Are loan payments tax deductible when pulling STR equity out?

Are loan payments tax deductible when pulling STR equity out?

FL · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 68 votes

Hi everyone, long-time listener, first-time caller... I am in awe of all your collective knowledge and hoping to tap into it for something I've been curious about.

I own a STR with no mortgage, held directly not in an LLC and I deduct on Schedule E for Federal tax purposes. Because of depreciation I generate a paper loss every year. I cannot deduct that loss due to my income level.

I would like to pull equity out of this property with no immediate plans on the table to use it, but want it available for possible use for another property. My question is, is the interest, closing costs, etc. a deductible expense for the property on Schedule E?

If not, how does everyone pull equity out of their properties to use for other purposes?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Joe

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

Ask a CPA. But before you do that. Ask that CPA how many rental properties they own. 

BUT BEFORE THAT I WOULD.... 

Sell that thing and 1031 into a bunch of down payments on properties that actually make money. 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
    6y

    The #1 reply to this will be: Consult with your CPA regarding your situation.

    But, in my situation, yes, the *interest* on the loan is a deductible expense on my schedule E before and after refinancing.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Just curious, how the heck does  a property with no loan show a loss, after expenses and depreciation? Yes, I understand depreciation. 

  • FL · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    It is a seasonal rental condo in New Jersey, which has a limited summer rental season, high property taxes and HOA expenses. I'm debating whether to pull money out and keep it or do a 1031, hence my question.

  • FL · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    Thanks Chris, looking to generally understand more about when it would or would not be deductible if you know them.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Tax treatment of STRs can be tricky, including the financing thereof.  I wouldn't waste key strokes on here.  Use those fingers to search for a trusty accountant.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Ask a CPA. But before you do that. Ask that CPA how many rental properties they own. 

    BUT BEFORE THAT I WOULD.... 

    Sell that thing and 1031 into a bunch of down payments on properties that actually make money. 

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Joe C., You may be getting a lot of personal use/satisfaction from owning that property.  And that's a whole different issue.  There are really two reasons to hold on to a property that loses money - You're in love with it.  Or it's going to appreciate like gang busters.  So if this property doesn't fit either of those two spots it's a dog that won't hunt.  And adding debt on top of that isn't going to improve the performance.  Even the blended return from a good property bought with the refi is going to be dragged down by the performance of this one.

    I don't see this as so much a tax issue as a performance issue.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 541 posts · 715 votes
    6y

    LOLOLOLOL!!! I cannot say this enough times: sell your properties in the north and buy properties down south!!!

    “It is a seasonal rental condo in New Jersey, which has a limited summer rental season, high property taxes and HOA expenses.”

    Let me say this as nicely as possible for the 1000th time: you can only invest every dollar once, invest it where you will make the highest ROI. Plain and simple, period.

  • Rental Property Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2017 · 335 posts · 387 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Miles:

    LOLOLOLOL!!! I cannot say this enough times: sell your properties in the north and buy properties down south!!!

    “It is a seasonal rental condo in New Jersey, which has a limited summer rental season, high property taxes and HOA expenses.”

    Let me say this as nicely as possible for the 1000th time: you can only invest every dollar once, invest it where you will make the highest ROI. Plain and simple, period.

    Ditto. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Miles:

    LOLOLOLOL!!! I cannot say this enough times: sell your properties in the north and buy properties down south!!!

    “It is a seasonal rental condo in New Jersey, which has a limited summer rental season, high property taxes and HOA expenses.”

    Let me say this as nicely as possible for the 1000th time: you can only invest every dollar once, invest it where you will make the highest ROI. Plain and simple, period.

     And this advise is coming from a guy who lives up north!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe C.:

    Thanks Chris, looking to generally understand more about when it would or would not be deductible if you know them. 

    My understanding is that as long as the cash out is going back into the business, it is deductible. And "the business" doesn't mean only the property you got the equity out of - it means your rental property business, so you could use the cash out for a down payment on another property, because they are all part of your rental property business. Even if the properties are titled to separate LLCs, they all collapse onto your personal return from the IRS's perspective so it is all one rental property business.

    That's my understanding; but I am NOT a CPA and not giving tax advice (just to be clear) ;-) I'd be happy to recommend my CPA for a deeper conversation!

  • FL · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    Everyone, thank you. I appreciate the feedback! I do feel like I should be investing elsewhere, and there's a couple of reasons why I asked this question but didn't go into more detail to keep the question straightforward.

    As I have only one STR and have a minor in accounting I have been doing my own taxes so do not have access to a CPA at this time. So far everything has been simple and straightforward.

    1) If I go the 1031 route, because the 1031 process depends on the amount of equity in the property I thought if I pull the money out first it will lower the equity required to be invested in the new property.

    2) If I don't go the 1031 route, I would be investing the money in a new property.

    Either way I wanted to see if the interest on the loan would be tax deductible while things were progressing. It doesn't seem like there is a simple answer or guideline on how to determine that though.

  • FL · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    Thanks, this makes sense. So it's not tax deductible if I'm going to spend the money on vacations and cars, but if I'm using it to buy a new property it would be.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
    6y

    @Joe Celentano that's how I read the rules and my current CPA agrees. My last one didn't, and he also wasn't an REI, so I ditched him for someone that was invested in understanding this more deeply. )pun intended)

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    6y

    @Joe C. 1) wrong. 1031 does not use equity in the home being sold, it uses its sale price. 
    2) do it.

  • FL · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    @Nancy Bachety 

    I think I'll have to start a separate 1031 thread then. My 1031 company has a summary guide and in it they say:

    "The equity in the replacement property must be equal or greater than the net equity in the relinquished property
    (contract sales price less routine transaction expenses less the mortgage payoff, if applicable). A trade down
    in value or equity creates a taxable event for the Taxpayer."

    I thought I might lower the equity in the property first, which is why I started this thread.

    Thanks everyone!

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Joe C., Your 1031 source is correct but you have to understand their interpretation of equity.  In order to defer all tax in a 1031 you must do two things:

    1 Purchase at least as much as your net sale (contract price minus closing costs).

    2. Use all of the net proceeds (net sale minus mortgage pay off) from the sale in the purchase of your replacememts.

    Any amount you purchase less than your net sale or any amount of cash you take out is considered to first be a dollar of profit by the IRS.  So if you reduce equity by refinancing a property immediately prior to sale you are still left with the  requirement to purchase at least as much as your net sale.

    Secondly, what that QI didn't tell you but should have is that a cash out refinance followed closely by a sale and 1031 is looked at suspiciously by the IRS.  There have been many interpretations where this practice was declared a way to access profit but still perform the 1031 to achieve tax deferral.  In other words they're on to this game.  If you want to take any money out you'll need to pay tax on it.

    Unless.... You sell and do a 1031 and then refinance after.  That is perfectly fine.  Or you take cash out and pay the tax on it but shelter the rest of the tax in the sale.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    6y

    My wife and I sold three properties last October (10 LTR doors ) and 1031'd the money into two properties in North Myrtle Beach (3 STR doors). We took a hit with the rentals in March, April, and part of May but we'll still end up almost doubling our before tax cash flow this year. 1031 this unit and leverage as much as you can to get into multiple doors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.