I closed on my house on yucca valley ( west of Joshua tree at jan 25th, I applied for the short term rental almost 45 days ago and still haven’t heard a word.
I'm wondering if I can start my Airbnb process while I’m waiting...
what’s the worst thing that is going to happen?
I'm in the permitting process for my detached guest house in Yucca Valley and they said they are taking up to 60 days because they are getting applications every day now. Joshua Tree has gotten pretty saturated with 1/3 of all housing as STVR. There has been a lot more activity now in Yucca Valley...my dad owns a dozen long term home rentals and since I manage them, I see the notices coming in the mail because you have to notify every owner within 300'. Yes, as stated by someone else, you can get your listing up but just not make it live yet. I see others doing that, however, you will want the best photos possible. @Phillip Kim, if you want hosting help, someone very good that is local is Katie at Desert Hosts. It's a family run business and they are local and very helplful and knowledgeable.
@Nina Nasootifard
Hi Nina,
Congrats on your purchase. As far as your question about posting your listing while still waiting for your permit, I'd be careful about doing that. Some cities contract with 3rd parties to monitor unpermitted STR's and if caught, you can receive large fines and/or potential to be banned from getting a permit. Not sure on YV but most cities out in the CV desert that allow STR's require a permit first prior to listing.
What's the hurry? Why not wait?
Of course you can set up your listings on Air, VRBO, Etc, but just don't make them live until the property is completely ready.
I think you have little to gain and much to lose.......
Hi Nina, curious if your permit ended up going through? I am looking to invest in the same area and would love to hear more about your experience.
I live in Yucca Valley. Yes, they have a 3rd party company that monitors listings and they will fine you. A lot of local residents are starting to organize themselves because of these types of reasons and they are putting pressure on the town to crack down on people that don't get permitted...also noise problems because out of town owners don't monitor what's going on at their properties. Trust me...you want to make friends with your neighbors...not enemies. If you don't live local you may want to consider a management company. I know of one that is reasonable and they allow YOU to maintain ownership of the listing. You have to be careful who you use.
I live in Yucca Valley. Yes, they have a 3rd party company that monitors listings and they will fine you. A lot of local residents are starting to organize themselves because of these types of reasons and they are putting pressure on the town to crack down on people that don't get permitted...also noise problems because out of town owners don't monitor what's going on at their properties. Trust me...you want to make friends with your neighbors...not enemies. If you don't live local you may want to consider a management company. I know of one that is reasonable and they allow YOU to maintain ownership of the listing. You have to be careful who you use.
Can you provide me with the management company? I'm closing on a property in Yucca and plan to set it up as an STR. Thanks!
I'm in the permitting process for my detached guest house in Yucca Valley and they said they are taking up to 60 days because they are getting applications every day now. Joshua Tree has gotten pretty saturated with 1/3 of all housing as STVR. There has been a lot more activity now in Yucca Valley...my dad owns a dozen long term home rentals and since I manage them, I see the notices coming in the mail because you have to notify every owner within 300'. Yes, as stated by someone else, you can get your listing up but just not make it live yet. I see others doing that, however, you will want the best photos possible. @Phillip Kim, if you want hosting help, someone very good that is local is Katie at Desert Hosts. It's a family run business and they are local and very helplful and knowledgeable.
Desert Hosts told me that she's swamped. You can also reach out to Aubrey at Desert Sands who Katie referred because she was so swamped. Let me know if you'd like an introduction @Phillip Kim.
If your property is on the higher end, Homestead Modern is who I'd recommend. They are very selective with the properties they manage though. I can make an introduction there, too.
@Jason Kudo yes, Joshua Tree Modern has some killer properties—extremely high end.
@Jason Kudo yes, Joshua Tree Modern has some killer properties—extremely high end.
Joshua Tree Modern is a real estate brokerage run by Bryan Wynwood and not a property management company. Nice guy. I've been the buyer's agent on one of his listings. Homestead Modern is the high-end property management company I think you're referring to which is run by Robert Brada.
Desert Hosts told me that she's swamped. You can also reach out to Aubrey at Desert Sands who Katie referred because she was so swamped. Let me know if you'd like an introduction @Phillip Kim.
If your property is on the higher end, Homestead Modern is who I'd recommend. They are very selective with the properties they manage though. I can make an introduction there, too.
That'd be fantastic. Can you DM me your number? Thanks
I'm in the permitting process for my detached guest house in Yucca Valley and they said they are taking up to 60 days because they are getting applications every day now. Joshua Tree has gotten pretty saturated with 1/3 of all housing as STVR. There has been a lot more activity now in Yucca Valley...my dad owns a dozen long term home rentals and since I manage them, I see the notices coming in the mail because you have to notify every owner within 300'. Yes, as stated by someone else, you can get your listing up but just not make it live yet. I see others doing that, however, you will want the best photos possible. @Phillip Kim, if you want hosting help, someone very good that is local is Katie at Desert Hosts. It's a family run business and they are local and very helplful and knowledgeable.
I just found out the Yucca home we're in contract with has an unpermitted structure (detached laundry room). Is that going to be a problem when we apply for an STR permit?
They make you sign a notarized statement saying:
“The residential structure at (insert address) complies with all Building & Safety and Zoning Codes at the time of construction.”
You will sign and have your signature notarized
this is if you’re in the city limits for Yucca Valley. If you’re outside the city limits then you have to deal with the county. My husband is a broker if you have any further real estate needs and I also have a background in construction so I have a lot of subcontractors if you need referrals
I would go down and talk to building and safety. Take as many photos as you can. Try and get information from the home owner. If it’s just a laundry room and not a living space it might be a non-issue. It’s mainly a concern if it’s a living space. Are you having a home inspection done? I would try and be there and walk it with the inspector then you could ask him questions.
I'm in the permitting process for my detached guest house in Yucca Valley and they said they are taking up to 60 days because they are getting applications every day now. Joshua Tree has gotten pretty saturated with 1/3 of all housing as STVR. There has been a lot more activity now in Yucca Valley...my dad owns a dozen long term home rentals and since I manage them, I see the notices coming in the mail because you have to notify every owner within 300'. Yes, as stated by someone else, you can get your listing up but just not make it live yet. I see others doing that, however, you will want the best photos possible. @Phillip Kim, if you want hosting help, someone very good that is local is Katie at Desert Hosts. It's a family run business and they are local and very helplful and knowledgeable.
I just found out the Yucca home we're in contract with has an unpermitted structure (detached laundry room). Is that going to be a problem when we apply for an STR permit?
One thing to be aware of with un-permitted space is that if there is an injury in the space, you could/will be held liable and your insurance most likely won't cover you for damages.
I would go down and talk to building and safety. Take as many photos as you can. Try and get information from the home owner. If it’s just a laundry room and not a living space it might be a non-issue. It’s mainly a concern if it’s a living space. Are you having a home inspection done? I would try and be there and walk it with the inspector then you could ask him questions.
Did the inspection today and the inspector didn't notice anything unusual and the structure looked to be well built. That being said, I stopped by the planning and building and they said the structure has to be permitted to get an STR permit.
Then talk to building and safety about what would be involved with getting a permit for that one structure. Paul Osterman is the best one to talk to, and he’s not there every day but usually between 7:30 AM and 9 AM. That’s when the inspectors are in the office and not out in the field. I think also from 1 to 2 PM. I would call and check because since Covid they may have changed things. I used to do a lot of new construction but it’s been a while.
I'm in the permitting process for my detached guest house in Yucca Valley and they said they are taking up to 60 days because they are getting applications every day now. Joshua Tree has gotten pretty saturated with 1/3 of all housing as STVR. There has been a lot more activity now in Yucca Valley...my dad owns a dozen long term home rentals and since I manage them, I see the notices coming in the mail because you have to notify every owner within 300'. Yes, as stated by someone else, you can get your listing up but just not make it live yet. I see others doing that, however, you will want the best photos possible. @Phillip Kim, if you want hosting help, someone very good that is local is Katie at Desert Hosts. It's a family run business and they are local and very helplful and knowledgeable.
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely getting busy. We are remodelling our first one in Yucca Valley, but it seems we have to get going on the permitting!
Then talk to building and safety about what would be involved with getting a permit for that one structure. Paul Osterman is the best one to talk to, and he’s not there every day but usually between 7:30 AM and 9 AM. That’s when the inspectors are in the office and not out in the field. I think also from 1 to 2 PM. I would call and check because since Covid they may have changed things. I used to do a lot of new construction but it’s been a while.
you are a treasure trove of information! Do you know if a hot tub requires a permit? We are having a hard time reaching building and safety- emails and vmails, but we see so many STRs with hot tubs, and was wondering if it requires permitting. Thanks in advance!
@Jc Galang, you have to pull a permit to run 240V for the hot tub. Don't recommend doing the Plug & Play 110v even though it's cheaper to do that. Other than that, I don't believe you need a permit just to put one in. What part of YV is your property? I have an awesome painter, electrician etc. I've done new construction so I know a ton of people; however, everyone is SO busy.
@Jc Galang it's important to note that some properties with a "Yucca Valley" address are actually in the unincorporated county, and the permitting requirements (and timelines) will likely be different. In the county, for instance, a hot tub does require a permit (https://wp.sbcounty.gov/ezop/p...).
@Jc Galang it's important to note that some properties with a "Yucca Valley" address are actually in the unincorporated county, and the permitting requirements (and timelines) will likely be different. In the county, for instance, a hot tub does require a permit (https://wp.sbcounty.gov/ezop/p...).
Thanks for the heads up, and you’re right! We are not in the unincorporated area and we fall into yucca valley. Either way, it seems we need it also in Yucca Valley. Thank you!
Hi @Lisa Edwards @Jason Kudo and @David Brooks appreciate the wealth of information. I'm currently in escrow on a home in unincorporated Yucca Valley that's listed as 3 bed / 2 bath but I just received the permit records and the master bedroom and bathroom were never permitted. It looks like they applied for a permit and got a few things signed off on but never had the permit fully signed off on / completed. Do you know how easy it is in unincorporated Yucca Valley to pull permits, reinstate previous permits, etc.? I'm planning on doing a substantial cosmetic rehab but wasn't planning on permitting or having to wait to get things going. Any ideas of cost and timing is much appreciated. Trying to decide if it's worth it to move forward. The plan is to have it on AirBnB within a few months... can't sit on it for a year. Any help is much appreciated.
@Matthew Vaughan yes I have a few things to say about it but I’m on vacation today still with my husband so I’ll have to answer it tomorrow.
Unfortunately, San Bernardino County can be a real challenge to work with (not because they are difficult, but because they are understaffed). I had to re-open a shower pan permit that hadn't been closed properly, and it took about a month to get it sorted out. There was no construction involved, and all it took was a final inspection (that took a total of 2 minutes). They will not issue an STR permit until all permits have been resolved.
All permitting is done through the county's "EZOP" system, and getting somebody on the phone to talk can be difficult. I investigated the possibility of building a house on a piece of land, and every contractor warned me that any permits that require construction will take a year to process. I think what you need to do will land somewhere in between - but I'm not expert. I would doubt you'll be ready in a couple of months, though (this summer, just getting the STR permit with no other complications took me six weeks).
Your experience might be different - but this is what I've learned as I've tried to figure this all out.