Those That Self Manage Your STR: How Do You Take Direct Bookings?

Those That Self Manage Your STR: How Do You Take Direct Bookings?

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 3 votes

Would any of you all be willing to share what systems you have in place to accept and market your direct bookings?

I understand you need a Property Management Software (PMS) that can link to your direct booking website and some kind of payment processor. Just interested to see what people are using out there. Would love to see some website links as well.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
5y

 We have our own (Wordpress) website. 

I use OwnerRez to manage our bookings so some of their widgets are on our website such as the availability calendar, booking widget, etc.

We use Stripe to process credit card payments.

I hope this helps!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Most of my booking come in from Vrbo, a few from Airbnb. Other off platform bookings I type up a one page lease for their week, get a copy of their drivers license and they send me a check or pay via paypal or similar.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    They respond to my online ads, billboard and other advertising.  We meet at the property.  I show it to them.  They pay me cash or they use a credit card.  I use a Square card reader to charge their card.  It's pretty simple.  You don't need any Property Management Software, and I have 83 beds in 23 properties.  Sometimes I give them a drug screen first, but that is another story.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Hey @Will Parks, so far I have only taking a couple of direct bookings. I get the majority from VRBO and AirBNB. I do what @John Underwood does. I do get repeat guests but they always choose to book through the sites.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 397 votes
    5y

    In Lieu of having a website, I direct any inquiries I recieve from Facebook, Google or zillow to Houfy.com. It is a booking platform that is free for hosts and guests. You can set up credit card payments through STRIPE or SQUARE or take payments how ever you choose. You have direct contact with the guests. The site makes it simple for guests to look at your availability on the calendar, pictures, information & rental agreement. All that you could do through your own websitw. As it grows I hope to get more bookings directly from the Houfy website. I have had a couple that actually found my listings on Houfy, so word is getting around.  I have had quite a few direct bookings in the last week.

  • Property Manager · TX · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    VRBO and Airbnb, I also have a website for my listings where I have the option to direct book. I mostly use the website to boost SEO and have links to my other listings on VRBO and Airbnb. 

  • Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
    5y

     We have our own (Wordpress) website. 

    I use OwnerRez to manage our bookings so some of their widgets are on our website such as the availability calendar, booking widget, etc.

    We use Stripe to process credit card payments.

    I hope this helps!

  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    @Valerie Rogers For your direct booking site, did you use an OwnerRez template or a custom wordpress site?  I've heard google likes wordpress when it comes to SEO.

  • Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
    5y

    Hi @Matt Mertz we have a custom Wordpress website.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.