STR in Phoenix Area: Recommendation needed on marketing your STR

STR in Phoenix Area: Recommendation needed on marketing your STR

Dublin, CA · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 15 votes

I have a newly setup STR in phoenix. I am looking to get some ideas on marketing my property other than furnished finder. Pour in ideas of what you have used in past or using is actively now?

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5y

Vrbo & Airbnb

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Hey @Prachi Metha, are you marketing it as a medium term (30-90 day) rental for traveling professionals? Furnishedfinders is pretty much just for those kinds of folks.

    Is it for vacations geared more towards the 3-14 day stay? Then AirBNB and VRBO.

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    I want to start with 30 days  to  6 month kind of lease and eventually move to VRBO or airbnb.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Ok, well furnished finders I think is your best bet. Just curious, why not vacation rentals? I do believe that the traveling professionals will be lower maintenance overall.
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Vrbo & Airbnb

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    A lot of snowbirds contact local real estate agents looking for winter rentals.  You could ask how much an agent would charge to list your rental, it may be worth it to have that exposure.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Prachi Metha:

    I want to start with 30 days  to  6 month kind of lease and eventually move to VRBO or airbnb.

     Why? Go where the money is right out of the gate. Not to mention you have much more control over your property.......

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 15 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lauren Kormylo:
    A lot of snowbirds contact local real estate agents looking for winter rentals.  You could ask how much an agent would charge to list your rental, it may be worth it to have that exposure.

    @lauren kormylo Do you know any local agents who just help you market you property vs a full listing control. Please advice.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I use Craigslist and also have a billboard up in the contractors parking lot of a refinery.  I just rent to refinery contractors. Welders, pipefitters, boilermakers, electricians. They are ruffians.  So am I.  If you are a woman trying to do this yourself, I suggest you not follow my advice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Prachi Metha There's a Scottsdale real estate agent on the forum who rents out her STR in the winter, she might be able direct you. @Melanie Johnston It's not letting me tag her, here's her page https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I've got a ton of advice on extended stay marketing. Let me give you some ideas:

    1 - Connect with home builders. They have clients looking for temp housing.

    2 - Create a YELP page that points to your own website. That will help with search engine optimization. Collect YELP reviews ... of course.

    3 – Talk about your STR on your personal Facebook page and offer $100 to anyone who recommends a client that actually books a stay.

    4 - Search for businesses with training programs. They are always in need of housing.

    Well, I've got more suggestions (I teach this stuff) but that should get you started.

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Michael Baum @John Underwood @Bruce Woodruff @Al Williamson Thank you all for some insights. I have listed on VRBO and Airbnb last few weeks back but I am getting no traffic on Airbnb and on VRBO I got some inquiinquiriesry last month but now it is dead silent. I think I am priced pretty reasonable as well for a 3 bed /2 bath with a pool.  What can I be doing wrong?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Hey @Prachi Metha, well that is a bit to be expected. You have a brand new place that has no reviews. You are competing with places that have been running for a few years with plenty of reviews.

    The first year of any vacation/short term rental is always lean. You need to get some reviews under your belt and that will help generate more bookings.

    Have you checked the other places nightly rates compared to yours? You could try undercutting those rentals to get things rolling. It will make your place more attractive to those searching. Make it a bit more of an acceptable risk.

    Have you filled out all your amenities? Please PM me the listing and I will take a look and see if I can offer up some suggestions.

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 15 votes
    5y
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I agree with @Michael Baum , you need to have more reviews before you can get rolling.  You have one 5 star review on VRBO, so that's a good start.
    VRBO shows you are booked through the 25th of July.  Airbnb shows you booked through the 30th of July.  So you need to sync your calendars.  So did you just block your calendar, or are those actual bookings? 

    Remember this is summer, you're not going to find many people who want to stay here in the heat, so bookings will be slim.  

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 15 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lauren Kormylo:

    I agree with @Michael Baum , you need to have more reviews before you can get rolling.  You have one 5 star review on VRBO, so that's a good start.
    VRBO shows you are booked through the 25th of July.  Airbnb shows you booked through the 30th of July.  So you need to sync your calendars.  So did you just block your calendar, or are those actual bookings? 

    Remember this is summer, you're not going to find many people who want to stay here in the heat, so bookings will be slim.  

    Thank you Lauren! I have a tenant for 2 months until July end, but good point I will make sure my calendars are sync well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.