buying a cabin in north GA mountain without agent

buying a cabin in north GA mountain without agent

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hi, I've seen some posts about STR in N GA (Blue Ridge and adjacent areas). Has anyone done purchase without using an agent? What pitfalls or matters need particular attention with or without an agent? Thanks!

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

Just curious why not use an agent? If it is an MLS deal they pay the agents commission. You'd be short changing yourself. Going by yourself you lose that extra layer of protection and help.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Just curious why not use an agent? If it is an MLS deal they pay the agents commission. You'd be short changing yourself. Going by yourself you lose that extra layer of protection and help.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    I buy and sell lots of properties without an agent. You can negotiate a better price when there is no commission involved.

    Just get an inspection and appraisal and attorney will do the paperwork to close the deal.

    When I sell without an agent I pass the saved commission to the buyer.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    I don’t know how an agent provides any sort of extra layer of protection. Just do your common sense due diligence.  If the seller is paying an agent, that agent is representing the seller, not you.

    Carry on.

  • Helen, GA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    Jeff,

    I own 13 STR in North Georgia and have never used an agent.
    It’s a pretty straight forward process and can save a lot in commissions without an agent.  

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks for the replies, guys! Roy, that's inspiring! I am wondering if there's anything special to buying a cabin. Inspection? View vs size? 

  • Helen, GA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    An Inspection is always good. I wouldn't say there is anything special for cabins over regular properties. But, one thing that surprised me, was before I purchased a STR up here, I thought that the bigger cabins would be better, 3 bedrooms, for example, but We've found that the studios and smaller cabins sell better, because many couples come up to spend time in the mountains.

  • Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 15 votes
    5y

    @Rolly Weaver

    I grew up in Marietta and have been wanting to snatch one up in Ellijay or nearby, but I'm no longer in GA. I manage several STR's, but it does me no good when I'm not there in Ga.

    Do you self manage them or use a PM?

  • Helen, GA · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 68 votes
    5y

    We live in Helen, so we self manage. 

    I actually have a property under contract in Ellijay, too. It's an interesting market. 

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    5y
    Short term Shop brokerage is in that market. They teach you to self manage from anywhere. Highly recommend. Check out the Avery Carl episode of the BP podcast. 

    Originally posted by @Joseph McCrillis:

    @Rolly Weaver

    I grew up in Marietta and have been wanting to snatch one up in Ellijay or nearby, but I'm no longer in GA. I manage several STR's, but it does me no good when I'm not there in Ga.

    Do you self manage them or use a PM?

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    @Jeff Z. if you've never purchased a property before, I would recommend buying the first one WITH an agent. Take detailed notes, and buy your second one without an agent if you feel you can handle it yourself, but there is a lot involved with buying a house and I'd hate for you to not be represented your first time out.

  • Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 15 votes
    5y


    @Gerald Pitts

    Thanks...I'll check it out :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.