Airbnb Rentals front door locks

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

I leave my doors unlocked when I'm expecting someone, or if I'm out of town.  There is a surveillance camera facing the front door and the HDTV, it records all movement and sound.  My repeat renters know this.  They walk in the door, walk over to the camera, wave and say "Hi Paul", then unplug it. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 245 posts · 275 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Bergmann:

    @Chris Mury  So I learned about this just the other day.  Samsung basically stopped producing the hubs while they move their production to a new facility, and so those standard SmartThings hubs are out of stock everywhere and the only ones you can buy are marked up around $180 from what I have found.  We ended up using the Samsung Wifi Router/SmartThings hub combo instead, and they run around $120 a piece.  They are nice in that they replace the need for a separate router.  https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...

    Hey guys. I'm here searching the forum for locks too. I met David at a local REI meetup and he shared with me what he's using. I go to order the SmartThings Wi-Fi Mesh Router and it's out of stock.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 245 posts · 275 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @David Bergmann:

    @Chris Mury  So I learned about this just the other day.  Samsung basically stopped producing the hubs while they move their production to a new facility, and so those standard SmartThings hubs are out of stock everywhere and the only ones you can buy are marked up around $180 from what I have found.  

    David - I see some used SmartThings Hubs on eBay.  If I went that route, do you have any recommendations on what gen to purchase (1,2,3)?

  • Chris MuryBusiness Member
    Realtor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Copeland:
    Originally posted by @David Bergmann:

    @Chris Mury  So I learned about this just the other day.  Samsung basically stopped producing the hubs while they move their production to a new facility, and so those standard SmartThings hubs are out of stock everywhere and the only ones you can buy are marked up around $180 from what I have found.  

    David - I see some used SmartThings Hubs on eBay.  If I went that route, do you have any recommendations on what gen to purchase (1,2,3)?

    Ryan, I've been using the Gen 3. Give EBay a shot.

    Chris Mury- Realtor543 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 245 posts · 275 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mury:

    Hi Chris. Thanks for the response.  How have you been liking the setup?  Are you also using the locks David suggested?  

  • Chris MuryBusiness Member
    Realtor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Copeland:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mury:

    Hi Chris. Thanks for the response.  How have you been liking the setup?  Are you also using the locks David suggested?  

    No problem. Yes, I'm using Schlage Connect locks (I think the model number is BE469) in conjunction with the RBoy Software and Samsung hub. It's hard to set up the first time but easy once you know what you're doing. They've worked perfectly with one exception that was fixed by installing their device handler for Z-wave locks.

    Chris Mury- Realtor543 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I use the simple Schlage Camelot. Easy to install and program, never had a problem with them. 

    New technologies are cool, but too many potential failure points.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I use august lock 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.