Financial Advisor · Hingham, MA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 15 votes
Hi,
I'm a financial planner in MA and my client is considering purchasing a home in Martha's Vineyard. I believe they would make the necessary cosmetic updates to make it more marketable, but I'm trying to understand and estimated NOI if they were to rent the property "hands off" with 2 to 4 weeks of personal use per year.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6mo
I would definitely consult a good local PM if you can find one. This is a national group so you may have more luck on Facebook. Otherwise they or you will have to do the underwrite on your own and tools like AirDNA/Rabbu/BnBCalc can help you get the data but be careful not to just rely on their algorithmic number and actually dive into the comps themselves.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6mo
Yeah like the others said @Bob D., there is a lot to unpack.
What is your clients goal? Tax offset? Income? Retirement?
NOI can mean something different to different people.
For us, it is exactly what it means. How profitable can we be without worrying about offsetting a high W2 income tax burden.
Martha's Vineyard is a pretty pricey market. I would have them simply start looking on AirBNB and VRBO and see what others are getting for a nightly rate, amenities and what their calendars look like.
That will give them a beginning idea of what a typical place they could afford will bring in. It won't be perfect but it will give them an idea.