How old is your oldest STR?

How old is your oldest STR?

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I have a 2 BR house built in 1904, 2 blocks away I have a 2 story house built in 1911, and across the alley from that is a 3 story house built in 1910.  Currently have 16 heads in beds in those 3 houses.

0Reply
99 views

Most Popular Reply

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

We had to raid college and retirement accounts to get it rebuilt, and lost 2 years of revenue.


See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    Wow @Paul Sandhu is it haunted?

    Mine is about 22 years old.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu I have a house that was built in 1895. It's in great shape though. Awesome house.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 181 posts · 115 votes
    6y

    We have one that was originally built in 1893. Brick structure so it’s still solid. Everything but the shell was updated in 2019. Zero maintenance now. 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I had a cabin built circa 1800 in the Smoky Mountains, right on the Roaring Fork River.  It was the oldest cabin in the Appalachians that you could rent.  Guests who were into history loved it.  It burned to the ground in late 2016 in the Great Gatlinburg fire.  Very sad.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Collin Hays now THAT is heartbreaking.

  • Investor · Tampa Bay Florida · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Collin H. Wow. That's horrible ☹️

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    Wow @Paul Sandhu is it haunted?


    The one built in 1910 has renters experiencing all sorts of paranormal activity.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    We had to raid college and retirement accounts to get it rebuilt, and lost 2 years of revenue.


  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Collin HaysWow! What a bummer deal. That looked like a neat place. How did the rebuild come out?

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Baum:

    @Collin HaysWow! What a bummer deal. That looked like a neat place. How did the rebuild come out?

    It was very painful financially.  We spent our entire college savings accounts and cashed in some retirement to get it done.  When guests feel that I’m greedy not to refund a last minute cancellation, I want to ask “where were you will I was living through 18 months of hell to get this thing rebuilt”?  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Collin Hays, that sucks but didn't insurance cover the rebuild cost? I am very curious about how you went about it. We get fires in the north Idaho region. I am insured up to my eyeballs but I wonder if I am doing things right.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Baum:

    @Collin Hays, that sucks but didn't insurance cover the rebuild cost? I am very curious about how you went about it. We get fires in the north Idaho region. I am insured up to my eyeballs but I wonder if I am doing things right.

    Yes, we had insurance.  But in a natural disaster, you need to take what it normally costs to rebuild a home and double it.  Labor shortages and price gouging rule the day.  Also, we lost two full years of income.


    It was a financial blood bath for us.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    I have a house in the small town of Yarnell AZ where 19 firefighters died in 2013.  127 houses burned in that fire (1/4 of the town), and the owners found that they too couldn't count on insurance covering the rebuilds because of price gouging.  When there are only a few contractors in the area, they up their price because they can.  Many of the homeowners could not rebuild, and the empty lots are still for sale.  Luckily, we did not lose our house, although 3/4 of the property burned, and fire came to within 10 ft of the house.
  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2019 · 237 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    My oldest is about 30 years old. I try not to go much further than that. My first property was built in 1905 and constant maintenance costs and issues I had with it were't worth it. I drew a line in the sand at 30 years max and so far so good (knock on wood.)

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2019 · 237 posts · 169 votes
    6y

    @Collin Hays Sorry to hear about the hardship with the cabin. You would think pieces of history like that would have more protections given to the owners should something like that happen.

  • Biloxi Mississippi · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Collin H. So sorry to hear that! A part of history lost 😔

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu I’m thinking 1997ish

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl my newest is 1972.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Man @Collin Hays! So sorry bud. That is really sobering. You should write a blog post about it. Alot of folks could benefit from your story.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I’m glad to share my experience but I have no idea how to do a blog.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

     my oldest is 1822. I consider it easily the most important property in the nation available for rent.

    I wouldn't put him on par with Benjamin Franklin, but I would put him on par with Thomas Edison.

    but I guarantee you never heard of him.

  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    @Collin Hays That totally sucks. What a great treasure lost. My oldest is a new one. 1989

    We had a brush fire on Clabo Mtn a few months ago now and that was so so scary. WE had guests at 3 cabins on the Mtn. One thing I totally recommend is having a phone chain with everyone you can. Within 30 minutes everyone was contacted and being updated. Everyone was down from the MTN except for 2 guest of my MOM's @Rhonda Blue. We were in direct contact with the fire chief and sheriff. They cleared the fire from the road and rescued them from the cabin. Thankfully no Individuals or cabins were harmed but a few fences were destroyed. We were so Thankful for all the immediate responses from everyone. 

    Guests were not phased. We had them stay at another cabin for the one night and they went back up to finish their 2 week honeymoon. RAVED about the experience. I'm still nervous. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 70 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

     my oldest is 1822. I consider it easily the most important property in the nation available for rent.

    I wouldn't put him on par with Benjamin Franklin, but I would put him on par with Thomas Edison.

    but I guarantee you never heard of him.

    This post still intrigues me two weeks later!! 😀 

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    It is true, but I wont reveal the details. You would be shocked to know all this man did.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.