Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
Not sure if many people here go step by step through their process of acquiring and setting up their STR or any rentals for that matter. I am new to STR but my wife and I are under contract expecting to close end of next month. We are buying on the Oregon Coast a small place overlooking Tillamook Bay and a short walk/drive to the beach.
I have so many questions and thing on my to do list I was searching the forums for a step by step, maybe there is one and y'all can post a link, however I am going to work to post the process we go through as we complete our purchase, stage the home, buy supplies, set up our systems. I have been reading for months on how many of you do it and appreciate all the insights.
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
5y
Thanks @Michael Baum. The place next door is selling now. It was FSBO and we likely missed out on a great deal there, but we are excited that the entire area is really coming up, even if there is currently a lot of turnover.
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
5y
So as it turns out I’m replacing some windows which of course are a long lead item so my progress is slow. Still doing some cleaning and painting along the way. And going to get the flooring ready but windows are going to have to be the priority.
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
4y
@Jonathan Stone
Finally got my windows in after getting the wrong parts a couple of times. Getting very jaded with trying to do as much as possible myself. Doing both the design and the work myself is slowing things down. Looking at other options so I can get things moving.
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
4y
We have had so many changes and challenges and I haven't updated this post. But we are now actually moving into this property later this month and have a signed lease at what was our primary. Once living there full time I can get some updated pictures and finish getting the place dialed in. We found 2 leaks that caused moisture behind the walls, leading to mold mitigation and an insurance claim. Still have a bit of work to do but we will get the rest of it done over the next couple of months if we can get some dry weather.
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
4y
Just going to update an outdated post....
We had decided to live in our coast house. We have been living in this place since May of this year. As it turns out, better vacation home than primary. In the meantime I have done a few projects here and there. Life has happened and things didn't move at the speed they could have. I will look to get some updated pictures. The county we live in has put STR permits on hold and we will now be looking to rent via Furnish Finder or similar. After a recent stay in the local hospital here, demand from the teams there have been confirmed. I will update with photos sometime soon as we finish up my last two projects. Bathroom Vanity and protecting the 2nd Floor door from water intrusion as it sits windward and it rains here quite a bit.
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
3y
Here we are 18 months after acquisition with tenant moving in this week. This is not a STR at this point but MTR as they will be there between 3 and 6 months depending on if their work contract is extended. We have learned a ton. Managed to spend quite a lot of time at the coast and often what feels like more driving each way.
Some key takeaways:
If you buy a place that is furnished realize that the furnishings can cover up some flaws. Always plan to clean out any place we buy day 1. Remember to keep contingency dollars for any size project. Don't rely on insurance providers to be fast, it may not be worth the claim when you include holding costs. Just because you could pay someone to do something doesn't mean you can pay someone as there is not always skilled workers available. Multiple times on this project I wanted to hire a carpenter, painter or handyman only to not be able to hire anyone for weeks or months. The work I did hire out I paid a premium as they travelled to the house from the metro area.
Hope this finds you all well. And thanks for any and all advice that was given throughout this process.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Looking good @Jonathan Stone! Normally I would say add some more artwork to the walls to give it more color and pop, but it might not be necessary seeing as you have a short stay long term rental now. :)
Rental Property Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2020 · 284 posts · 202 votes
3y
@Michael Baum - Thanks for the feedback. We did put up just a few pieces of art so it wasn't sterile on the walls. With all the west wall being windows I think I could add something over the bed. Still Figuring out the details on Mid Term Furnished Rentals. Hoping all goes well for both us and the tenants.