Purpose Build STR Duplex

Purpose Build STR Duplex

Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes

Hello BP Members,

I'm starting a new project and I wanted to take a moment to share it with the community. Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. I hope that this post will help others that are contemplating a similar project.

My wife and I own about 40 acres of land in North Carolina. We purchased the land from a local bank in an REO deal. That was about two years ago. Since then we have built our primary residence and spent a lot of time and energy improving the property. We designed our primary residence in a way that would allow both in-laws to visit and have their own living areas. One area is on the 2nd floor of our residence and the other is above a detached garage. The majority of the time the two spaces were unoccupied (unless we had family or friends over). I decided that I wanted to better utilize the space - so I posted both units on AirBnB and Homeaway. Keep in mind that we dont live in a tourist destination - not even close. We are in a military community - about 30 minutes south of Raleigh, NC. The response we got was overwhelming. We have been booked solid for months - mostly family visiting Soldiers, contractors working on base and traveling nurses. One unit brings in about $1200/month and the other unit brings in about $1500/month.

It didnt take long for my wife and I to realize that we had discovered something really unique. We both have experience in buy and hold as well as "normal" SFR rentals, but STRs were completely new territory. We try and focus on guests that have temporary jobs in the area. We rarely accept bookings that are less than two weeks and many are 3-6 months. This works out well for my wife and I because we both have full time jobs.

We have decided to purpose build a STR duplex on the front portion of our property. Each side will be 1bd/1ba (approx 700 sq ft/side). It's definitely more expensive to purpose build, but being able to build a property within walking distance of our PR is ideal (to us at least). It allows us to easily manage daily operations and keep an eye on our investment. Additionally, our land isn't in an HOA is not subject to restrictive covenants.

Based on our experience over the last year, we should be able to maintain rents at $1300 - $1500 per side. The project is scheduled to begin next month and should be completed around August. 

I attached a layout - the exterior still needs some tweaking - it's a little bland as-is. I am happy to answer any questions that you have and would appreciate any feedback from the community. I plan on keeping this updated as the build progresses.

- Justin

3Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Puyallup, WA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 3 votes
9y

I have the same thought of building a duplex and using both sides for short term rentals.  Seems like it could be a great money maker in my location which is a suburb of Seattle.  Possibly I would live on one side eventually.  I look forward to hearing about your progress!  One thing that I am seeing a lot of in my area is a duplex with a one car garage for each side, but the garages are in the middle of the duplex, with the living areas on each end.  That seems genius to me, because then you would not ever hear your neighbor through the walls.  

For the RV hookup rental - in my area tiny houses are a huge new trend and there is a serious lack of good places for people to park them.  Many people park them in a family or friend's back yard, but then if they are rented out then the authorities find out, and some people have gotten into legal trouble.  They are classified as RV's and are illegal to live in because of their small square footage except in a few specific situations like you are farming the land, or building a house, or caring for a sick relative.  The only legal way in my state at the moment to rent out hookups is to classify your property as an RV park.  So I think that would apply in your case as well if you are offering an RV hookup for rent, but if you can find a way to do it legally you might want to tap into the tiny home movement as well.  

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Awesome! You stumbled on a niche and it looks as if you have a lot of land to even further add, as needed, providing that the zoning allows. Maybe you can buy some nice RVs and put them up? I've lived in one for a month, when I moved to L.A. and it really had everything. Maybe one with a lot of miles, so that the value might be down, but with still good interio

  • Rory CumminsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 59 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Hi Justin,

    Looks like you've found yourself a great cashflow investment. As an Airbnb'r myself (both as 3+ year host and traveling guest), I think this is a great idea and will give you multiple 'outs' once done. You can of course rent it out as a short term rental but you'll also end up with flexibility to keep it as a long term rental if you so choose to down the road (in case you're ever tired of short term management or if the city clamps down on STR's in your area, etc.). That said, the numbers work so much better on short term if you can keep it going year round. It's great also that you're able to get 2 week + bookings and even up to 3-6 months as it's much less management, cleanings, etc. on your end. Also, another plus is the fact that this duplex will be brand new so even if you decide to rent long term or sell in the next 5-10 years, you'll have very little maintenance/capital costs with which to attend with. Overall I think it's a great idea and one that you'll have great success with. It's good that you kept it to 700 sqft each side as well. No one that is staying more than a few months really needs anything bigger unless they are more than 3 people. Overall, your utility bills will be lower and less to clean. You may decide you want to repeat this process in a few other locations once you're done...

    Are you thinking to build some or all of it yourself or planning to hire a GC to manage all the construction?

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    Awesome! You stumbled on a niche and it looks as if you have a lot of land to even further add, as needed, providing that the zoning allows. Maybe you can buy some nice RVs and put them up? I've lived in one for a month, when I moved to L.A. and it really had everything. Maybe one with a lot of miles, so that the value might be down, but with still good interio

     Its really interesting that you bring up the idea of RVs. My site plan includes one full RV hook-up. I don't know ANYTHING about RVs or RVing, but I wanted to allow for maximum income potential, so I had my GC add it in there. My research leads me to believe that I could get around $400/month on the RV hook up if I include cable, internet and electric. The only unknown is if I will be able to find someone with a need to park their RV on our property. From your experience - do you have any recommendations? 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Justin Tahilramani:
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    Awesome! You stumbled on a niche and it looks as if you have a lot of land to even further add, as needed, providing that the zoning allows. Maybe you can buy some nice RVs and put them up? I've lived in one for a month, when I moved to L.A. and it really had everything. Maybe one with a lot of miles, so that the value might be down, but with still good interio

     Its really interesting that you bring up the idea of RVs. My site plan includes one full RV hook-up. I don't know ANYTHING about RVs or RVing, but I wanted to allow for maximum income potential, so I had my GC add it in there. My research leads me to believe that I could get around $400/month on the RV hook up if I include cable, internet and electric. The only unknown is if I will be able to find someone with a need to park their RV on our property. From your experience - do you have any recommendations? 

     Actually, I meant for you to buy an RV (there are really nice ones for 10-20K) and use them as airbnb units. That would get you more than $ 400/month

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    @Rory Cummins - thanks for the kind words and insight. As for the build - I developed an interior/exterior layout and a spec sheet that I sent out to local builders to bid on. I ended up selecting the builder that I felt most comfortable with. I would love to GC a project some day - but it just isn't in the cards with my current work schedule.

  • Rory CumminsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 59 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    That sounds good and yes, doing all the GC work yourself is really more involved and time consuming than most people realizing. Having gone down that path myself for many years, I don't miss it! Best of luck on your venture and thanks for sharing the investment venture to the community. I think it'll help give others some great ideas

  • Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    If this is your design, have you given consideration of space needed for HVAC and domestic hot water? I don't know whats normal your are (slab foundations, or full basements). With the space being small (and your climate), you should be able to make use of a couple of mini split heat pumps for heating and cooling. Personally I'd install an on demand water heater (I like the Takagi units) to service both units.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    @Brett Jones - Its a plan that I found and made adjustment to. As for the air handlers - they will be in the attic. We will be using an exterior mounted on demand water heater (propane). We use one of these on our main homes and it is a beast. It takes a while to heat up, but one unit services three units without a problem keeping up.

    I'm familiar with mini-splits, but I prefer traditional HVAC units.

  • Architect · Raleigh-Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    @Justin Tahilramani this seems like quite an undertaking and an interesting one that we don't read about often on BP (at least not that I have come across). Please continue to keep us updated on your success with STR. My wife and I are looking to relocate to NC because of the relative ease in procuring and/or building income properties. Have you had any push back from the local jurisdictions or run into any difficulties in municipal regards?

    I see that you found the plan somewhere and made a few adjustments. Now would be the time to make adjustments and I would alter a few things...namely the washer and dryer in the bedroom, the entry door to the bathroom being in the kitchen and the refrigerator being out in no man's land in the middle of the path of circulation.  Not sure how worried you are, if at all, about these kinds of issues, but functionality and livability is always a top priority. If those two align, people are willing to pay a premium. Hope my input isn't insulting. In any case, really looking forward to hearing more updates from you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    @Ryan Hopkins - Ryan - absolutely no offense taken. I really do appreciate your suggestions. Plus, as an Architect, you are the subject matter expert! Honestly - I was very concerned about keeping the units as simple and small format as possible without detracting from comfort. To me that meant having a large living room, large bedroom (to fit a king bed), full kitchen and in-suite laundry. That was a-lot to accomplish when you are working with less than 700 sq/ft.

    I am amazed by how happy guests have been with our current two units. We have never received a complaint about the layout, and only once or twice has someone mentioned the fact that the units were on the 2nd floor. They are good layouts, but far from "ideal" when you consider what you might want if you were buying a primary residence. One unit didn't even have a washer and dryer, and nobody ever complained - even when they stayed for 2-3 months. We finally ended up buying one because we felt that guests should have access to laundry facilities.

    All of that to say that I really think that when people decide to say with us they are considering between our unit or a hotel. Our unit offers a full kitchen, washer/dryer, living room, bedroom, central a/c, dish network, easy parking, 40 acres of privacy, and we are cheaper to boot!

    I think that people consider what the property looks like from the pictures, but I really don't think that too many people care about the overall layout of the property. I could be way off base. I would love to get opinions from others.

    Do you think that there is another way to lay it out where we could have better bathroom/laundry placement without compromising usable space? We played with moving the w/d to the front closet, but it was going to potentially interfere with the fridge. The bedroom seemed like a compromise to me. After all - as a 1 bedroom - it seems logical that people wouldn't mind doing laundry in their room. Again, I may be way off base.

    Lets get some feedback from BP. As a short term renter, would you be bothered by the bathroom being by the kitchen? What about the laundry in the bedroom?

    Looking forward to the responses!

  • Architect · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 317 posts · 371 votes
    9y

    What type of construction method are you using? Currently I am building my new home using the modular method. From start to finish construction will take about 90 days. You can read my daily blog on my website to see the process. I'm an Architect and designed the home myself. With that being said looking at your plan you could build this with modular construction in under 50 days. Maybe 30 if you are really organized and choose all the materials from the modular company so that they build everything in the factory. You will save lots of time and money. More importantly you can start renting the units out sooner and start making money.

    You will have to adjust your plans slightly but it will work. Let me know if you want more information and I can give you some guidance.

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    @Eric Teran - We are stick building ours, but I am definitely interested in learning more about modular construction. Ive looked into it a few times, but ive always found it to be rather expensive. The fact that they are built in a controlled environment and can be erected quickly are definitely major pluses. Can you elaborate on the pricing that you are seeing in your area on modular homes?

  • Architect · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 317 posts · 371 votes
    9y

    @Justin Tahilramani I agree with you that some of the modular companies are not price competitive. There are some that price out around $400 SF which is ridiculous. However, they are really nice. If modular cost the exact same price as stick built I would still do modular because it will be better built and you will save a lot of time in construction. At least half. The plans you have are easily built in a factory. I don't know all your setback and zoning regulations but for modular you would go with a 15'-10" wide unit and they can be as long as 60'-0". Your plan would get a little skinnier but longer. Each unit would be it's own box so everything would be completed in the factory! 

    After calling 30 companies I finally settled on Excel Home in Liverpool, PA. My main reason was that I liked a lot of there finishes that I could use so that I would not have to do them on site. They also provided lots of custom options like stand alone tubs and they were willing to built any width up to 15'-10". A lot of the companies only build 11'-10", 13'-10" or 15'-10" wide units. This limits a lot in the design. Since  this is our primary residence we did not pick all the finishes and appliances from Excel but if we were doing a rental or flip it could all be done in the factory. The more you pick/built in the factory they more you are going to save. 

    Cost:

    1. $140 SF - My entire home, 3,300 SF with a finish basement. This includes site work, permits, utility connections, finish landscaping, finishes. Everything. 
    2. $80 SF - only the modular portion. If you go to my website go to Day 30 and you can see how they arrived. Drywall with primer and the floors were bare.
    3. $100 SF - this is the modular portion plus the contractor fee to do the installation. 29 out of the 30 modular companies required you to go through a general contractor that acts as their representative in your area. They have to do the installation and make sure that it is water tight the same day everything is installed. I am building in Alexandria, VA where Contractors are expensive. I think in North Carolina you could get a much better price.

    If you go modular plan on the amount of time for the site work (shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks) plus a day for the modular installation and then another week to wrap it up. That is assuming you pick 99% of the materials from the modular company. 

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

  • Architect · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 317 posts · 371 votes
    9y

    Also, you don't need an Engineer as the modular company does all the structural plans. Same goes for the electrical and plumbing. Depending on your lot and zoning you could get away with no Architect. That hurts to say but it is true. 

    Also all the inspection are done in the factory and the plans are approved by your state with a third party inspection agency. You might need to submit plans to your municipalities but that is more for references and zoning requirements. The only inspection you need are for you foundation and the connection to the modular home.

    If you go this route and modify the design yourself just send it to me and I'll give you my comments to make it the most cost and layout efficient. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    @Eric Teran - I just finished looking through all 26 pages of your build blog - very impressive! I really like the basement wall system - incredible that it doesnt require a traditional footing. Almost more incredible that they can install it in a matter of hours. Im really interested in following along as your build progresses. You must be super excited to see your hard work coming to fruition. It an added bonus that you have your son by your side. Thats an experience that neither of you will ever forget. Im going to look into the company that you are using. We will likely do another build and I think that modular may be a really good option. Our neighbor across the street has a beautiful modular home. It was built before we arrived. I never would have guessed it was a modular before they told us that it arrived in 4 pieces!

  • Architect · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 317 posts · 371 votes
    9y

    @Justin Tahilramani - the basement system is amazing as well. It is called Superior Walls. They are allowed on the East Coast but I don't think they have gotten approved for the West Coast yet. Also, they don't do many basement on the West. You can also build Superior Walls up to three floors. However, if you did that I would say build SIP (Structural Insulated Panels) instead. If you want a contact for Excel Homes let me know and I can forward you his email. 

    It has been an amazing experience with my son. He loves playing in the mud and testing all the windows open/close properly. Hopefully we move in by the end of April so I can finally sleep!

  • Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Justin Tahilramani I envy you folks in warmer climates (I'm in Downeast Maine). Everything I do here has to be planned out with the looming certainty that "Winter is coming". Anything with water (even the drains on condensing LP units) has to be within the heated space of a building. 

    Good luck with the project, and well done finding a niche that works so well.

  • Puyallup, WA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I have the same thought of building a duplex and using both sides for short term rentals.  Seems like it could be a great money maker in my location which is a suburb of Seattle.  Possibly I would live on one side eventually.  I look forward to hearing about your progress!  One thing that I am seeing a lot of in my area is a duplex with a one car garage for each side, but the garages are in the middle of the duplex, with the living areas on each end.  That seems genius to me, because then you would not ever hear your neighbor through the walls.  

    For the RV hookup rental - in my area tiny houses are a huge new trend and there is a serious lack of good places for people to park them.  Many people park them in a family or friend's back yard, but then if they are rented out then the authorities find out, and some people have gotten into legal trouble.  They are classified as RV's and are illegal to live in because of their small square footage except in a few specific situations like you are farming the land, or building a house, or caring for a sick relative.  The only legal way in my state at the moment to rent out hookups is to classify your property as an RV park.  So I think that would apply in your case as well if you are offering an RV hookup for rent, but if you can find a way to do it legally you might want to tap into the tiny home movement as well.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    Thank you for your insight – and for keeping this thread going ;) I really think it will be helpful for those aspiring to dive into similar projects. My wife and I lived in Spanaway for a while – so I’m pretty familiar with your neck of the woods! RE is really heating up in your area.

    I like the idea of the garage in the middle of the duplexes, and I agree that it's the best layout with regards to privacy. We opted for no garage for a few reasons – most notably is the fact that we wanted to keep the build as affordable and simple as possible. I believe that SIMPLE is one of the keys to a successful STR.

    The RV hookup is still a little of an unknown to me. I’m going to do a little more research on whether it will fly or not. I still plan to have it set-up during the build because the cost is negligible if it’s done during the build.

    As for progress – the plat plan is scheduled to be completed on Monday. Should break ground o/a 1 May.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    9y

    Well - we ended up 26 days past the anticipated start date, but we finally broke ground! The delay mas mostly due to adjustments that needed to be made to the plot plan. Here is a picture at the end of day 1. Let me know if you are interested in seeing the project progress. I am happy to keep this going for others that are interested in the topic!

  • Leominster, MA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed-  Would love to see how that project went and how it is doing now!

  • Real Estate Agent · Abigndon, MD · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Wow - I guess I left this thread hanging. Let me know if anyone is interested in an update.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    6y
  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Justin Tahilramani

    I definitely want to see the updates!! I am looking at building a duplex or two on a lot which exists beside a sfr that I closed on yesterday! Keep us posted!! Looks awesome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Justin Tahilramani

    I am absolutely curious what something like that cost to build... all in? Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.