Airbnb Rentals front door locks

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

I leave my doors unlocked when I'm expecting someone, or if I'm out of town.  There is a surveillance camera facing the front door and the HDTV, it records all movement and sound.  My repeat renters know this.  They walk in the door, walk over to the camera, wave and say "Hi Paul", then unplug it. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I like RemoteLock - I've got them on all of mine now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 335 posts · 251 votes
    7y

    I've got a Shlauge, and I'm pretty happy with it. 

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Roselyn Williams, I have been using Schlage with Nexia remote hubs for about 4 years now.  They can be a bit of a headache to setup but once they are running they are bulletproof for the most part.  The Nexia subscription is only $9.99 month and it can run a variety of home automation systems...anything using Z-Wave technology.  

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Paul Sandhu has the key to all of my doors. 

    August or Resort if you want a smart lock 

  • Sales Consultant · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you Jon.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I leave my doors unlocked when I'm expecting someone, or if I'm out of town.  There is a surveillance camera facing the front door and the HDTV, it records all movement and sound.  My repeat renters know this.  They walk in the door, walk over to the camera, wave and say "Hi Paul", then unplug it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    7y

    We use August smart lock and keypad. They aren't hard wired and we change the batteries every 4-8 weeks. We also use Schlage (no smart ) touch pad locks on two places. 

  • Rental Property Investor · HOUSTON, TX - Texas · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Roselyn Williams I use Schlage Smart Door Lock with Schlage WiFi adapter.I like the ability to remotely change locks codes as needed

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    No one is using Next x Yale?

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y
    Erentalocks. Reliable base lock, not wifi or power dependent, get the slightly pricier one. Batteries last 6 months

    Originally posted by @Roselyn Williams:

    Hi great investors, which are the best locks for Airbnb properties?

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 181 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    We're using August Home.  With WiFi, I can unlock remotely but because they use bluetooth when you're at the door they will still work without power or WiFi. We also use a keypad that bluetooth connects to the lock for guests without smart phones. One of my favorite features is that the August app links with Airbnb. The same time our guests get an Airbnb confirmation they also get the link and code for the August app.  We don't have to remember to send them the info. Their unlock codes and app are only valid for the duration of their stay.

  • Sales Consultant · Durham, NC · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you for all your help

  • San Diego CA | Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    We use Schlage smart locks, hooked up to our alarm system via z-wave. This allows me to grant new codes for every guest (I use the last 4 of their phone number) and it will automatically expire the codes for when I set them. I believe you need some kind of hub for the smart lock portion though. Otherwise, you have to manually program and change the codes via the lock itself.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I have wifi thermostats, wifi water heater, outdoor security cameras, but still use a lock box. It has never failed me and works every time with no setup and no batteries. If it isn't broke why fix it?

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    I have wifi thermostats, wifi water heater, outdoor security cameras, but still use a lock box. It has never failed me and works every time with no setup and no batteries. If it isn't broke why fix it?

     No one ever loses the keys?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric P.:
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    I have wifi thermostats, wifi water heater, outdoor security cameras, but still use a lock box. It has never failed me and works every time with no setup and no batteries. If it isn't broke why fix it?

     No one ever loses the keys?

     Not in 4 years.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 126 votes
    5y
    Julie McCoy are you still happy with remote lock? I am trying to replace locks on my units and trying to vet the product. DO you use a deadbolt just handle system?

    Thanks so much for your help!

    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    I like RemoteLock - I've got them on all of mine now.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jake Cohen I'm looking for a new product, the software is not as flexible as I'd like and it has not kept up well as platforms have changed their APIs (for example, it will no longer import VRBO reservations, and while it's added native messaging to AirBNB, it will send the door code info the second a reservation is confirmed, which I loathe because a) it's not the first contact I want guests to have with me, and b) guests forget it by the time their reservation rolls around and STILL message me asking for their door code).  I've also had trouble integrating a new lock that doesn't have the same check-in/out times as my other properties.  

    I'm on boarding a new property soon and am going to try the Schlage Encode with that one... we'll see how it does!

  • Property Manager · Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    @Julie McCoy  @Jake Cohen We've recently got our locks completely automated regardless of channel using zwave/Smartthings hub/Rboys rental lock automator.  Our channel manager sends the automatic door code out the morning of check-in, and then seperately the zwave locks are setup with the personalized door code for start & end dates/times.  I usually spend $100 on the zwave lock itself, $60 on the zwave hub, and $99 on the one-time license for Rboys.  So it's typically about $260 upfront,  but no recurring charges and we've got it working with about 20 properties without issues so far.

  • Jake CohenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 126 votes
    5y

    @David Bergmann how long have you been using this system? I previously used some Schlage connect locks but found after a couple years they became unreliable. What locks are you using in conjunction with this system? I have had issue with the hub being one more item to make sure is connected to the internet. I was leaning towards direct WiFi connection locks that are lever only instead of deadbolts as we have issues with wood expanding and contracting in the mountains. 

    @Julie McCoy appreciate the feedback. I definitely don’t like the idea of the remote lock code going to the guest immediately. That seems like a big oversight on behalf of the company. I have a couple of the Schlage encodes and they work reasonably well. I was just hoping to try a lever only smart lock to alleviate the door expanding contracting issues with a deadbolt. Good luck!

  • Property Manager · Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    @Jake Cohen  I've used both the deadbolt ones and lever ones, both work fine but I tend to prefer the deadbolts myself but its just a personal preference.  I can see using the ones for the handles if there is a humidity problem for the deadbolts. 

    We will use any locks that support zwave, so can be anything that comes up when you search zwave door lock in Amazon (for the most part).  I've used these lever ones a few times in the past:

    https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset...

    I haven't had an issue with reliability and its been about 3.5 years for the first ones we installed.  The only problem we ever have is batteries going dead, but the smartthings app gives us a battery warning when they are going dead.  The biggest issue we've had is one lock said it was 90% and went dead on us during a guest stay, so we had to replace that lock because it was defective.  We also started to install on the back doors too as a "backup".

  • Chris MuryBusiness Member
    Realtor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 100 votes
    5y

    @David Bergmann

    This is my exact setup as well. Where are you getting hubs for $60? I assume you’re using the Samsung hub? I can’t find them under $150.

    Chris Mury- Realtor543 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    @Chris Mury  So I learned about this just the other day.  Samsung basically stopped producing the hubs while they move their production to a new facility, and so those standard SmartThings hubs are out of stock everywhere and the only ones you can buy are marked up around $180 from what I have found.  We ended up using the Samsung Wifi Router/SmartThings hub combo instead, and they run around $120 a piece.  They are nice in that they replace the need for a separate router.  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...

  • Chris MuryBusiness Member
    Realtor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Bergmann:

    @Chris Mury  So I learned about this just the other day.  Samsung basically stopped producing the hubs while they move their production to a new facility, and so those standard SmartThings hubs are out of stock everywhere and the only ones you can buy are marked up around $180 from what I have found.  We ended up using the Samsung Wifi Router/SmartThings hub combo instead, and they run around $120 a piece.  They are nice in that they replace the need for a separate router.  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...

     Thanks, David. I actually bought one of the combo units thinking it was the Gen 3 hub and returned it because I thought it was the wrong item. Good to know that it can be used as a hub/router!

    Chris Mury- Realtor543 Reviews
  • Realtor · St. Petersburg FL · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 71 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Kong that's what we use on all places

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.