Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Scott K.
Votes |
How do you handle trash in your large rural STRs?

Scott K.
Posted Oct 25 2020, 08:09

What do you guys do for garbage? My situation is this.

1. Large rural STRs with 12-20 person groups.

2. Community has compactors that guests can take garbage to for free essentially

3. Can't really leave outside since bears destroy any bear-proof bin I make (made 2 so far, perhaps I should use metal instead of wood?)

In the past I used to ask my cleaning crew to take out the garbage at the end of their stay, but my cleaning crews are pissed and are getting more and more upset. They are also charging $100 a pop now, and one threatened to quit over it. If a crew didn't take out garbage for whatever reason, the next set of guests would leave a bad review from the smell and overfilled bins.

So now I ask guests to take out their own garbage - but of course they don't. I'd say 25% do. The other 25% warn me they 'simply can't, our cars are too small!' and the other 50% never say a word. I have multiple message reminders, it's written on laminated sheets on the fridge, and all guests are notified when they check into the community about this issue.

Any thoughts about compliance? Or do you guys just hire a handyman to take care of it for a fee? I tried getting curbside pickup but 1 house doesn't allow it, and the other house the garbage bins get attacked by bears overnight, or the garbage men don't come at all, or there aren't enough bins.

Loading replies...