Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 95 votes
Hi everyone,
My name is Mark.
First time posting here on the site. I will be closing on my 1st property in the Coachella Valley-La Quinta area in the next week. I will be renting it out as a vacation rental on a short term basis. I’ve done my homework on laws/regs and license requirements already and have reached out to local cleaning teams and handymen. I plan on handling everything remotely and wanted to get some input on products you guys might use such as keyless entry locks, security cams and wireless thermostats etc.
Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you.
In case it matters, 2/2 1595sq ft on 9200 lot. Desert area where summers can reach triple digits.
Thank you!
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
Zmodo security cameras is what I use. You probably need one to watch each door and one to watch the most expensive HDTV in the house. Tell your tenants about the cameras. Tell them to unplug them when they arrive and plug them in when they leave. That's what I do. My repeat customers know the routine, I don't have to tell them.
Investor · National · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 101 votes
8y
Mark Futalan
There’s numerous products out there that work really well. What I suggest you focus on is devices that play well together. For this it comes down to using smart hubs. Lowe’s Home Improvement offers a product called Iris that has an entire line of everything from locks to thermostats to cameras. This gives you everything you need but is still relatively cost effective compared to other products on the market.
https://www.irisbylowes.com/products/?gclid=CjwKCAjw4sLVBRAlEiwASblR-8fQVLNokS8Uvlk9YJQAlSQcf8DDmFefQ9rYOCzvycl8i07nGf6BmRoCPlEQAvD_BwE
Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 95 votes
8y
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into that. My main concern is monitoring the exterior property while the property is vacant. I would hate for tenants to unplug my cameras and run the risk of forgetting to plug back especially since I’m 2 hours away from my rental. I definitely would make sure they are aware of them but I would also mainly be putting them along the exteriors if the house
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
@Mark Futalan We have Arlo cameras installed at our own residence, they are outdoor WiFi surveilance cameras. They run off batteries that last about 6 months. You can not really shut them off, they stay on all the time. Motion detection, night vision, saves to the cloud, you get alerts on your phone and can view the camera.
Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 95 votes
8y
A friend of mine also recommended the Arlo cam as well. I like the wireless feature as it’s easier to install compared to the wired ones, I just wasn’t sure on the reliability. Do you get notification if the battery is low? 6 months isn’t bad.