Airbnb Management Terms for Other People's Listings?

Airbnb Management Terms for Other People's Listings?

Od NtukPro Member
Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 9 votes

Hey All,

I'm a 5-star host across Airbnb, TripAdvisor, and HomeAway. I have fully optimized my own listing within my two-family home in Brooklyn and now I'm looking to make extra cash by managing other people's listings. I would like to ask people who are actively managing other people's listing what terms you have in place? Are you managing listings more as a partnership where you are taking a commission or a percentage of profits? Or, are you renting the unit and making a profit on the margin on top of the rent? If you are taking a percentage what percentage are you offering? 

I have a neighbor who has approached me about setting up an Airbnb in an available apartment within his property. The unit has been empty for 6 months or so since he had a bad tenant. I did not want to take on additional responsibilities until I fully optimized my own listing. Now that I have a solid channel manager tool, and cleaning team I feel confident that I can make it work. I just don't know whether I should set it up as a partnership or rent it out. He has quite a bit of furniture in there that would make it easier. He has a bed, couches, dining table, desk, TV, and entertainment center so it would be an easier lift. I would want to get a futon bed for hosting larger groups, but beyond that, I already have extra linen and such that I would need to get started. I would just need to spend a bit of time dressing up the place and making it more attractive and comfortable.

1Reply
29 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    Have you checked into the legal aspects of managing other peoples property?

    You may have to be a broker or at least have a Property Manager license to be able to legally do this.

    I would check into local laws and rules before deciding to do something that could potentially get you in hot water. Then if you are legal look into after confirmation.

  • Od NtukPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood Thanks for alerting me to do this. I will check out the rules in NYC.

  • Od NtukPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood I look online and I don't see anything in NYC that states implicitly that you need a broker's or property management license to co-host a listing. In my neighbor's case it's not like it is an empty building. He lives there with his family. I figure since it is a legal building that I will be fine with either renting out the place or co-hosting his own listing. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Od Ntuk:

    @John Underwood I look online and I don't see anything in NYC that states implicitly that you need a broker's or property management license to co-host a listing. In my neighbor's case it's not like it is an empty building. He lives there with his family. I figure since it is a legal building that I will be fine with either renting out the place or co-hosting his own listing. 

     See what the requirements are to manage a property that you don't own for profit. That is what a Property Manager does.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.