Smart Thermostat for new Airbnb...

Smart Thermostat for new Airbnb...

Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 11 votes

Howdy - I'm here with another basic STR question as I jump into my first short term rental. I've searched the forums and seen support for Nest and Honeywell T5. What thermostat do you use and recommend? Thanks in advance for your insight and advice! :-)

1Reply
188 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Santa Rosa Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 6 votes
6y

@Brady Beshear we use nest thermostats in our short term rentals. During the summer you can put a lock on the air conditioner that will go in a range we typically have ours at the lowest 70° and that the warm is 76°. During the winter you can set the same thermostat to heat at a certain temperature range as well. It’s the only thermostat that I know that you can do that with.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    6y

    What about an exterior thermostat with sensor that is tied into the inside thermostat.  I use Honeywell and its great for my MF boiler.  Its fully programmable and turns the boiler on/off as programmed.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Brady Beshear I bought this one and love it! Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat for Smart Home, DIY, Works With Alexa, Energy Star Certified, ST55 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB1OB0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K0LUDb6HQKWM2

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brady Beshear:

    @Michael Baum - I am not sure about the wiring.  My current tenant is moving out later this week, so I'll have access on Friday. It is a central AC/heating system. Thanks for mentioning the Emerson Sensi and the Wink 2 hub. It looks like I need to dive deeper into this in order to identify the best automation ecosystem for my needs!

    You should be aware that Wink might be going out of business:

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/...

    When we ordered the Wink Hub 2 last summer, shipping was very delayed. As I remember, it was a month late in shipping. Also, very disappointed in the functionality that their app provided. I was hoping they'd add more functionality as time went by but I guess that is not to be. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Well that is a bummer. I guess I will have to come up with another solution.

    Thanks for the heads up!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tato Corcoran:

    @Brady Beshear I bought this one and love it! Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat for Smart Home, DIY, Works With Alexa, Energy Star Certified, ST55 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB1OB0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K0LUDb6HQKWM2

    Thanks for sharing, Tato!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Carolyn Fuller:
    Originally posted by @Brady Beshear:

    @Michael Baum - I am not sure about the wiring.  My current tenant is moving out later this week, so I'll have access on Friday. It is a central AC/heating system. Thanks for mentioning the Emerson Sensi and the Wink 2 hub. It looks like I need to dive deeper into this in order to identify the best automation ecosystem for my needs!

    You should be aware that Wink might be going out of business:

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/...

    When we ordered the Wink Hub 2 last summer, shipping was very delayed. As I remember, it was a month late in shipping. Also, very disappointed in the functionality that their app provided. I was hoping they'd add more functionality as time went by but I guess that is not to be. 

     Thanks for the info, Carolyn!

  • Residential Real Estate Investor and Broker · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    My HVAC contractor said not to use Honeywell. too many issues. ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Julie Groth:

    My HVAC contractor said not to use Honeywell. too many issues. ?

     Interesting. What brand(s) does he recommend?

  • Residential Real Estate Investor and Broker · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    He didn't like smart thermostats. He just had bad experiences with Honeywell.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.