Anyone with 6 - 8 bedroom STRs in the Poconos

Anyone with 6 - 8 bedroom STRs in the Poconos

Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes

Looking to connect with those that have 6-8 bedroom STRs in the Poconos. Would like to throw a few questions your way concerning the guest avatar in that market.
Thanks!

0Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA 路 Member since 2016 路 8k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
1y

"and we're living here in Allentown..."

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender 路 Eugene, OR 路 Member since 2019 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    1y

    Curious!  Got to follow this chain. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    1y

    I don't even know where the Poconos are?

    • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I don't even know where the Poconos are?


       Eastern PA 

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I don't even know where the Poconos are?

       Hahaha, you don't want to know. I spent a few years up there as a kid and it's not that impressive. It's the eastern PA mountain area from the NJ border to ABE (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) in the south and roughly Lake Wallenpaupack in the north and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the west. Used to draw a lot of people from NYC/Philly in the 60s & 70s, then started dying a protracted death for 40 years and is somewhat turned as there are people who commute from there into both Philly & NYC these days. My father still lives there 6 months of the year. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I don't even know where the Poconos are?

       Hahaha, you don't want to know. I spent a few years up there as a kid and it's not that impressive. It's the eastern PA mountain area from the NJ border to ABE (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) in the south and roughly Lake Wallenpaupack in the north and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the west. Used to draw a lot of people from NYC/Philly in the 60s & 70s, then started dying a protracted death for 40 years and is somewhat turned as there are people who commute from there into both Philly & NYC these days. My father still lives there 6 months of the year. 


       Hahaha 

    • Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I don't even know where the Poconos are?

       Hahaha, you don't want to know. I spent a few years up there as a kid and it's not that impressive. It's the eastern PA mountain area from the NJ border to ABE (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) in the south and roughly Lake Wallenpaupack in the north and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the west. Used to draw a lot of people from NYC/Philly in the 60s & 70s, then started dying a protracted death for 40 years and is somewhat turned as there are people who commute from there into both Philly & NYC these days. My father still lives there 6 months of the year. 


       Why don't you tell us how you really feel? 

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jon Martin:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I don't even know where the Poconos are?

       Hahaha, you don't want to know. I spent a few years up there as a kid and it's not that impressive. It's the eastern PA mountain area from the NJ border to ABE (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) in the south and roughly Lake Wallenpaupack in the north and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the west. Used to draw a lot of people from NYC/Philly in the 60s & 70s, then started dying a protracted death for 40 years and is somewhat turned as there are people who commute from there into both Philly & NYC these days. My father still lives there 6 months of the year. 


       Why don't you tell us how you really feel? 

       馃ぃ Yeah, you could safely put me in the Shania Twain camp here - 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
  • Lender 路 Pittsburgh, PA 路 Member since 2024 路 63 posts 路 20 votes
    1y

    Ken - I have a few borrowers who buy STRs in the Poconos. Let me know if I can be helpful.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA 路 Member since 2016 路 8k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    1y

    "and we're living here in Allentown..."

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      "and we're living here in Allentown..."


       That was a pretty accurate song back then. They turned Bethlehem steel into a casino. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
  • NJ 路 Member since 2022 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    8mo

    Hey Ken! 

    My husband and I are thinking about buying a 6-8 bedroom STR in the poconos as well- did you end up purchasing?

    • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Danielle DeLucas:

      Hey Ken! 

      My husband and I are thinking about buying a 6-8 bedroom STR in the poconos as well- did you end up purchasing?

      Yes we got a 7 bedroom house up there. 
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    8mo

    Curious as to why you picked this area?

    I know you live in SC and invest heavily in the Smoky Mountain area.

    • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      Curious as to why you picked this area?

      I know you live in SC and invest heavily in the Smoky Mountain area.


       Math - I was able to buy and reno a 7 bedroom 3800 sq ft property up there for what it would take to buy a 2 bedroom 1400 sq ft in the smokies with much higher projected revenue.

      But I will say everything is more difficult to do there than in the Smokies.

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Ken Boone:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      Curious as to why you picked this area?

      I know you live in SC and invest heavily in the Smoky Mountain area.


       Math - I was able to buy and reno a 7 bedroom 3800 sq ft property up there for what it would take to buy a 2 bedroom 1400 sq ft in the smokies with much higher projected revenue.

      But I will say everything is more difficult to do there than in the Smokies.


       Sounds like a good investment then.

      Would you also go up and use the property with your family any?

    • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Ken Boone:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      Curious as to why you picked this area?

      I know you live in SC and invest heavily in the Smoky Mountain area.


       Math - I was able to buy and reno a 7 bedroom 3800 sq ft property up there for what it would take to buy a 2 bedroom 1400 sq ft in the smokies with much higher projected revenue.

      But I will say everything is more difficult to do there than in the Smokies.


       Sounds like a good investment then.

      Would you also go up and use the property with your family any?


       eh.. I would but only like when I want to go up and make improvements in the slow season. I really bought it strictly as an investment. I do have family about an hour from there though. I might use it during hunting season a little.

  • NJ 路 Member since 2022 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    8mo

    Glad to hear it was a good investment! I can tell that regulations can be difficult depending on where you buy but that you can also make a great return if done the right way.  Which submarket did you buy in if you don't mind me asking? 

  • Investor 路 Greenville, SC 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8mo

    The Estates at Emerald Lakes

  • Property Manager 路 USA 路 Member since 2018 路 85 posts 路 50 votes
    8mo

    For the Poconos, A good deal can go bad if it's in the wrong HOA. Some (most?) are so greedy, they more or less don't want you to operate even though they allow it. I recently purchased a used hot tub from a guy who sold his Airbnb in the Poconos because the HOA was so problematic.

    We recently started managing a 6 bedroom in Tobyhanna, but we are only one month in, so too early to tell what the guest avatar is. 

    Hospitables co pilot feature says most guests come from Knoxville, but I realized they spit that out for all listings. I think Hopsitable should look into this. 

    Might not have answered your question but just wanted to share my thoughts. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.