STR Furnishing Checklist

STR Furnishing Checklist

Joe McLaughlinPro Member
Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi, 

I'm closing on my first STR in April a 3 Bed/3 Bath property. I'm starting to acquire furnishings and am looking for a checklist of sorts to help keep myself organized as I seek the best deals on high quality goods to furnish our rental. Has anyone used something similar in the past they can recommend or share?

Thanks,

Joe

1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike GrudzienPro Member
Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

And here's a tip...
When you think you are all done; stay in your new STR for 24-48 hours and keep a list of each thing that you were reaching for that wasn't there. Especially in the kitchen.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I think the easiest way is just to set up an excel file for the property and put together a punch list, room by room.  You will start with the larger pieces and fill in with accessories, wall art, rugs, and decor.

    Because I own cabins in a mountain environment, I try to avoid the new case goods. Most are cheaply made and do not hold up to a lot of abuse. Instead, I surf Facebook Marketplace for heavy, handmade furniture. Log beds, solid wood pieces (antique or vintage), antique persian rugs, and decorative items/art that come from the local area.

    Obviously if you are renting a beach condo, this method doesn't work. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    1y

    Hey Joe! Congrats on your first STR! Keeping a checklist is a great way to stay organized while furnishing. I'd recommend using Excel or a tool like Trello or Notion to track what you need, compare deals, and stay on budget. Breaking it down by room can make the process a lot easier.

    There are also some great pre-made checklists in Airbnb host groups and forums if you need a starting point. Would love to hear what style you’re going for—happy to connect!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    There are some on here. Use the search function to find them.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    And here's a tip...
    When you think you are all done; stay in your new STR for 24-48 hours and keep a list of each thing that you were reaching for that wasn't there. Especially in the kitchen.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I do not have/use a checklist for what I consider the easier things - like couch, dining table, rugs, mattresses, linens, etc. You can look at successful STR's in your area and make a list based on photos. I do however keep a spreadsheet of the more commonly forgotten items. Mostly kitchen/bath items - Like plunger, toaster, colander, baking sheets, etc. Feel free to reach out to via email and I can send it to you. Good luck and congrats!

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I have a list with links that you are welcome to, feel free to PM me. I focus on mid-grade quality items that are durable and pleasant to use yet not so nice that people are tempted to swipe them and are then expensive to replace. After 2 years I have had to replace very few items, whether that be from theft, loss, or over usage. 

    Unique pieces are great for "Flair" and individuating your property but if it fits in a suitcase and isn't fixed to the wall or floor then it will not be long for your STR. Case in point, I picked up some turkish blankets with great color and pattern on Etsy that looked awesome in my photos, and one of them was gone by guest #3. They weren't that much more expensive than a generic blanket but the principal and selfishness burns.

    As mentioned above it there are dozens if not a hundred+ small items that are easy to forget that guests will expect you to have (can opener, wine opener, oven mitts etc) 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Joe McLaughlin, so I surf FB marketplace, Craigslist and OfferUP for used made in the USA furniture.

    You can get top quality stuff for pennies on the dollar or free.

  • Joe McLaughlinPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Thank you for all the help here everyone!  My closing was delayed for construction so I'm just getting started with sourcing all of the furnishings.  Appreciate the help and suggestions!  

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Good luck to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.