Daytona Beach Short Term Rental Update

Daytona Beach Short Term Rental Update

Property Manager · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 86 votes

Four years ago me and some other vacation rental investors in Daytona Beach sued the city in an attempt to allow STR in all of Daytona Beach. We fought for this for several reasons: 1. tourism is our main economy 2. there are an incredible amount of dilapidated homes that could be renovated and made beautiful if the investment return justified it (which STR in a beach town could) and 3.this is a family-friendly, lower-cost and now COVID friendly way to travel.

Bottom line.  We lost.  And then we lost every appeal.  

I have many opinions on why we lost, band don't believe we should have and our points were solid...but that doesn't change that we lost. 

Fast forward to Nov. 2020-The City of Daytona started issuing fines up to $15k for even POSTING on any STR site, even if you never rent a single day. They recently fined one new investor $10k for posting on Airbnb and he had never even booked a reservation. To add insult to injury, he removed the listing the day code notified him of the issue (since it's very difficult to get information on where STR is and is not allowed in most cities) as he didn't even know he was violating anything. $10,000!!!! What?!? The city is aggressively going after every STR owner (my hearing is this Tuesday so I'm sure I will get whacked with a big fine) and adorable vacation homes are showing up for sale weekly.

So what's the good news? Four years ago we saw the writing on the wall on this so I started working with other cities in the area and compiling lists of where STR is legal (and there are plenty of spots to invest in Volusia county that should have great returns, you just have to know where). We are buying STR/Vacation Rental homes as fast as they come on the market and killing it on our returns. Additionally, there are pockets where long-term rental returns are also amazing and can cash flow great, you just need to know where to invest.

Florida has over 1000 people moving in a day, our supply is almost non-existent compared to the past and even condos are giving amazing returns (example: we have a new condo purchased at $270k bringing in $4k a month in short term rental income).  While the economy may dip in the future (and will at some point, when is the question), Volusia County is still poised for strong growth IMO.  Our low cost living, weather and current interest rates make for a very interesting investment in the area or in Florida in general.  Where else can you get a home with a pool a block from the beach under $500k?

We have two vacation rental investor groups starting up next month and meeting monthly. One is for women only (sorry guys, but I'm trying to help my girls invest and grow their wealth..it's my mission lol) and another that is open to anyone interested in learning about STR/Vacation Rental and LTR investing in the area. We talk about exactly how the numbers work and are looking to put together some deals for the group so that people that can't go "all-in" on a property can partner up with others with more experience and grow together. Message me if you would like to come to one of our meetings! It will be fun, we'll have drinks and meet at a local vacation rental-this is a great way to learn more if you are interested in this type of investment.

12Reply
257 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 9 votes
4y
Originally posted by @Cory Cannon:

There are hundreds of Airbnbs listed now. You think they just don't enforce it anymore? 

Have wondered the same thing. I actually took the time to message a host on Airbnb that has 10 listings scattered throughout Daytona Beach, east of Halifax. Not a single one is located on A1A but in residential neighborhoods. I asked "How are you getting around the city's no STR?"

His is reply word for word... "Hi Stetson! We get everything licensed and play within the guidelines. We don’t get around anything."

I asked if I could have 7-9 minutes of his time for further clarification. I have not heard back. 

I recently have moved to the area and am on the prowl constantly for potential deals. Many of the realtors I've spoken to about STR in the area have mentioned they have sold houses to hosts who have other STR's as well and they just do it anyway. They say they do it because no one can enforce it. Krista so far, is the only person who has told me DON'T DO IT!

The fines are real by the way. You can go to the city website and see the litigations against properties that have posted on Airbnb. They have pictures of their Airbnb posting and everything.

The host I spoke of earlier, that has 10 listings, has hundreds and hundreds of reviews. Therefore, I assume they didn't just start. They been hosting for a LONG time. I am very curious how they are getting around it because I am stocked, locked and ready to lay down some cash on some properties!




See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Elkridge, MD · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I am rolling the dice. I talked to a couple vacation rentals that don't really handle the STR and they aren't seeing much enforcement as long as you pay taxes on the income and not causing issues with the neighbors.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Hi Krista! Which cities/areas in Volusia County are allowing STR's?

  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I'm looking at a triplex in Daytona Beach. It would be okay as a LTR but would kill it as a STR. Zoned R-3 but I can't get the city to call me back on the possibility of turning it into a 5 plex and / or STR... 3 Blocks from the beach near Daytona Lagoon. There are hundreds of Airbnbs listed now. You think they just don't enforce it anymore? Should I maybe list it as a 30 day rental or do you have to do 6 months there? I think I'll still put in an offer even if I can only use it as a LTR but just wanted to see what you all thought.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    I know this posting is probably late as I just found this, but I am new to investing and looking for my first property. I am a home owner already and have a career in the medical field which I am trying to leave after 14 years. My goal is to gain financial freedom and create passive income through real estate (STR/Mutliplex ect). I was looking in Daytona Beach to possibly start an AirBNB, and that's when I came across this posting! I had no idea that only specific sections of the city allowed STR. I would be very much interested in resources to learn more. Thank you.

  • Property Manager · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 86 votes
    4y

    Hey all!  Sorry for the delayed reply!  @William Camacho- A Salty Dog Property Management (but I'm biased lol) is the best vacation rental management shop in Volusia and Flagler IMO.  I"m surprised to hear you haven't had issues as Volusia and Daytona have been crazy with stopping STRS lately.  @Sean Carroll, yes we still have the group but have been way too busy with all our new properties to meet lately but want to soon!  @Andres Triveno, it's all over the place with where you can and can't, some parts of Daytona you can, very few in Ormond, Ponce is sporadic, etc.  I have maps and basically every address that is legally zoned memorized in the County (except NSB), @Cory Cannon, Daytona is definitely enforcing, many that you see in city of Daytona are condos or just haven't got hit with the fine yet...IMO not worth the risk in city of Daytona at all...unincorporated Volusia maybe but I personally know at least 15 of those that got in trouble too.  City of Daytona is 6 months, Volusia 30 days, @Ian Fried, yes, glad you found this as you don't want to learn the hard way. I had a couple call me devastated this morning-they bought a house next to a STR that they thought they could rent, posted it and immediately got called to special magistrate and hit with the fine....so now just two months after buying they are selling (but lucky for them it's a good sellers market)...they are devastated as they thought they finally had their beach house but they just didn't know the rules.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Coast FL · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi there, first post and new to investing and wanted to see if there are any groups here local to my area to start gaining a good network in the industry.  Could I join the group please?

  • Member since 2020 · 56 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    Hi All,is there a way we can see which zone in Dayton beach area allow STR?

    @Krista Goodrich Sorry for joining late this party but,I also would like to join your group if there are still vacancy.

    Thanks

  • Property Manager · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 86 votes
    4y

    Hey everyone!  A few of you have reached out and it's been another hectic week so I am trying to get back to all.  Several people have asked for maps/etc about the zones-I have compiled information over the last 7 years and basically have it on crazy maps in my office and in my brain memorized.  Unfortunately, there is not a central place for everywhere in the area, but you can always reach out to each individual zoning office to be directed to where to go or look at the zoning maps for the various cities/county.  

    Our next investor meetup will be Feb. 8th at 5pm at Stock and Brew on A1A in Daytona.  I'm going to be creating an event on FB so follow me there if you haven't already, it's Krista Dowling Goodrich.  

  • Rental Property Investor · East Coast FL · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi Krista, thanks for the update at least, very much appreciated!  I will look out for the meeting on Facebook.  Curious, is there a dedicated online group for investors in the Daytona area for meetups/knowledge sharing/etc on Facebook or here on bigger pockets?  Or maybe I can wait for that meetup to ask the question.

    Also, about the discussion on Daytona cracking down on STR's, you all mean short term rentals only right? not long term rentals ie. yearly leases?

  • Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    @Krista Goodrich I’ll be in town that day so I’ll plan to come to the meet-up on the 8th 👍👍

  • Rental Property Investor · East Coast FL · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    I didn't see the FB meetup listed.  just wanted to make sure its still happening and if it gets cancelled, would be great to know

  • Investor · Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Cory Cannon:

    There are hundreds of Airbnbs listed now. You think they just don't enforce it anymore? 

    Have wondered the same thing. I actually took the time to message a host on Airbnb that has 10 listings scattered throughout Daytona Beach, east of Halifax. Not a single one is located on A1A but in residential neighborhoods. I asked "How are you getting around the city's no STR?"

    His is reply word for word... "Hi Stetson! We get everything licensed and play within the guidelines. We don’t get around anything."

    I asked if I could have 7-9 minutes of his time for further clarification. I have not heard back. 

    I recently have moved to the area and am on the prowl constantly for potential deals. Many of the realtors I've spoken to about STR in the area have mentioned they have sold houses to hosts who have other STR's as well and they just do it anyway. They say they do it because no one can enforce it. Krista so far, is the only person who has told me DON'T DO IT!

    The fines are real by the way. You can go to the city website and see the litigations against properties that have posted on Airbnb. They have pictures of their Airbnb posting and everything.

    The host I spoke of earlier, that has 10 listings, has hundreds and hundreds of reviews. Therefore, I assume they didn't just start. They been hosting for a LONG time. I am very curious how they are getting around it because I am stocked, locked and ready to lay down some cash on some properties!




  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi, I would like to join the group , please I would like to join the group and start about inverts short term in Daytona fl

    Thanks 

  • Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 16 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Sean Carroll:

    @William Camacho - good for you! This thread hasn't been too active but I'm looking for a manager as well. Curious with your single fam - what's been your findings/experience regarding the recent ban on short term rentals that the county says they are enforcing in Volusia County? Did you get the license from the city? Or are you in an area that's zoned for STR?


    I am very curious about this question as well. I am considering an STR in Ormond by The Sea, but the ordinance prohibiting STR's frightens me.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Loving all the energy of your post and the group you’ve formed!!


    If you are interested in growing your STR portfolio or anyone in your network is looking to invest in an STR, I'm actually selling my beachside condo in Daytona Beach (official STR zoning) to pursue new ventures on the west coast.

    Can send you the listing in a private message .

    Keep up the great work and that passionate, fire energy!!!

  • Investor · Key West, FL · Member since 2011 · 127 posts · 29 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stetson Turner:
    Originally posted by @Cory Cannon:

    There are hundreds of Airbnbs listed now. You think they just don't enforce it anymore? 

    Have wondered the same thing. I actually took the time to message a host on Airbnb that has 10 listings scattered throughout Daytona Beach, east of Halifax. Not a single one is located on A1A but in residential neighborhoods. I asked "How are you getting around the city's no STR?"

    His is reply word for word... "Hi Stetson! We get everything licensed and play within the guidelines. We don’t get around anything."

    I asked if I could have 7-9 minutes of his time for further clarification. I have not heard back. 

    I recently have moved to the area and am on the prowl constantly for potential deals. Many of the realtors I've spoken to about STR in the area have mentioned they have sold houses to hosts who have other STR's as well and they just do it anyway. They say they do it because no one can enforce it. Krista so far, is the only person who has told me DON'T DO IT!

    The fines are real by the way. You can go to the city website and see the litigations against properties that have posted on Airbnb. They have pictures of their Airbnb posting and everything.

    The host I spoke of earlier, that has 10 listings, has hundreds and hundreds of reviews. Therefore, I assume they didn't just start. They been hosting for a LONG time. I am very curious how they are getting around it because I am stocked, locked and ready to lay down some cash on some properties!




    Curious what you ended up doing??? 
  • Investor · Key West, FL · Member since 2011 · 127 posts · 29 votes
    2y

    So I went to the city website to see the STR violations, and there are several. There are also some that are years old. I took a screenshot as an example. Although it's public info, I blacked out the owner names….but it appears they first got cited in 2019 and are being fined $100 a day to max out at 15k. So…. they just keep running it making $$$$ daily/weekly/monthly only to max out at a 15k fine? Then what??? Is that it?? Does something happen after that?? It seems they haven't paid and have continued to operate as a STR.

    I also added a more recent violation where the fine is 15k. So before they charged $100 a day until it reached a 15k max. It appears the more recent changes were just to immediately impose the 15k fine and lien the property. Ok, then what? You continue to run the STR with a 15k lien on the property??

    What steps do they take after that? It's clear that there are some who have been fined for years, who appeared to have reached their 15k max and continue to STR. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 48 votes
    2y

    Well, They could lien your property for non payment. Bad idea to intentionally violate county/city rules. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.