Do Your Guests Clean Anything and Other Housekeeper Questions

Do Your Guests Clean Anything and Other Housekeeper Questions

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes

What is your check out procedure for guests?  (run dishwasher, take trash out, strip beds?) 

Do you have a vacuum in each property or does cleaner bring their own? (I never thought of this until bed bugs were brought to my attention. One vacuum for 5 properties = 5 properties with bed bugs should there be a problem)

Any other housekeeping tips or tricks would be great to share! 

0Reply
24 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 79 votes
    9y

    We ask our guests to:

    - Bag and take out trash to bins outside

    - Load dishwasher and start before leaving

    - Put all bath linens (towels, not sheets) in a pile in the bathtub.  We don't ask them to strip the beds.

    - Set thermostat back to certain set temperature

    - Lock house and return the key to the lockbox (if needed)

    Any more than that and I think you quickly run into the "Well why am I paying for housekeeping services then?" question.  That said, most guests tend to straighten things up fairly well before they leave.  

  • Shenandoah Valley, VA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    we ask that they do the dishes/run dishwasher, that's it. the rest is our job.

    and we have a vacuum at each location. but you should ask your cleaners if they bring their own. they're cheap enough to have one at each property if needed.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Return all items to the original location. (i.e. beach chairs,bikes). Spare linens used on sofa beds etc. go in laundry area ...not closed up in the couch.
  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    We have a vacuum at each location.

    We ask that guests set the thermostat back to a certain temp.

    We ask them to load and start the dishes.

    We have them start a load of towels, and if time permits, put them in the dryer and start a load of sheets.

    We have them take out the trash.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I keep a vacuum and cleaning supplies in all 22 of my furnished houses.  Whether or not they get used is up to the tenants.  I tell them to take the trash out when it's full, most of them do that.  My tenants are refinery contractors; welders, pipefitters, electricians, boilermakers, scaffold builders, etc.  I do all the laundry myself and make the beds, so I know everything is clean.  Other than that, I don't tell or request my renters to do anything else.  A lady does all the rest of the cleaning in the house for me for free.  She also lets me sleep with her.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    @Luke Carl we don't require our guests to do anything in particular since our cleaner takes care of everything. We have never had any issues so far. I've read of other owners requesting but not requiring certain things to make it easier. I agree with @Mark S. in that if you ask too much, they might wonder why they are paying a cleaning fee. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.