How to reliably estimate occupancy rate for vacation rentals

How to reliably estimate occupancy rate for vacation rentals

Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes

The short version, with direct questions: I've started analyzing vacation STRs in different areas of Washington state. My efforts are primarily focused in areas near the Hood Canal. I'm really struggling to come up with reasonable occupancy rates as inputs to my spreadsheet models. What data sources can I trust so I can more reliably narrow down my criteria and underwrite a deal? How can I learn what variables are important (Is it views? Is it a specific location name? Is it purely marketing prowess?)? How do you underwrite your first vacation STR with so many unknowns?

The long version w/confusing information and a small bit of rambling/trying to process:
I spoke with a STR company, and they suggest some parts of the area, a 1 bed/1 bath cabin: Situation A, have 15% occupancy off-peak, and 50-70% occupancy during a 4 month peak. A realtor I met with (not too familiar with STRs) sold a property recently in Situation A which had revenue which lines up nearly exactly with this occupancy rate. I recently stayed at a slightly different 1 bed property which is ~30 minutes from the area and closer to 'normal' civilization, Situation B, (with amazing views), and the owner said he has a 6 month peak of 100% occupancy and 50% occupancy the rest of the year.

I've looked at AirDNA, which I've recently learned about, and the free views claim that that rentals in Situation A have 50%+ occupancy rate, resulting in nearly 2x the revenue I would expect from from the information from the management company in the area. 

One piece of information says a $150k property won't cash flow. Another says that I can pay $300k+ for the same property. And if I can learn the variables from Situation B that result in their high occupancy, can I apply them to Situation A and pay $450k+? 

2Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Avery CarlBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Jeff Dzado that’s the problem. It’s probably best to keep investments and vacations separate. But if your goal is just to make enough for it to pay for itself when you aren’t using it, it might be possible.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    I'd look at actual properties on vrbo and airbnb and see how full their calendars are.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff Dzado get the paid version of Airdna so you can ensure you’re looking at the whole picture (although Airdna is not gospel, the data is getting better all the time). Compare that to the property manager projections for the same property.

    I wouldn’t put much stock in what the owner says or really in rental history at all. Rental history is a variable. You need to measure properties with the same measuring stick, and if they weren’t all managed by the same manager, you’re always going to be comparing apples to oranges.

    Also, go on Airbnb and VRBO and look at what your potential neighbors are getting per night and how booked they are. Compare your findings on Airbnb, the Airdna data, and the projections from the management company, and you’ll have a pretty decent idea of how booked the property should be and at what prices.

  • Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    @Avery, Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at nearby properties and I have a good idea of what the rental $ should be--but it is VERY difficult to get a full year or two picture from looking at a couple of months of calendar especially right now--because they are mostly all vacant because WA State is pretty much still on lockdown.

    How do I get a big picture view including seasonality for occupancy rate in an area, is AirDNA the best it gets?

    It also seems like a huge gamble to operate if I don't know quite for sure the variables involved to make a place have 33% occupancy rate on the year vs 75% occupancy rate on the year. Both are on VRBO, Both are listed for $150/night, both have similar reviews, one is "full", the other not. It's a big blackhole of understanding for me, and I'm trying to color in the picture a bit more.

    Maybe I need to start underwriting individual properties rather than trying to understand the market as a whole? I still don't know how to narrow down what I'm looking for, though...I want to make it easier for myself if I can.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff Dzado AirDNA will show you the market as a whole, yes. There are some other options too but they are significantly more expensive. You could also call one of the major national property managers who can afford the big data (Vacasa, Evolve, etc) that the local guys can’t. 

    What led you to this particular market for STR? There are also many articles with data detailing the best short term and vacation rental markets to invest in out there!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
  • Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Hey Luke, thanks for the link. I saw that post earlier today.

    Avery, I'm interested in the area because we're looking for a place nearby (2 hours driving distance for us) which can double as a family vacation place a few weeks out of the year (mostly off-season).

    We're still looking in different areas also, but all within 2 or so hours of driving.  We're looking for a place which we would like to vacation, but also is justifiable as a vacation rental. Maybe that is a harder approach to take to the problem?

  • Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Also, it was a guy at Evolve I spoke to about the Scenario A. I thought he was giving me specific rental numbers, rather than market level analysis. Maybe I need to circle back to him about it.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff Dzado that’s the problem. It’s probably best to keep investments and vacations separate. But if your goal is just to make enough for it to pay for itself when you aren’t using it, it might be possible.

  • Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the conversation here and for the feedback! I super appreciate the advice--will definitely take it into serious consideration, especially given how much success you've had and how respected you are within this community!

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    Howdy Jeff - You've already received good feedback from the others that have responded, but I would also suggest tracking down a realtor that knows the STR market in that area. As an agent in Charleston, SC I provide my clients all the necessary data to make informed decisions when looking to invest in this space. Revenue breakdown based on location and number of beds/baths, expenses, operating services (cleaners, PM's, handyman, etc...), regulations, and anything else pertinent to the business.

    Track down a good agent and they should be able to help you hone in on the right property type versus trying to boil the ocean yourself. 

  • Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Bradley, what are some good questions for finding such a realtor? I found a realtor for my quadplex by finding them through someone on BP in the area and interviewing them. Maybe I'll search for area keywords... That worked before. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    My apologies, I should have suggested a few vetting questions in my last post. Some agents may withhold more detailed information until they have a relationship with you but a good starting point:

    - Have you previously represented the purchase/sale of a STR or a property targeted to be transitioned into a short-term rental?

    - Do you own and/or operate a STR? (While not the end all, those that have skin in the game should have a good sense of the market performance).

    - What's a realistic cap rate for STR's in the area?

    - Can you breakdown any regulations or ordinances applicable to the area of interest?

    A well versed agent should be able to provide quality responses to these questions, as well as weed out the inexperienced. As to your question about finding one, that can be tricky depending on how popular the STR market is in the area you're looking. PB is a great starting point! Also, some brokerages advertise this specialty service (google search), otherwise property management companies that service the area should have some good referrals.

    Good luck!

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y
    Your first year you may be a lot more empty, no repeats or referrals, you have no reviews. And you make errors  and you will not be optimized and a lot of other things. You'll have a lot to learn and you may buy wrong property and you may run into buzzsaw Neighbors or get into problems with zoning or code enforcement...

    originally posted by @Jeff Dzado:

    The short version, with direct questions: I've started analyzing vacation STRs in different areas of Washington state. My efforts are primarily focused in areas near the Hood Canal. I'm really struggling to come up with reasonable occupancy rates as inputs to my spreadsheet models. What data sources can I trust so I can more reliably narrow down my criteria and underwrite a deal? How can I learn what variables are important (Is it views? Is it a specific location name? Is it purely marketing prowess?)? How do you underwrite your first vacation STR with so many unknowns?

    The long version w/confusing information and a small bit of rambling/trying to process:
    I spoke with a STR company, and they suggest some parts of the area, a 1 bed/1 bath cabin: Situation A, have 15% occupancy off-peak, and 50-70% occupancy during a 4 month peak. A realtor I met with (not too familiar with STRs) sold a property recently in Situation A which had revenue which lines up nearly exactly with this occupancy rate. I recently stayed at a slightly different 1 bed property which is ~30 minutes from the area and closer to 'normal' civilization, Situation B, (with amazing views), and the owner said he has a 6 month peak of 100% occupancy and 50% occupancy the rest of the year.

    I've looked at AirDNA, which I've recently learned about, and the free views claim that that rentals in Situation A have 50%+ occupancy rate, resulting in nearly 2x the revenue I would expect from from the information from the management company in the area. 

    One piece of information says a $150k property won't cash flow. Another says that I can pay $300k+ for the same property. And if I can learn the variables from Situation B that result in their high occupancy, can I apply them to Situation A and pay $450k+? 

  • Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Quick follow-up for those interested. Through an interesting set of events, I found a STR property manager local to the area (who also owns an STR in the same area). Turns out that the location is the most popular wedding destination in the Pacific Northwest. Also, homes on the water, with a view will rent for ~$300/night and have great occupancy traits. Take the property off the water but keep the view and it is ~$275-250/night. Take the property a block of two off the water and have a slight view, it is down around $200-225/night.

    The area is super-boosted by the destination wedding location, and the views and water access of some properties make it super attractive. 

    Go 20 minutes to half an hour away to a nice area further in the mountains with a nice private lake? Doesn't matter--People are going to the other location because of weddings.

    Mystery solved for me. Thanks everyone for your input! It was all very helpful!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hey Jeff!

    I’ve been looking into investing in that area and just stumbled across your post.

    Did you end up getting a STR as an investment property? If so, I would love to hear about where it is located and how things are going for you. The information you found on the wedding destination is super interesting.

    I’m new to the investment arena and just finished Avery’s book on STRs.

    I’ve been looking into the hood canal area some smaller lake areas more inland as a regional destination vacation rental. I’ve also considered in the Port Angeles and Forks region more for visitors to the Olympic National Park.

    Any information you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

    Best Regards,


    Jim Casler

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jeff Dzado Easy. Call a realtor who knows the subject market.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Delete 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.