What are good resources for short term rental laws

What are good resources for short term rental laws

Yonkers, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes

Hey BP community, wanted to know if any of you have any good resources that clearly map out laws/stipulations of operating an air bnb out of a property in Westchester, NY?

Thanks for the help!

0Reply
25 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    I would start with the code & zoning department for your community

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I would start with the zoning & code department for your community

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    6y

    I find trying to slog my way through government regulations to be a bit overwhelming. For instance, the latest regulation in my state starts: "830 CMR 64G.1.1 repeals and replaces the regulation formerly titled as "Establishments Subject to the Room Occupancy Excise" and reflects the statutory changes enacted by St. 2018, c. 337 and St. 2019, c. 5."

    Therefore, I try to find a more user friendly web site that can distill the above into something that is readable. 

    Try entering the following search terms into Google:

    short term rental regulations Westchester, NY

  • Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    check the local municipal code, most are online. Unless its condo, co-op, or HOA you should be fine. In that case you need to review the house rules and check with management. Have seen owners of condo's and co-op's get into trouble running an AIR BNB out of a co-op.

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    6y
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will try all that you recommended.
    I appreciate you all!
  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y
    Yea, dont do this! Go to the source. You do it right or regret it later. See the other posts above.

    Originally posted by @Carolyn Fuller:

    I find trying to slog my way through government regulations to be a bit overwhelming. 

    Therefore, I try to find a more user friendly web site that can distill the above into something that is readable. 

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Carolyn Fuller:

    I find trying to slog my way through government regulations to be a bit overwhelming. For instance, the latest regulation in my state starts: "830 CMR 64G.1.1 repeals and replaces the regulation formerly titled as "Establishments Subject to the Room Occupancy Excise" and reflects the statutory changes enacted by St. 2018, c. 337 and St. 2019, c. 5."

    Therefore, I try to find a more user friendly web site that can distill the above into something that is readable. 

    Try entering the following search terms into Google:

    short term rental regulations Westchester, NY

    long overdue thank you! Same here I was able to find the coding and zoning laws but same verbage and was not clear at all. 

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    I would start with the zoning & code department for your community


     Thank you for your response to this years ago...I'm back from hibernation. I found my local zoning and coding department this year...have an email correspondence with them, hopefully they can help. Thanks Paul!

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ken Latchers:

    I would start with the code & zoning department for your community


     Thanks Ken; sorry for the late reply. I found the code and zoning department for my community and am in email correspondence with them. 

    Thanks so much for helping pointing me in the right direction

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Kerry G.:

    Hey BP community, wanted to know if any of you have any good resources that clearly map out laws/stipulations of operating an air bnb out of a property in Westchester, NY?

    Thanks for the help!

    As others have said, check out the township and county code. Most of these are online.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.