What do you do when STR tenants lock themselves out?

What do you do when STR tenants lock themselves out?

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

3x this week I had to go to an STR and unlock the door. The D.F.'s left the key inside when the left and locked the door. I'm thinking about hiding a front door key around the house in something that is not the mailbox. What do you do?

D.F. = Dumb Folks or something like that.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

@Paul Sandhu For a simple solution, you could do what I did with all my rentals and just eliminate the keyed door handle. Just use a keyed deadbolt and a non-keyed door handle (usually called a closet door handle).

With that setup, you really can’t lock yourself out. Switching over to that setup completely eliminated my tenants locking themselves out. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu every VRB I have utilized has also had electronic locks, with such all could be accomplished over the phone of via use of the code they received via e-mail for check in which remains active during their use time and resets to a different code for next tenancy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu For a simple solution, you could do what I did with all my rentals and just eliminate the keyed door handle. Just use a keyed deadbolt and a non-keyed door handle (usually called a closet door handle).

    With that setup, you really can’t lock yourself out. Switching over to that setup completely eliminated my tenants locking themselves out. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
    6y

    Why would you have a front lock that can lock behind without inserting a key?  Deadbolts are very inexpensive and hard to lock on themselves, also one of the most secure locks out there.  Like other said here, eliminate the handle lock or re-key the deadbold, throw away the handle key, is useless anyways.  

    Buy a good lock preferably one with wireless connection so you can lock or unlock, share/change passcodes as you please avoiding to call the locksmith and costing you headaches, time, and money. 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 397 votes
    6y

    As others have said, keyless entry. We get the locks that you can also open with a key if the code pad malfunctuons. We change the batteries once a year and in case the batterris die or lock malfuntions, we have a key in a lock box attached to the house somewhere, like the  water spicket or gas meter. If needed we can send the guest the code to lock box, ( in 5 years, we have never needed it) 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Kyle J.:

    @Paul Sandhu For a simple solution, you could do what I did with all my rentals and just eliminate the keyed door handle. Just use a keyed deadbolt and a non-keyed door handle (usually called a closet door handle).

    With that setup, you really can’t lock yourself out. Switching over to that setup completely eliminated my tenants locking themselves out. 

     That's is a great solution.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

    3x this week I had to go to an STR and unlock the door. The D.F.'s left the key inside when the left and locked the door. I'm thinking about hiding a front door key around the house in something that is not the mailbox. What do you do?

    D.F. = Dumb Folks or something like that.

     Put in your lease that a lock out costs $50. That way you'll be making some money and I know you live close to your rentals.

  • Robert TinkerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2019 · 246 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    I use Schlage Encode. I set the Tenant/guest code the same as the last 4 digits of their phone number. It allows me to set the date and time when they can begin to use it as well as ending date and time. I have a lock box with a key in case batteries die.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu I use a Schlage keyless entry and have extra keys in a lockbox jic

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu I manage several rural STRs. So travel to and from is a long way. I eliminated these issues by having keypad locks on the deadbolts. Called a locksmith to disable the bottom locks. And I have a manual lockbox mounted outside somewhere with a key inside it. Different code. So in the case the batteries die or some other random issue happens, there’s a backup. Always.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu

    Simple. Get a lock box with a code. If they lock themselves out you give them the code. You change the code after. My tenants think I’m god sent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.