Rental Property Investor · La Jolla, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 8 votes
Hi all,
I just acquired a 5 acre lot in Landers, CA (Joshua Tree NP area). I'm looking at different ways of monetizing the land (not mutually exclusive):
- build a house (conventional build or 3d-print) - there are some compelling options for 3d printing at the moment that supposedly cut down on overhead/time (6 months end to end), but they are coming in around $380-$390/sq ft for price of the project including land.
- create a couple of campsites and rent out on hipcamp in the fall/winter months during the build.
- financing a mobile home and/or RV, renting out on AirBNB, and calling it a day.
That said, I'm looking for a little advice or to connect with others who have gone through a similar project:
Does anyone have experience with any or all of the above strategies? (3d print, campsites, and RV/mobile homes for STR)
Thanks - would love to connect with others investing in the Joshua Tree area!
Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
5y
I am assuming that the zoning will allow all of the above . Manufactured / modular green homes are affordable and commonplace in Joshua tree. I am told that short term rentals are not so easy these days to have . What will city / county allow. On 5 acres I would hope more than 2 units are allowed . Short term rentals with other interesting amenities are demanded . Is the lot close to the national park ? Location is key . I hope this helps .
Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
5y
I am assuming that the zoning will allow all of the above . Manufactured / modular green homes are affordable and commonplace in Joshua tree. I am told that short term rentals are not so easy these days to have . What will city / county allow. On 5 acres I would hope more than 2 units are allowed . Short term rentals with other interesting amenities are demanded . Is the lot close to the national park ? Location is key . I hope this helps .
Real Estate Agent · VA · Member since 2008 · 420 posts · 175 votes
5y
I buy and sell land throughout the U.S. and I agree with comment above. First find out if zoning allows for mobile, RV, and does it allow campsites all year round. In essence you'll be looking for a land that has little to no restrictions. With CA being in a wildfire hotspot, I'd contact county if they allow for campsites.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 16 votes
5y
@Joseph Miller Highly recommend reviewing recent local legislation around glamping/airstreams in the Hi-Desert. I'm pretty sure the county will not provide a STR permit for these type of non permitted structures.
I just acquired a 5 acre lot in Landers, CA (Joshua Tree NP area). I'm looking at different ways of monetizing the land (not mutually exclusive):
- build a house (conventional build or 3d-print) - there are some compelling options for 3d printing at the moment that supposedly cut down on overhead/time (6 months end to end), but they are coming in around $380-$390/sq ft for price of the project including land.
- create a couple of campsites and rent out on hipcamp in the fall/winter months during the build.
- financing a mobile home and/or RV, renting out on AirBNB, and calling it a day.
That said, I'm looking for a little advice or to connect with others who have gone through a similar project:
Does anyone have experience with any or all of the above strategies? (3d print, campsites, and RV/mobile homes for STR)
Thanks - would love to connect with others investing in the Joshua Tree area!
Hey Joseph. I see where you're mind is going and the creativity is great. So in Landers, you're bound by San Bernardino County jurisdiction and under SB County's STR ordinance. See link below:
Regarding the hipcamp idea, make sure you don't need to pay transient occupancy tax on each booking and if you do, you will need to apply for a transient occupancy tax permit. I'm pretty sure you do need to pay TOT and turning it into a campsite is only allowed on commercial zoning.
Do you know what the zoning is for your property?
Someone else will need to chime in about the 3D printing. Sounds cool though. You have utilities close by or on-site?
There are areas in Landers in the Town of Yucca Valley city limits and some areas that are the county. Yucca Valley is stricter than the County, but there have been new changes in the county and I think the allowance of non-conforming STVRS is expiring. It used to be more lax, but the locals have been getting organized and are making their voices heard against what has been going on. There is a Facebook group called "Stop GlampInsanity Now!" You can join and just be kind of quiet...you will get info about what's going on. Of course, they are against all the STVRS, but you get good info on the latest updates. I live here in Yucca Valley area so I see and hear a lot of what is going on.