Rent long term or short term airbnb - in Jackson, TN

Rent long term or short term airbnb - in Jackson, TN

Real Estate Agent 路 Lavinia, TN 路 Member since 2021 路 12 posts 路 13 votes



Small-city short term rental owners/managers, what has been your experience?
I've got a cute, historic home centrally located in Jackson, TN, within 5-10 min of the hospital, universities, downtown, and shopping/restaurants. I've been rehabbing with the intent to rent long-term, but always thinking in the back of my mind that a furnished short term rental with a little personality might work well here. Visiting family members, short term hospital or university staff, maybe a few tourists, and the folks getting squeezed between selling and buying a home or between rentals due to inventory shortage. This is my first non-occupied investment, and I'm hoping this is a non-committal way to try self-managing. Also, I think maybe it will be fun, but I'm certainly willing to hear otherwise! Also, are there any facebook groups/websites/forums/youtubers that have been super helpful (besides BP, obvs). 

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor 路 Tennessee Florida 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
5y

Sure go for it why not? Just make good friends with your neighbors first. Let it rip! 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Tennessee Florida 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
    5y

    Sure go for it why not? Just make good friends with your neighbors first. Let it rip! 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    5y

    Make sure you can get proper permits and or a STR is allowed.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Lavinia, TN 路 Member since 2021 路 12 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @John Underwood Oh, I'm trying! I'm originally from Nashville and watched the rise and fall of STR there, all due to permitting, zoning, and codes. I read the Jackson zoning ordinances, and checked the zoning on other AirBnB properties vs mine (no difference). I'm trying to decide if I should just go to zoning/codes and ask, but worry I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I do. Tell me if you know something I don't?!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Lavinia, TN 路 Member since 2021 路 12 posts 路 13 votes
    5y

    @Luke Carl That is a very good point... I'm assuming so they won't complain, or if they do, they'll complain to me first so I can try to fix it? Also, thanks for the encouragement!! 

  • Lender 路 Asheville NC 路 Member since 2016 路 469 posts 路 317 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alex Jenkins:

    @John Underwood Oh, I'm trying! I'm originally from Nashville and watched the rise and fall of STR there, all due to permitting, zoning, and codes. I read the Jackson zoning ordinances, and checked the zoning on other AirBnB properties vs mine (no difference). I'm trying to decide if I should just go to zoning/codes and ask, but worry I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I do. Tell me if you know something I don't?!

    I agree on going for it! I also saw the rise and fall (馃槀) of Nashville STR. I understand the shooting in the foot fear, but if it were me, I'd wanna get out in front of it. The Nashville fines for rule breaking have been pretty severe to my understanding.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Lavinia, TN 路 Member since 2021 路 12 posts 路 13 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gerald Pitts:
    Originally posted by @Alex Jenkins:

    @John Underwood Oh, I'm trying! I'm originally from Nashville and watched the rise and fall of STR there, all due to permitting, zoning, and codes. I read the Jackson zoning ordinances, and checked the zoning on other AirBnB properties vs mine (no difference). I'm trying to decide if I should just go to zoning/codes and ask, but worry I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I do. Tell me if you know something I don't?!

    I agree on going for it! I also saw the rise and fall (馃槀) of Nashville STR. I understand the shooting in the foot fear, but if it were me, I'd wanna get out in front of it. The Nashville fines for rule breaking have been pretty severe to my understanding.

     @Gerald Pitts You're right, I know you're right. My instincts just keep leading me astray here, so I'm having trouble trusting myself. Maybe it will be a good opportunity to bring some fancy coffee and pastry down to codes and start building those relationships... And if Jackson ever forms an AirBnB "task force", maybe I'll at least get a courtesy call first. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA 路 Member since 2020 路 285 posts 路 318 votes
    5y

    @Alex Jenkins check out tools like Airdna and Rabbu to get a sense for what your property could make on Airbnb. If the numbers don't add up, it might be a better option to go the LTR route. Otherwise go for it with a STR!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Lavinia, TN 路 Member since 2021 路 12 posts 路 13 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jimmy Woodard:

    @Alex Jenkins check out tools like Airdna and Rabbu to get a sense for what your property could make on Airbnb. If the numbers don't add up, it might be a better option to go the LTR route. Otherwise go for it with a STR!

     Ooh, I hadn't seen Rabbu yet, thanks for the suggestion! Airdna told me it was a gold mine, so obviously, I can't trust it lol! I appreciate the encouragement, I'm pretty excited!!

  • Member since 2017 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    4y

    Is your home available yet?

    I鈥檓 looking for a place from now until the end of December.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.