New to REI in Colorado

New to REI in Colorado

New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes

Good morning BP members!

I wanted to introduce myself as a long-time listener/lurker but ready to strap down and get ready for the wild ride of REI. Currently residing just west of Denver in Wheat Ridge, my wife and I are educating ourselves as much as possible and hoping to create our first deal within the next year.

We hope to create connections through this forum whether it be purely business or even personal connections leading to lifelong friendships and are looking forward to everything this great state has to offer.

Hope to meet you all soon!

7Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 14 votes
6y

@Dan Kim let’s talk more. Let me know when we can connect. My office is in Wash Park but we work all over Denver and the metro area.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Victoria TX / Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 94 posts · 96 votes
    6y

    Hello Dan,

    As a fellow Dan, I felt inclined to reach out to say welcome to the world of REI. It sounds like you and your wife are working to educate yourselves and I commend you. Real estate investing is a never ending educational journey. If you have the drive, if you have a passion, then continuing your education is easy. It's fun, even.

    I envy that you are in Colorado. I lived there many years ago in Fort Collins and absolutely love the state. Maybe one day I will make my return and see about getting some properties up there. But until that time, I just wanted to say hi, congratulate you on deciding to take the "wild ride of REI." We are in a great time where the dissemination of information is widespread and the solutions to any problems you encounter are a click away.

    Make sure to keep the BiggerPockets community updated on what you're working on. We all want to toss in some motivation and we all want to see you succeed.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Daniel A., with a name like yours and being from Colorado, I will have to just assume that you're an awesome guy. 

    Fort Collins is beautiful and I actually envy you for having lived there. I love going up there for short day trips and hopefully you can return soon!

    I appreciate you reaching out to say hi and introducing yourself as well!

  • Specialist · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 329 posts · 88 votes
    6y

    Hi Dan,

       Welcome to Real Estate in Colorado. Denver has a great market and will see a good recovery soon, if not already. When you look for deals, make sure you stay close to the comp in size, style and LOCATION. Run your own numbers and don't trust others. 

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim welcome to the forums Dan!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Tim Emery, thank you for the advice and thank you for the intro! I will definitely be keeping my eye out for events and meetups as we look to expand our network.

    Hope to meet you soon!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Steve K., thank you sir!

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim - Welcome to Denver! This is definitely a great and fun place to invest. Lots of good deals out there if you look and be creative. 

  • Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Hey @Dan Kim! 

    I'm also new to REI and am looking to do my first deal in CO. I'm originally from NYC, am working in GA, but will re-locate to CO for work in the summer. I wish you all the best and look forward in meeting you at networking events on & off-line.

    Best, 

    Gabriel 

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 729 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan Kim:

    Good morning BP members!

    I wanted to introduce myself as a long-time listener/lurker but ready to strap down and get ready for the wild ride of REI. Currently residing just west of Denver in Wheat Ridge, my wife and I are educating ourselves as much as possible and hoping to create our first deal within the next year.

    We hope to create connections through this forum whether it be purely business or even personal connections leading to lifelong friendships and are looking forward to everything this great state has to offer.

    Hope to meet you all soon!

     Welcome to the forums Dan, BP is a great resource and I've made quite a few connections on here. Do you know what you and your wife are looking for in a first deal?

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Gabriel Lee

    Thanks for the intro and likewise! Looking forward to connecting!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Haberkost

    Thank you for the intro and I must say, you have a fantastic name!

    We're looking to start small, focusing on SFH or small MFH (duplex/triplex) as we begin our portfolio. We want to make sure we cover everything an mitigate the amount of mistakes so that we know what to look for while we ramp up in the next year or two.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Craig Curelop

    Thank you! Definitely looking to have some fun while we’re out here. It’s aleafy a ton of fun just looking at what each neighborhood has to offer.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Gabriel Lee:

    Hey @Dan Kim! 

    I'm also new to REI and am looking to do my first deal in CO. I'm originally from NYC, am working in GA, but will re-locate to CO for work in the summer. I wish you all the best and look forward in meeting you at networking events on & off-line.

    Best, 

    Gabriel 

    Hey Gabriel and Welcome to Colorado! The market is unique compared to most other metros in the country and offers the opportunity to really get creative with your investing. Make sure to check out the Bad *** meetups around town. Looking forward to seeing you there sometime!

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim I am in Aurora, I like to connect with you and see where we may be able to help each other in the Denver market. I'm new to REI so just networking with others to get the ball rolling.

    Corey

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim Welcome to Bigger pockets. This is a great resource to get you started. What is your investment strategy?

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Grinstead

    Thank you!

    Our initial strategy is to either house hack our first investment (SFH with a finished basement or even a mother-in-law suite) or to go through the BRRRR method for a small SFH or MFH. From there hoping to wash, rinse and repeat the process until we can replace our W-2 jobs with investing full time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 729 votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim haha thank you and likewise! House hacking a small multi or single family property is an excellent way to get started, good luck!

  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim Welcome to the Colorado market. I am an investor in Longmont up north. Education is key in any market! Put BP to work for you. It is a tremendous resource.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Michele King

    Love that area! Thank you for the intro and yes, I plan on making BP work for me as much as possible.

  • Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Hi Dan,

    Welcome to the wonderful world of REI. You have taken the right first step in joining the Bigger Pockets community. They are an amazing resource and helped me with my first BRRRR strategy and countless other tips on REI. Happy to share some of the lessons I learned through the process.

    I own a Denver real estate and property management company. We have helped a lot of investors purchase investment properties and manage them after closing. Happy to chat with you more about investing in real estate.

    Take care,

    Greg

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim

    Welcome to Denver! (Or Wheat Ridge. We'll accept you as a Denverite still.) And congrats on taking some initial steps into investing. My wife and I only bought our first place five years ago, and now we have five doors. Looking to add a sixth. Slow, steady. In another five years, we could probably stop working if we wanted to. 

    Have you spoken to a lender yet? That's always a good first step. 

    Sounds like you've got the right idea. Some of our clients come in with ambitious plans, and that's great an all, but I advise my buyers to keep it simple on the first one. Duplex is great if you can find one or just a solid SFH that will work with rental numbers if you move out. And yes! The mother-in-law/basement apartment setup is awesome for that first-time purchase. I have two Denver clients under contract on such properties right now -- one in Aurora, one in Athmar Park -- and another looking for a similar place in Colorado Springs. It's a great way to get a home that you might like living in and income to offset your mortgage (all while maintaining some privacy that you don't get with the rent-by-the-room strategy).

    Anyway, good luck!

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Greg Pond

    Thank you for the intro and I agree, with just the little amount of time I’ve spent on this site (until recently) I’ve noticed that there is a ton of resources and information to learn.

    I look forward to chatting with you some more regarding property management (as long as that’s ok with you)!

  • Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Dan Kim let’s talk more. Let me know when we can connect. My office is in Wash Park but we work all over Denver and the metro area.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @James Carlson

    Thanks for including me in Denver! Always loved to be associated with multiple cities ;-)

    We haven't spoken to a lender yet. Our strategy is to educate as much as possible, learn the basics (finding a lead source, analysis practice) and then crossing the lender bridge when we get to that stage. Fortunately, I have a core group of friends who have made it really big in REI and plan on going to them and other friends/family for investment capital assistance and if those fail, then going to banks/hard money.

    Funny you mention those areas, we were looking into the Springs and Lakewood as well, I’ll have to dive deeper into the Athmar Park area as it still is close to our jobs if we want to house hack.

    Thank you for the intro and I look forward to keeping in touch!

  • Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Welcome Dan!

    I used to live in Wheat Ridge, that's actually where I met my wife. I currently reside in Arvada, so not too far away from you. Good luck with finding partners and networking. I currently do fix/flip investments and have had projects both in Colorado and South Carolina, and invest in Notes. Please feel free to reach out if you ever want to discuss anything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.