 posts · 125 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalia V.:
    Quote from @Candace Pfab:

    I know the community you are talking about & have sold in there, so happy to help in any way.  Do not skip on insurance.  It's relatively inexpensive on new construction like that & I can connect you with a great insurance agent here.  We have owned investment property in Orange Beach since 2009.  Feel free to reach out!  We have helped many BP investors in this area and have many resources that may be helpful to you!

    What’s your honest opinion, is that subdivision a good investment?

    I think it can be a good investment for the right buyer with strategies for setting it up to stand out to potential guests, the right property management and appropriate expectations.  It takes some time to gain traction as a new rental & it sounds like you will not be able to launch the rental until after prime Summer season, so you will need to be prepared for that as well!  During the Fall season, you will see shorter stays of 3-4 nights vs weekly rentals like Summer and January-mid March will be monthly rentals typically.  I have seen some healthy snowbird rental numbers at that community!

  • Investor · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 173 votes
    2y

    I provide property management for Gulf Coast STRs.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.