Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 152 posts · 86 votes
With the news recently that VRBOHomeaway is joining Airbnb in limiting communications with guests, I got to thinking how I follow up with past guests.
Are you collecting contact information from the guests while on-property so that you can follow up with marketing at a later date?
Currently my repeat guest share of current year bookings is 14% but ideally I'd like that to be much higher.
I've got a newsletter template that I send out occasionally with deals and specials but I'm not great at getting guests to give me their email while on-property, at least not beyond the primary guest who booked the stay.
I'm thinking of putting a small placard somewhere that says something like "text your email to NNN for discounts and specials for your next stay" but I'm not sure that'll do anything.
Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 79 votes
9y
I'd be curious to hear more about this. We have the primary's email address but I feel as though this might be intrusive, or viewed as spam. What say the others?
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
9y
@Peter R. that's interesting that you get 14% of your business from repeat guests. Do you always offer discounts for repeat bookings or do they sometimes pay full price?
I know Airbnb gives a pseudo-email (ex. johnsmith1234 @ guest-airbnb.com) instead of the guest's actual email so do you request it separately via Airbnb?
I'm not currently collecting guest emails but am intrigued by the concept of reaching out to them to fill in gap dates.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
9y
Great point.
I'm not doing that at all but interested.
The reason is the payment issue IMO: Since the ultimate goal is to have part of the business coming in through direct transactions, whether through our own websites or just links in an email blast for specials or newsletters, my sole concern is the payment. In a direct situation with a credit card payment, whether through Paypal, Stripe or any other intermediary, if the guest cancels and asks for refund, we don't have an easy task. Worse, they may also stay and then ask for refund because the TV was not working ;) The credit card company or the bank or Paypal are going to be the referee, and that's not gonna be fun. (from experience from ecommerce and other online sales, I can tell that the consumer's behavior changes a lot based on the size of the merchant).
Today, I either use vrbo/airbnb (who in case of conflict, if you are a long time host with great reviews facing a bad guest, vrbo/airbnb cover you 100%) which is great, or I do direct, (only for longer term guests), get them sign a detailed agreement, and accept only cashier checks (delay, etc..).
Today, we never hear about a credit card dispute or fraud etc... because HA/airbnb handle it, and even if they don't collect their money (rare but very possible , such as same day bookings), we are paid and safe. Have you ever thought about that?
I think cancellations are not a big deal right now because we are protected by the big guys (airbnb/vrbo), who scare the guests right away just by their size. It maybe a different story when we deal directly.
That said, it's not a reason not go direct: we need to be aware about the challenges and have the right pricing, right tools/partners, etc...