Outdoor sauna in Florida STR

Outdoor sauna in Florida STR

Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP community, 

I'm new to STR investing but recently purchased a townhome in the Florida panhandle (Panama City Beach) that'll have a small backyard after an enclosed fence is built (there is no HOA). The property is a 5 min walk to the beach but is not right on the beach. It's a 4 bedroom that can sleep up to 14-16 guests, and I'll be adding a hot tub as well in the backyard as well. An in-ground or above-ground pool is not an option given the limited space of the yard. Adding a small mini putting green may be doable but will be a snug fit. The property also has a relatively spacious deck on the top floor that'll include an outdoor grill, sectional, and dining table/chairs. The property is one of a dozen townhomes that have the exact same layout, and all of them function as STRs. A few of the townhomes in the community have built either partial or completely enclosed fence to add privacy/amenities; to my knowledge, a couple of them have hot tubs in the backyard but that's about it. Having said this, I'm trying to find ways to differentiate my property from other properties. 

My question is: what are your thoughts about having a (4-person) outdoor sauna as an amenity to make the property more attractive for guests? Would most guests in that market even care for it, given that it's already in a warm climate? 

After a quick search, I found some priced as $3600-$5000 for a 4-person sauna on Home Depot. There are a lot more expensive options as well, but I don't know much about saunas and am trying to be budget conscious.

Thanks in advance and I'm open to any suggestions!

0Reply
210 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10mo

    What about a small plunge pool instead?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    I suspect that guests won’t want to use a sauna there as much as they would in a cold climate. Does anyone else have one there?  If so, do reviews mention the sauna?

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Sauna sounds doable and, until everyone else adds one, you will be unique.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    What about a sauna and a cold plunge?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo

    14-16 guest in a 4 bedroom? Sounds kinda tight.

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10mo


    @John Underwood thanks for the suggestion. I think even that will be hard since there's a drop off in the terrain that acts as a retention pond during heavy rain, but will run it by GC/pool guy to see what's feasible. I was planning on adding a deck to even out the terrain in the backyard (without impeding the function of the retention pond during heavy rain) to create more functional space. 

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10mo

    Thank you all for the suggestions!

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10mo

    @Michael Baum The fourth room is a large loft that contains a pair of queen bunk beds (hence sleeps up to 8 guests in that space). But I agree with your sentiment. Based on prior data, it looks like most of the bookings' guest count do not exceed 12. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10mo

    Yeah, @Adam S.. Sounds like a more reasonable number.

    Our place is 3 bedrooms and a kids bunkroom. We have it set to sleep 10 but can do 12 in a pinch.

    It is a 2700 sqft lake house.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    I don't think a hot tub will benefit you much without a pool. The climate is so warm you will only use it a couple months a year. The combination of both is a better investment. I get the trying to standout. I would prefer a game room versus only a hot tub. Just my opinion, but I have two STR's in Florida.

  • John LitzPro Member
    Reno NV · Member since 2022 · 74 posts · 56 votes
    10mo

    A 4 bed townhouse is going to be very tight with 14-16 people. I personally wouldn’t do more than 10. I regards to your question on a sauna. You have to do the market research to see if anyone in the area has them. If nobody has them there is a reason for that. If some have them but nobody mentions in reviews probably a waste of money for an amenity. If you want to have a unique property the best way is to lean into design and create an experience for your guests. 

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10mo

    Thanks you all for the suggestions!

  • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
    10mo

    As an STR Designer, first yes I agree with others — 14-16 people is way too much. You should look at that again and edit. Heads to beds = money but not when cramped. You will get negative reviews on this if too cramped and not enough bathrooms.

    Second, hot tubs and sauna typically fair better in seasonal areas with weather. I just worked on a bougie Marathon Key Property and he did not have either. Instead, he had a pool, shuffle board and mini golf. 

    I would say a sauna and maybe a cold plunge since you don't have a pool. 

  • Melissa HaworthBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · The Panhandle | The Emerald Coast | Panama City Beach | Destin · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 101 votes
    10mo

    Hey there and congrats on your PCB townhome! Sounds like you’ve got a great setup already with the hot tub, rooftop deck, and that quick walk to the beach. Love that you're thinking ahead about how to stand out.

    As for the sauna idea, I think it’s definitely unique, and it could add a bit of a luxury vibe if done right. But since Panama City Beach stays pretty warm most of the year, it might not be something guests are actively looking for. During the cooler months it could be a nice bonus, but I’m not sure it would move the needle much during peak season when everyone just wants to cool off.

    If your backyard space is already tight, I'd probably lean toward something more universally appealing and space-efficient. A mini putting green, cornhole, string lights, or even just a cute hangout area with shade can really boost guest experience without the extra install and maintenance a sauna would bring.

    Also, small things like a beach wagon, chairs, umbrella, or a cooler can go a long way. Guests love thoughtful extras like that, and they’re easy to market in your listing.

    So short answer: the sauna could be a fun touch, but it may not give you the best return for the cost and space. Personally, I’d focus on what’s tried and true in the area, especially if you’re keeping a close eye on the budget.

    Hope that helps, and excited to hear what you end up doing with the space!

  • Investor · TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10mo

    Thank you all for your input!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.