Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
We broke our own rule this weekend. Our cabin is only big enough for a couple or a couple with little kids. We say that 4 adults aren't allowed. But we got a request saying that their kid lives next door to us so there would be 4 adults. I agreed because their kid lives next door and they knew it was small.
I got this picture from them on Sunday. At least he was upfront about it, said he would pay. No explanation but I think we all know what happened. Somebody got mad, locked the bedroom door and somebody got madder and punched thru the door! Luckily there was no more damage and he is paying $411 to replace the door.
My question to everyone is "how would you rate them on AIRBNB?".
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
I haven’t had anyone tell me there was damage and also offer to pay to replace the door. Guest owned it and is paying for it. I would review favorably.
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
I haven’t had anyone tell me there was damage and also offer to pay to replace the door. Guest owned it and is paying for it. I would review favorably.
I haven’t had anyone tell me there was damage and also offer to pay to replace the door. Guest owned it and is paying for it. I would review favorably.
I agree. Kerry said it all. And wait till the check clears.
Please do not rate them a 5. I would not want them in my place and I hate when I get 5 star guests because hosts rate them incorrectly. Of course they owned up to it. Kind of hard to miss. Seems like a violent person that could have ohh to er issues punching a hole through a door!
I'd leave 5 stars. You can be upfront about the him/her breaking a door, but owned it and offered to pay.
Things happen. Ppl make mistakes. In my experience, people that do this don't often own up to it, let alone pay for it.
Bigger picture: if you're planning to be in the hospitality business for a long time, I would learn to forgive but not forget. I'm not saying roll over and allow chaos, but there's a clear line of a guest obviously not caring and a guest who made a mistake. I've seen too many host deal with one difficult guest and then change all the rules and now everyone booking their place is guilty till proven innocent. Don't be that host. It'll show in everything thing you do and will hurt your business.
I'd leave 5 stars. You can be upfront about the him/her breaking a door, but owned it and offered to pay.
Things happen. Ppl make mistakes. In my experience, people that do this don't often own up to it, let alone pay for it.
Bigger picture: if you're planning to be in the hospitality business for a long time, I would learn to forgive but not forget. I'm not saying roll over and allow chaos, but there's a clear line of a guest obviously not caring and a guest who made a mistake. I've seen too many host deal with one difficult guest and then change all the rules and now everyone booking their place is guilty till proven innocent. Don't be that host. It'll show in everything thing you do and will hurt your business.
i agree. When i first started, my cleaner gave me great advice. I told her I dont know what I dont know. She said first of all, dont take any of this personally. Things will happen, things will break, dont take it personally. Im not completely sure I would rate them a 5. they could have damaged something that would take more time than just replacing a door. Yes, they owned up to it and said they would pay to replace it, but also it was obvious damage that would be noticed right away. Not something they could hide.
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
Why would you give them anything less than five stars? They told you up front who would be staying there, you approved them and they proactively told you about damage and are paying for the repairs? Sound like great guests to me.
Why would you give them anything less than five stars? They told you up front who would be staying there, you approved them and they proactively told you about damage and are paying for the repairs? Sound like great guests to me.
Stuff happens.
would you second guess renting to someone with a past history of damaging a property? even if they did pay for it each time?
Why would you give them anything less than five stars? They told you up front who would be staying there, you approved them and they proactively told you about damage and are paying for the repairs? Sound like great guests to me.
Stuff happens.
would you second guess renting to someone with a past history of damaging a property? even if they did pay for it each time?
Obviously that's not what's happening here. If there was a "history" of damage, the OP wouldn't be posting here because they wouldn't have accepted the guest. They'd have poor reviews and a one star rating. One mistake doesn't make for a "History" of behaviors. Things happen and it doesn't hurt to give people the benefit of the doubt.
I'd give them five stars and in the narrative, include a simple explanation of the incident and mention my appreciation for them taking responsibility for the door.
And yes- I'd definitely rent to someone who accidentally damaged a property, proactively reported it to the owner and paid for repairs. I like working with ethical people.
Why would you give them anything less than five stars? They told you up front who would be staying there, you approved them and they proactively told you about damage and are paying for the repairs? Sound like great guests to me.
Stuff happens.
would you second guess renting to someone with a past history of damaging a property? even if they did pay for it each time?
Obviously that's not what's happening here. If there was a "history" of damage, the OP wouldn't be posting here because they wouldn't have accepted the guest. They'd have poor reviews and a one star rating. One mistake doesn't make for a "History" of behaviors. Things happen and it doesn't hurt to give people the benefit of the doubt.
I'd give them five stars and in the narrative, include a simple explanation of the incident and mention my appreciation for them taking responsibility for the door.
And yes- I'd definitely rent to someone who accidentally damaged a property, proactively reported it to the owner and paid for repairs. I like working with ethical people.
not if no one else called them out because they paid to fix any damage
We broke our own rule this weekend. Our cabin is only big enough for a couple or a couple with little kids. We say that 4 adults aren't allowed. But we got a request saying that their kid lives next door to us so there would be 4 adults. I agreed because their kid lives next door and they knew it was small.
I got this picture from them on Sunday. At least he was upfront about it, said he would pay. No explanation but I think we all know what happened. Somebody got mad, locked the bedroom door and somebody got madder and punched thru the door! Luckily there was no more damage and he is paying $411 to replace the door.
My question to everyone is "how would you rate them on AIRBNB?".
They were upfront about it and voluntarily paying for the damage so that is a reasonably good guest in my opinion.
I have never been to harsh with someone that told me up front and then paid for damage.
On the other hand someone got mad andnbroke this door and hou have the hassle of getting it fixed.
So I personally would give them a good review and welcome them back in the future.
I'm sure others on here will want to roast them alive.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
Honestly I would rate them 3-4*. They were upfront of everything and are paying (as long as they do complete payment). I would not give a 5 because that will give future hosts the impression they are great guests. Great guests do not punch holes in other peoples property even if they pay. I would expect my Uber rating to go down if I smash the guys window out even if I apologize and paid.
Real Estate Agent · Louisiana · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 147 votes
1y
I would give them 4 stars & mention in the review the situation. "Broke a door during stay. Guest was upfront about damage & paid to replace without having to include Airbnb support. Without damaged door, would be a 5 star guest but with the inconvenience of having to replace dropped it to a 4."
I wouldn’t leave a 5-star review here. While they did take responsibility and paid for the damage, there was property damage. A 3–4 star review is fair, it acknowledges they made it right, but also signals to other hosts that this wasn’t a perfect stay.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y
I have a few times had a guest cause damage and be upfront with paying for it. Give them 5 stars or just don't review them. Always be nice when guests are honest.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
1y
I would give 3-4 stars. Yes they are fixing their problem, but this is not good behavior, I try to think about my fellow hosts and their future dealings with people I deal with. Next time the temper tantrum (or whatever) could be worse and cost the next host even more angst and money. This does not deserve 5 stars IMHO.....
You hosts giving 5 stars is what is wrong with the system. This is why I get 5 star guests that are NOT 5 star guests and I am baffled. They damaged something pretty destructively accidentally or not, and by the looks of it, that’s not an accident. Seems like a potentially violent person on top causing damage. Other hosts should know this. It’s like all the properties I stay at that are 5 star properties or close to and are absolutely horrendous! But they have those damn magnets telling guests that 4 star reviews are bad. You all should reevaluate. If everyone is 5 stars then no one is.
You hosts giving 5 stars is what is wrong with the system. This is why I get 5 star guests that are NOT 5 star guests and I am baffled. They damaged something pretty destructively accidentally or not, and by the looks of it, that’s not an accident. Seems like a potentially violent person on top causing damage. Other hosts should know this. It’s like all the properties I stay at that are 5 star properties or close to and are absolutely horrendous! But they have those damn magnets telling guests that 4 star reviews are bad. You all should reevaluate. If everyone is 5 stars then no one is.
Patricia is spot-on! These guests did NOT in any way deserve 5 stars. 5 stars means a perfect guest.....not one who smashes a hole in a door!
Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
11mo
Thanks for all the comments. We did find a couple of other things the cleaner missed but I had already gave them a 4 star review after I received his $411 to replace the door. I gave a 4 star and talked about the damage and that they had stepped up and took ownership and paid the damage.
There was a pillow headrest ripped off a chair on the back deck, there was damage to the door jam to the 2nd bedroom and we found a bag of weed under the cushion on the dock chair. All in all, the combination of weed and alcohol seems to have been part of their family issues. They left a lot of beer in the fridge...
Then a week later we get his review and it said "very nice cabin" 4 stars...
All in all, we have had very good guests the last two years and count our blessings that this was all that happened.
Wow, what a situation! I think you handled it really well, especially since the guest was upfront about the damage and agreed to pay for the repair. That alone says a lot about how they took responsibility.
If it were me, I’d probably mention the incident factually in the review without being emotional. Something like:
“Guest communicated well and took responsibility for damages caused during their stay. However, there was an incident that required repair.”
That way, you’re being transparent for future hosts while still being fair. And I totally agree — sometimes we make exceptions thinking it’ll be fine, but those exceptions usually remind us why we have our rules in the first place! 😅
Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
11mo
Dang! @Mike Kirby The range in responses here shows exactly why the review system on both Airbnb and VRBO are broken (slightly different reasons given some of the differences in functionality). We know it- both as hosts AND as guests. I feel the sting of you giving the guest the benefit of the doubt and giving them 4-stars and their response in giving you 4 instead of 5 stars. I've been in similar situations where I'm fairly confident we'd have gotten a 5-star review if we hadn't had to reach out for extra cleaning, damages, etc. that were clearly and correctly documented (with photos).
I think it's true that people make mistakes (on both sides). But as @Patricia Andriolo-Bull says, I don't necessarily want to rent to guests with anger issues, etc. I couldn't give this guest 5-stars, probably 3-4 with a very unemotional, fact-based review. But it's also true, we get penalized as hosts for not accepting booking requests (even when we have good reasons because Airbnb hosts have provided clear warnings in their private notes to other hosts- something VRBO lacks). One of those situations where there's not a great solution- yet.
I now am somewhat wary of someone who's been on either platform for a while and has no reviews because I do think it's a choice to post no review when it can't be a glowing one. (And there's fear of retaliation in reality.)
STR management is not for the thin-skinned. Glad you could end on gratitude for all your previous good guests. May they be plentiful and your lesser ones, scarce.