Conex Box (shipping container) as Short term rental.

Conex Box (shipping container) as Short term rental.

Chad PantelPro Member
Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 0 votes

Brain storming with a friend about short term rentals. The idea of using Conex boxes was brought up. Has anyone don't this yet? The biggest problem that I've thought of so far is insurance. I contacted an agency and they said that they wouldn't do it. Now that I think about it, I need to investigate how they would withstand against a hurricane. I was thinking, purchasing a lot on a canal w/ ocean access, placing a conex box SFH on it, and adding a dock w/ a boat slip that would be used w/ the rental. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bryson City, NC · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 122 votes
4y

@Chad Pantel I currently have a 20' shipping container home rented on Airbnb and I also worked with a 40' container that is being used as a primary residence, that will be eventually turned into an Airbnb.  I will probably never do another one.  That being said, our 20' Airbnb rental is one of my best performing units.  My location is in a very rural county with no zoning and we were able to use an RV electric service and an existing well and septic.  It is a very cool concept but be prepared for a slog with inspections, insurance, engineering, financing, etc if you are in a heavily regulated area.  It is totally doable but will require some effort, but the end product is very unique.  Here is a picture of my 20'.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 155 posts · 57 votes
    4y
  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 155 posts · 57 votes
    4y
  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2017 · 168 posts · 163 votes
    4y

    @Austin Palacios

    Cleared vacant lots not on the water in the areas my partner who lives down there felt were ok were about 15-30k. Goes up significantly if on the water.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 155 posts · 57 votes
    4y

    And how much are you seeing the containers range from in price ? Are you able to finance any of the deal? @Heidi Kenefick

  • Investor · Bryson City, NC · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 122 votes
    4y

    @Chad Pantel  It took us forever to get the container built out to the point that we moved it on site and incurred some additional storage/warehouse fees (I would highly recommend having an indoor location to work on the container if only doing a moveable one box unit, a multi unit home could be done on site).  I feel like we over finished the unit which also contributed to higher expenses, although I am very happy with the finished product it was expensive.  We also spent a large amount of money on the roof structure, which could have been simplified, but again the core ten steel looks cool so....

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadephia, PA · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    @Kyle H.Do you find any good ways to finance this container?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.