Cleaning & Maintenance Fees in Remote Market

Cleaning & Maintenance Fees in Remote Market

Rental Property Investor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 20 votes

Hello - 

I have just one listing with hopefully another being added next month. They are in a remote town in Maine. I currently use Vacasa and am moving away from that to manage myself. I am in Texas. I found people I trust in the area that would like to take on Housekeeping and respond to the rentals if there is a need I cant handle over the phone. 

Questions: 

Agreeing on rates for a small 3/1 for Housekeeping and Trash Removal seems pretty straightforward, Assume it's around $100 per turnover, does that sound in the ballpark? That is what Vacasa charges my guests now. 

Is it more common to provide cleaning supplies or ask for that to be included in the quote?

Do you offer bonuses for 5 Star reviews? For Example: Each quarter of 5 Stars for cleaning I will pay a $200 bonus?

How do you set up an agreement for someone to respond to a rental for minor maintenance? One fee per response, Hourly Rate?

Appreciate any help you can give...I look forward to the day I can pay it forward. 

0Reply
22 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    $100 sounds about right, I'd start around that mark. My cleaners supply their own cleaning supplies at no extra cost (although you'll want to supply your own vacuum, bedbugs can travel from property to property in vacuums). I'd lean more towards random bonuses throughout the year rather than having them come to expect it every quarter.

    My handyman charges a visit fee of $40. If it's something simple like changing a light bulb, it stays at $40. If it is a task that requires more time spent, he charges hourly on top of the $40.

    Hope this helps!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Congrats on moving to self management!

    $100 per cleaning sounds fair and thats what I pay on a 3 bedroom 2 bath house. 

    I have given a $100 Christmas bonus.

    I would find someone you trust and just pay them what they ask per instance. If they get too high find someone else.

    You can use sites like Takl.com to find your initial handyman or HVAC person. You could also ask other local property owners for referrals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Do you recommend paper checklists or do you use digital formats like YM (Your Welcome) that provides the tablet for guest guide and cleaning checklists? 

  • Investor · Nortnern Colorado · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 131 votes
    5y

    @Chris McKenna Congrats! Yeah, long distance can be harder. But honestly, it can be BETTER. Why? Because you're not tempted to go to the house and do everything yourself. You'll be treating it a lot more like a business. 

    RE cleaners: ask around locally to other owners. Rates can vary a lot, as can their terms. Do they supply linens? Soap and shampoo? Trash bags? Are you going to have those shipped to them? Ask all those questions. FWIW, have more than one cleaner in the area on your list. Chances are good you'll have to use another one sooner or later. 

    You can have a checklist of what you expect them to do, sure. But you're going to have to use a third party in the area to go by and see if they did it. I've been through several cleaners in different markets and they all seem to have this in common: they have their way and they do it on autopilot. If you want something unusual done, just know that it's not part of their workflow and plan (and pay) accordingly. 

    RE bonuses, we do offer that on a per-review basis. It's not huge, but it's enough that it makes a difference to the cleaners. But honestly? We do that as a prompt for the GUEST to leave ***** review. They may for our sakes, but if they do find the house clean, they basically get to give the cleaners a tip using our money. They can feel good about it and it costs them nothing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.