I closed on my house on yucca valley ( west of Joshua tree at jan 25th, I applied for the short term rental almost 45 days ago and still haven’t heard a word. I'm wondering if I can start my Airbnb process while I’m waiting...
I'm in the permitting process for my detached guest house in Yucca Valley and they said they are taking up to 60 days because they are getting applications every day now. Joshua Tree has gotten pretty saturated with 1/3 of all housing as STVR. There has been a lot more activity now in Yucca Valley...my dad owns a dozen long term home rentals and since I manage them, I see the notices coming in the mail because you have to notify every owner within 300'. Yes, as stated by someone else, you can get your listing up but just not make it live yet. I see others doing that, however, you will want the best photos possible. @Phillip Kim, if you want hosting help, someone very good that is local is Katie at Desert Hosts. It's a family run business and they are local and very helplful and knowledgeable.
@David Brooks thank you for the advice. I’ve heard from a few people, including my realtor, that the permit inspections can take some time. I’ll keep you updated as things progress. Still waiting on the septic report.
New to Real Estate · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 1 vote
4y
@Lisa Edwards I'm hoping to get an existing home in 29 Palms in the next few months. Building codes and unpermitted additions are definitely a concern of mine. I'd imagine some deals fall apart because of things not being up to code. Is it hard to find a contractor out there right now? I heard many are super busy.
Rental Property Investor · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2020 · 59 posts · 33 votes
4y
@scott
@Scott Urbas as long as you get your permit history from the city while you're in escrow and everything checks out you should be fine. Yes deals will fall apart because of that for sure but I've found 29palms to be extremely easy to work with both for permitting on work being done and the VHR permitting process. Finding trades is tough yes, we've ended up bringing up family contractors from OC to help us do a lot of our work DIY but I do have contacts for some trades e.g. kitchen, tile, flooring, countertops, electrical, roof and landscape if you need some DM me.
@Scott Urbas, yes it's hard to find a contractor. I ran my dad's construction company for 8 years until he closed it now that he is 90. I have done a lot of new construction. On remodels that have a lot of smaller projects with multiple trades, it's better to use someone that has their own crews for a lot of the work. So, for remodels I have someone I work with. His crews are cross-trained in different trades. Bigger things like a new roof, he will contract out with a licensed roofer etc. He has a good reputation in town. There are a lot of flakes around here. You have to be careful who you use. Most of the contractors here don't want customer work...they like doing new or their own projects. My husband is also a RE Broker so if you want some assistance, we can help you there as well. Let me know when you're ready. :)
New to Real Estate · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 1 vote
4y
@Chris Carr and @Lisa Edwards thanks so much for that info. I was just out in 29 Palms a couple weeks ago checking out homes in the area with my realtor. Of the 5 homes I looked at, 3 of them went under contract within a couple days after I left. Hot and fast market!
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 4 votes
4y
@Lisa Edwards Wow thank you for all of the information that you willingly shared! I'm looking to purchase my first STR property in the Yucca Valley area and I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can. Would love to be connected to any resources that you have(Your husband whom you mentioned was a broker and also your contact for remodels.) Thanks again.