Getting good contractors & cleaners - Poconos / Pocono Pines

Getting good contractors & cleaners - Poconos / Pocono Pines

Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 141 votes

I am considering a property in Pocono Pines, PA that will require rehab.  I'm interested in hearing from investors working in the area to learn about how challenging they've found it to find and maintain good support - both for contractors on a rehab and for ongoing caretaking, cleaning, and maintenance on a short-term rental.  I've heard from one or two people that the area can be challenging in terms of securing good cleaning help.  What has been your experience?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

if you’re still looking after @Mark Miles response you could try The Enemy Method

And I guarantee there’s a Facebook group for property owners in the area 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 541 posts · 715 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert M.:

    I am considering a property in Pocono Pines, PA that will require rehab.  I'm interested in hearing from investors working in the area to learn about how challenging they've found it to find and maintain good support - both for contractors on a rehab and for ongoing caretaking, cleaning, and maintenance on a short-term rental.  I've heard from one or two people that the area can be challenging in terms of securing good cleaning help.  What has been your experience?

    It’s BRUTAL. A big problem you’ll have in the Poconos is that contractors & service professionals & cleaners & handymen have a habit of being SOOOO unreliable that there’s actually a term for it: the Pocono Promise.

    It means when someone tells you they’ll be there at a certain time to clean your house or fix something & you never hear from them again! Seriously, that’s what this area is known for! 😝

    I suppose that’s what happens in drug-laden areas (seriously like half the Poconos is addicted to either meth or opioids or both. When you hear the term “opioid crisis”, the Poconos is the textbook definition). The lack of reliability causes MAJOR stress & headaches for my friends who own homes in the Poconos

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    if you’re still looking after @Mark Miles response you could try The Enemy Method

    And I guarantee there’s a Facebook group for property owners in the area 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    See if there is a local real estate club that can provide references. 

    Also check on Takl.com and thumbtack.com

  • Scott RankinPro Member
    Investor · Jim Thorpe, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    I have a couple of STRs in Pocono Pines and I have not had any issues with cleaners/contractors not showing up.  I will say that finding good handyman/contractors is hard because the good ones are booked all the time, but it's not impossible.  If you're interested DM me and I can send you links to some local Facebook groups that we're a part of.  

    Overall, I've had great experiences so far.  I don't think it's any harder in this region to find good people, you just need to work the phones, ask everyone you meet for recommendations, etc.  A little legwork is always rewarded.  

  • Investor · Nortnern Colorado · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 131 votes
    6y

    Lots of phone calls. Lots of checking references. Do all the contractor things like set specific expectations early, don't pay till work is done, inspect frequently. Be ready to diplomatically end the relationship when things tank. I have a few properties in a small mountain town and the smaller the market, the harder it is. Not impossible, but yeah, way harder than a robust STR community (I have some in a much larger market where vendors are all over). Best of luck! I hear Poconos are an up and coming place.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I used to live 8 miles from Stroudsburg... as a contractor I learned early, Stay away from the Poconos. Nothing but a waste of time and people trying to get everything for nothing. Haven’t worked anywhere in the Poconos in 15 years.

  • Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Robert Mitchell I know a reliable house cleaner in the Poconos I'll reach out to her and see if she's taking on any new clients she handles many high-end homes around Lake Harmony. She could be a good contact for you on other matters also because she's reliable

  • Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 141 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Angelo Forzano:

    @Robert Mitchell I know a reliable house cleaner in the Poconos I'll reach out to her and see if she's taking on any new clients she handles many high-end homes around Lake Harmony. She could be a good contact for you on other matters also because she's reliable

    Thanks to all of you!  @Angelo forzano, I welcome the contacts!  Many thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.